• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a new stadium?

Skew

3) Screw the current PSL owners and sell new PSLs for a new stadium.

This is what would happen IMO. Perhaps with current PSL owners getting first shot at new licenses and maybe a percentage credit of some sort based on the current PSL value at time of purchase.

Jerry Richardson, myself and thousands of other PSL owners paid $250M to build the stadium.

In 2003 there was a relatively small renovation completed in the club level that had zero effect on the majority of seat owners, but understandable since the largest chunk of game day revenues come from those seats.

In 2008 the team wasted $14M putting in 2 new "big" screens that were outdated and still too small before they were installed. As far as I'm concerned this was an unforgivable waste of money the ticket owners coughed up. The sound system is still horrendous and the screens are incredibly undersized.

If the Panthers were to consider building a new facility and the same method of PSL sales were to be the primary source of financing, I can almost guarantee there will be very few everyday football fans attending games. Charlotte will face the same backlash of the NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys by forcing out long-time PSL owners simply because stadiums today are averaging 3-4 times more expensive than BOA was in 1993. Therefore, PSLs are going to necessarily increase in cost as well to finance a new building. How many PSL owners on this board could easily afford a 300% minimum increase in the price of a new PSL?

I have trouble every year justifying the 100% increase in the price of the season tickets. There's no way I could afford any more money for a new PSL.

If they're thinking about a new stadium in 15 years, they also need to be thinking about the parking situation in 15 years.

BTW didn't the city & county put up the money for the land?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry Richardson, myself and thousands of other PSL owners paid $250M to build the stadium.

In 2003 there was a relatively small renovation completed in the club level that had zero effect on the majority of seat owners, but understandable since the largest chunk of game day revenues come from those seats.

In 2008 the team wasted $14M putting in 2 new "big" screens that were outdated and still too small before they were installed. As far as I'm concerned this was an unforgivable waste of money the ticket owners coughed up. The sound system is still horrendous and the screens are incredibly undersized.

If the Panthers were to consider building a new facility and the same method of PSL sales were to be the primary source of financing, I can almost guarantee there will be very few everyday football fans attending games. Charlotte will face the same backlash of the NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys by forcing out long-time PSL owners simply because stadiums today are averaging 3-4 times more expensive than BOA was in 1993. Therefore, PSLs are going to necessarily increase in cost as well to finance a new building. How many PSL owners on this board could easily afford a 300% minimum increase in the price of a new PSL?

Agreed.

I'm not a PSL owner so I am not going to pretend that my opinion wouldn't be different if I was but IMO when buying PSL's you have to know that eventually there will be a new stadium and that you are going to lose your money.

I thought that the PSL's were a great idea at the time and still do. And I would hope that the Panthers would do something for those who did purchase and have purchased PSL's but in reality that is only a plus and anything would be better than nothing giving that they wouldn't have to do anything.

To me the bigger issue isn't the PSL, it's timing. And the Panther already putting this out there now, 15 years ahead of time, is going to help with that. And a smart organization, which I believe the Panthers are, will say 10-15 years knowing that it will be 15-20 years, which makes them looking even better and the timing perfect.

To me, buying the PSLs was like buying a stock. It's a risk to buy them if you are looking to resell and make money. It's a risk to buy if you are looking to hold onto those same seats for 60 years. When I bought mine, I figured the risk of having to buy new PSLs 20 years down the road from now is a risk I was willing to absorb. If I want to upgrade my current seats, the Panthers will honor the value of my current seats towards an upgrade. I assume they would do something like this should a new stadium be built.

What we need to hope for is a string of 5 straight super bowl wins. Then we can turn BofA into Lambeau South, build a museum, and keep BofA alive forever.

To me, buying the PSLs was like buying a stock. It's a risk to buy them if you are looking to resell and make money. It's a risk to buy if you are looking to hold onto those same seats for 60 years. When I bought mine, I figured the risk of having to buy new PSLs 20 years down the road from now is a risk I was willing to absorb. If I want to upgrade my current seats, the Panthers will honor the value of my current seats towards an upgrade. I assume they would do something like this should a new stadium be built.

What we need to hope for is a string of 5 straight super bowl wins. Then we can turn BofA into Lambeau South, build a museum, and keep BofA alive forever.

I agree regarding the "investment" risk.

I point out, though, that the Panthers honor the amount you PAID for your current PSL, not the "value" of that PSL toward an upgrade. I paid $3900 for mine, which the Panthers now value at $15,000. They won't credit me with $15,000 toward an upgrade.

I agree regarding the "investment" risk.

I point out, though, that the Panthers honor the amount you PAID for your current PSL, not the "value" of that PSL toward an upgrade. I paid $3900 for mine, which the Panthers now value at $15,000. They won't credit me with $15,000 toward an upgrade.

I wasn't clear in my post. What you said is what I meant. They will credit the amount you paid for the seats to an upgrade. Market value be damned.

Still one of the best in the league.

It doesn't have as many seats as FedEx Field, for instance, so there isn't really a horrible seat in the house. FedEx @ like 100,000 can make for a less than enjoyable game, higher up. I've sat at the top at Bank of America, and found the seats alright.

Archived