• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strasburg looks to be headed to Tommy John surgery

Johnny Rockets

Shame for him and baseball. Would put him out till 2012. The original Strasburg thread has been "recycled" by the looks of it but someone (Scrum maybe?) mentioned it and jinxed him. Many pitchers come back throwing harder then before the surgery which would be scary. Hope that is the case for him.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704147804575455463188507840.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

WASHINGTON — The Washington Nationals say star rookie Stephen Strasburg has a "significant tear" in his elbow ligament and probably will have Tommy John surgery.

sucks but honestly, Nationals weren't going to win anything next year anyways.

Josh Johnson, Chris Carpenter, Tim Hudson, Billy Wagner, and many more pitchers have came back from Tommy John and are (obviously) doing fine. I'm not too worried about it(the success rate is like 90% or something.)

It's just a shame because the 2011 Nats season is going to be unbearable to watch, and I can only imagine attendance will be a lot worse.

I hate that he has to undergo that. A lot of players ahve come back form TJ Surgery, but if you can avoid it, it's better.

ESPN did a segment a year+ ago. They said that even High School pictures are undergoing TJ Sugery! NO one under the age of 15 shoudl ever attempt to throw a curve ball! It puts way to much strain on the elbow & shoulder.

I was 14 throwing curves, sliders, off-speed, you name it. At 15 it was early Spring, snow was still on the ground. I was warming up in my back yard for about 15 minutes and threw a curver ball! Tore my arm, shoulder and back muscle. (I had already tore up my knee, so I was never going to make it as a Defensive Tackle or pitcher anyway.)

I know Little Leaque coaches want to win (Why else woudl they try and play players with 5 o'clock shadow and pass them off as a advanced 12 yo?

I think it was Ben McDonald who said that you should be in high school before you ever throw a curve ball. (McDonald was a highly touted picture out of LSU and signed for big bucks like Strasburg with the Orioles. I watched him pitch here in Charlotte. He was on the injured list more than he was the active list.

Archived