• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical Draft & Lockout Scenario

AntiBuc

I hope the Panthers turn it around and have a decent year, but I haven't seen anything so far to make it seem likely. So what would happen if the Panthers have a top 6 pick in the next draft, but there's a lockout that cancels the entire 2011 season? Does that mean they get a top 6 pick in the next draft, as well? If that's the case, would it be possible that the Panthers:

Take a top 6 pick in 2011 for each round (except round 2 due to trade for AE)

(With lockout potential, highly sought after underclassmen will not declare for the draft. It'll be a thinner draft than most, so keep the top 6 impact player rather than trade down)

Let Fox & Staff go so there's no salary for the coaching staff;

Keep the 100+ employees that earn a normal wage like the rest of us on payroll during the lockout and don't have to lay anyone off;

Negotiate hard for a new CBA with a slotted rookie pay system, but too late to have a 2011 season;

Get a new coaching staff in early 2012;

Now if we keep the same draft positions (BIG IF), trade down in the 2012 draft that'll be loaded with seniors and underclassmen and come up with at least two firsts or at least 1 first and 3 or 4 seconds (such a draft loaded with an extraordinary number of seniors and a bunch of underclassmen this time would see several players that normally would go in the first drop into the 2nd round) - all on a new rookie scale

Use amazing amounts of cap room to renegotiate core players - D-Will, J-Stew, R Kalil, J Beason, T Davis, etc.; maybe even a free agent (gasp);

Go into 2013 & 2014 with one of the most talented core group of players in the league;

JR looks like a genius.

Such a scenario is actually better if we perform poorly this year (that part of the plan's working so far) and I don't even know if the draft order scenario is accurate. But if it played out that way, the Panthers could be looking pretty good for the next few years.

So what would happen if the Panthers have a top 6 pick in the next draft, but there's a lockout that cancels the entire 2011 season? Does that mean they get a top 6 pick in the next draft, as well?

Hmm...I've never even thought of that before. I'd like to know the answer. I guess they could postpone the 2011 draft til a time closer to when the 2012 draft would take place, thus it would cover the 2011 and 2012 seasons. But then you'd have to hope the 2011 college kids stayed in shape during those extra months, when they'd normally be in camp. Plus you'd have even more kids to select from so that can't be right.

Or maybe it'd be a lottery system for the 2012 draft, which wouldn't be fair at all.

EDIT: Google informs me it will probably be like what the NHL had to do after their strike. It was a weighted lottery and snake draft.

Archived