• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A good example of what's wrong with our offensive playcalling

CatMan72

So Fox knows and admitted that trying to throw a screen to Peppers side of the field is a bad idea, but Fox doesn't know what side of the field Peppers is going to line up on for any given play because Peppers has the freedom to choose his side.

In our preperation for the game last week, wouldn't you build in the flexibility to audible the screen to the other side of the field?

Our offense is so stiff and basic that we can't even adjust a play when we know it has a high probability of failing...

So Fox knows and admitted that trying to throw a screen to Peppers side of the field is a bad idea, but Fox doesn't know what side of the field Peppers is going to line up on for any given play because Peppers has the freedom to choose his side.

In our preperation for the game last week, wouldn't you build in the flexibility to audible the screen to the other side of the field?

Our offense is so stiff and basic that we can't even adjust a play when we know it has a high probability of failing...

That wasn't likely the playcallling but the failure of the quarterback to pick up where peppers was and to call the screen to the opposite side. Audibles are the quarterback's respomsibility so likely that was Clausen's fault unless of course they are paring down the playbook becuase he doesn't have a grasp of what is going on yet.

But it points out a good point which is how much the offense and playcalling may be affected by the youth and inexperience of the quarterbacks. Problem is that predictable and uncreative playcalling already may be worsened by quarterbacks who don't know what they doing yet.

Plus execution was awful as Clausen hit Peppers in the facemask with that very low throw.

A double whammy.

That wasn't likely the playcallling but the failure of the quarterback to pick up where peppers was and to call the screen to the opposite side. Audibles are the quarterback's respomsibility so likely that was Clausen's fault unless of course they are paring down the playbook becuase he doesn't have a grasp of what is going on yet.

But it points out a good point which is how much the offense and playcalling may be affected by the youth and inexperience of the quarterbacks. Problem is that predictable and uncreative playcalling already may be worsened by quarterbacks who don't know what they doing yet.

Plus execution was awful as Clausen hit Peppers in the facemask with that very low throw.

A double whammy.

I many cases the QB would have the authority to adjust that play on his own, but I wouldn't assume they've given Clausen the authority to do that.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him do much if any checking out of plays. Could be him, or it could be that they've told him to run the play they call.

Either way, they didn't prepare to deal with a situation like that. Peppers is famous for breaking up screen plays and they didn't prepare for what they would do it they called a screen to the side of the field Peppers was on... they just blindly ran the play and it blew up in their face, like they suspected it would.

A double whammy.

Now you are defending the coaches and the playcalling to bash Clausen.

I suppose the screen pass he hit a few drives later (let's assume it was an audible and credit Clausen since it's his fault if the play call doesn't work) was his fault because of the holding penalty downfield.

Now you are defending the coaches and the playcalling to bash Clausen.

I suppose the screen pass he hit a few drives later (let's assume it was an audible and credit Clausen since it's his fault if the play call doesn't work) was his fault because of the holding penalty downfield.

LOL, far be it from P55 to pass up a chance for some Clausen bashing.

P55, we get it - you don't like Clausen. You don't have to jump in every thread and spin every discussion to illustrate that.

It didn't matter who made that throw, Peppers blew the play up. You also assume that Clausen has been given the freedom to check out of plays and call audibles, which is not a safe assumption.

Whats wrong with our play calling?

We can't pass the football. Doesn't matter what pass play we call, we can't do it. Until we can do it, doesn't really matter what play we call.

Re-read my post, our coaching staff knows that throwing a screen to Peppers side of the field is suicide and yet we do it anyways and get the result we expected...

Re-read my post, our coaching staff knows that throwing a screen to Peppers side of the field is suicide and yet we do it anyways and get the result we expected...

Yep, it's sad really...same as our coaches knowing teams will stack 8 to 9 guys in the box yet do nothing to exploit it at all

I many cases the QB would have the authority to adjust that play on his own, but I wouldn't assume they've given Clausen the authority to do that.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him do much if any checking out of plays. Could be him, or it could be that they've told him to run the play they call.

Either way, they didn't prepare to deal with a situation like that. Peppers is famous for breaking up screen plays and they didn't prepare for what they would do it they called a screen to the side of the field Peppers was on... they just blindly ran the play and it blew up in their face, like they suspected it would.

Unless you were in practice all week you have no idea what they prepared for or didn't prepare for. The much more likely scenario is simply Clausen was unprepared and as the opposition DE said he was lost and scared out there. A perfect reason for him to forget what they discussed and for him to make a mistake.

It was a rookie error. You need to get used to it. If Clausen stays in as the starter it is going to happen a lot more this year.

The playcalling may suck but the execution has been terrible as well.

LOL, far be it from P55 to pass up a chance for some Clausen bashing.

P55, we get it - you don't like Clausen. You don't have to jump in every thread and spin every discussion to illustrate that.

It didn't matter who made that throw, Peppers blew the play up. You also assume that Clausen has been given the freedom to check out of plays and call audibles, which is not a safe assumption.

