• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith paid rest for Harding HS to go to DC

cota37

Listening to WFNZ right now (Brentson Buckner show) and Steve is on. Buckner was just giving him props for paying $25,000 to the Harding HS Band this morning so that they can fulfill their goal of going to DC to play at Obama's inauguration.

Check out this article from yesterday about them still being short: http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-011109-sjf-harding_band.186eb417.html

Props to Steve!

If you want to listen: http://www.wfnz.com

That's awesome.

It's a shame the rest of the nation will think of Steve punching a teammate in training camp. I wish national media reported all the good things players did. Instead, you hear the latest Pacman infraction. Every now and then on OTL you might actually hear an inspiring story.

(Of course I say this as one of the most inspiring coaches in the league retires.)

Wouldn't you?

He is able to give to charity partially on the government's dime and still claim it on his taxes. Given his recent foray into the business world, wouldn't he be stupid not to?

If this puts his income in a lower tax bracket (doubt it will) def would do it. Otherwise, nope. Its a nice thing to do but I doubt he's losing any money.

I'm enjoying listening to Steve. It's refreshing to hear someone who can actually speak english. I have trouble figuring how what in the heck Buckner is talking about most of the time. He is honestly a tune-out factor.

What on Earth is, "a afalete"?

:lol: and he seriously said when he retired that he wanted a career in the broadcast booth. I mean boof.

If this puts his income in a lower tax bracket (doubt it will) def would do it. Otherwise, nope. Its a nice thing to do but I doubt he's losing any money.

What matter is he made a difference NOW for a bunch of children who may never ever be able to take such a venture.

It was all good, how about accept it for what it is, and quit putting a spin on it.

Depends on how many kids are in the band. You have to have chaperons, and adults/teachers tagging along as well, the cost of chartering the buses, or whether they are flying or not, etc.

If you have 200 people going, at 100 dollars a room, with 2 to a room, that is 10 thousand right there, with no travel expenses, no food, and for only one night. Not sure how long they will be there, but I'm sure it is not a one day trip.

Archived