You are the one who is so blind to the obvious that you would blame Davidson for a mistake that was obviously Clausen's fault from start to finish.

And obviously if Clausen isn't given freedom to change plays or read the defense and audible out of a problem, what in the hell is he doing out there in the first place. he supposed is NFL ready, supposedly knew the playbook already because he worked with Charlie Weiss and supposedly able to run the offense.

Now when he looks bad, makes rookie mistakes, can't read the defense, is very inaccurate ( essentially negating everything people said about him coming in) it is all the playcalling and the coordinator isn't giving the freedom to change plays.

The reality is he wasn't ready to play, isn't ready to play and has no idea what he is doing out there. And playcalling limitations are self imposed since he doesn't know how to read defenses and doesn't know what to change the play to if he had to.

This isn't Clausen bashing it is just stating the obvious which plainly everyone outside of homers can see. I said if Clausen starts we are in a world of hurt and we are. It isn't Clausen's fault he is doing the best he can do with his limited knowledge and experience. He is game and trying his best. He can't help that he is very limited in what he can do at this point. Most rookies are. It has only been the last 10 years or so that rookie quarterbacks started in the league when salaries got out of control. Convention wisdom has alwys been that rookies needed to sit and watch for at least a year.

As for this whole thread, you brought it up not me. But if you can't see that the play was Clausen's fault and not the playcalling, you are more hopeless than I thought. And if he can't change a play then it just reinforces what I have been saying all along.

Unless you were in practice all week you have no idea what they prepared for or didn't prepare for. The much more likely scenario is simply Clausen was unprepared and as the opposition DE said he was lost and scared out there. A perfect reason for him to forget what they discussed and for him to make a mistake.

It was a rookie error. You need to get used to it. If Clausen stays in as the starter it is going to happen a lot more this year.

The playcalling may suck but the execution has been terrible as well.

Neither were you, but when I see them throw a screen to Peppers side of the field and hear the HC admit that it was a "bad idea" it's clear to me that the coaching staff was not prepared to deal with it.

You're so ready to blame Clausen for everything, I don't care who makes that throw - it could have been a perfect throw and it wouldn't have mattered.

Let's forget about everything else and assume you are correct and Jimmy was given the green light to audible out of that play - consider the following scenario: You're Fox and you're standing there on the sideline. You have a headset, so you hear that a screen pass is called and you realize it's going to be thrown to Peppers side of the field. You start thinking to yourself: "Come on Jimmy, get out of that play, come on, come on Jimmy" as you listen to him going through his cadence. When you realize he's not going to check out of it or audible to something else, would you not call a timeout?

Better yet, when you gave Clausen the play - would you not remind Clausen over the headset to audible out of the play if Peppers lines up on the side of the field where the pass is going to be thrown?

You are the one who is so blind to the obvious that you would blame Davidson for a mistake that was obviously Clausen's fault from start to finish.

And obviously if Clausen isn't given freedom to change plays or read the defense and audible out of a problem, what in the hell is he doing out there in the first place. he supposed is NFL ready, supposedly knew the playbook already because he worked with Charlie Weiss and supposedly able to run the offense.

Now when he looks bad, makes rookie mistakes, can't read the defense, is very inaccurate ( essentially negating everything people said about him coming in) it is all the playcalling and the coordinator isn't giving the freedom to change plays.

The reality is he wasn't ready to play, isn't ready to play and has no idea what he is doing out there. And playcalling limitations are self imposed since he doesn't know how to read defenses and doesn't know what to change the play to if he had to.

This isn't Clausen bashing it is just stating the obvious which plainly everyone outside of homers can see. I said if Clausen starts we are in a world of hurt and we are. It isn't Clausen's fault he is doing the best he can do with his limited knowledge and experience. He is game and trying his best. He can't help that he is very limited in what he can do at this point. Most rookies are. It has only been the last 10 years or so that rookie quarterbacks started in the league when salaries got out of control. Convention wisdom has alwys been that rookies needed to sit and watch for at least a year.

As for this whole thread, you brought it up not me. But if you can't see that the play was Clausen's fault and not the playcalling, you are more hopeless than I thought. And if he can't change a play then it just reinforces what I have been saying all along.

LOL, so it's "obvious" to you that it's Clausen's fault... but yet you tell me I couldn't possibly know who's fault it was because I wasn't at practice all week?

I guess the same "he shoudn't even be out there" argument would apply to Sanchez last year since they kept him on a very short leash (as they do more rookie QB's). I'd still take a rookie who is not allowed to audible over a veteran who throws an interception 1 out of every 10 passing attempts.

Is it Clausens fault that Moore and Delhomme sucked hind teet, too?

Delhomme didn't suck until 2009. In 2008 we had the highest scoring offense in our history. When Moore went in last year we averaged 30 points on offense in the games he started ath the ned of the season.

I am no Davidson fan for sure but lets gets the facts straight at least.

Archived