• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas on why the mass exodus of defensive coaches happened

Fireball77

Sounds like Hurney wasn't that happy with the defense. I figure Richardson and Hurney helped shake up the defense cutting Henning a few years ago. Seems Fox didn't want to make changes, now he has no choice. I figure there are still lots of good choices out there. I hope Fox isn't happy, he needs to not be complacent as he has been for the past few years. Besides if we really wanted those coaches we would have kept people from talking to other teams like we did last year and locked them up early. The fact we waited so long and allowed them to talk to other teams suggests we would let them go.

I figure Fox convinced Hurney to keep them after some arm twisting but it was too little too late.

At least that is what I hope. At least Marty has balls even if Fox doesn't.

The thing that really sucks the most is that so many guys are now off the market at this late date.

@ magnus...makes sense also

The thing about Henning being fired was that in all fairness to him, he didn't have a bunch of talent to work with in 2004-2006 (though I have heard he had input on players so part of it may have been on him)....certainly not as much talent and/or dollars spent on it as this defense had in 2003-2008. Now, the fact that they went out and got Davidson and brought in some more talent on offense and the unit performed pretty well in 2008 makes the D look like underachievers even moreso than before.

The thing that really sucks the most is that so many guys are now off the market at this late date.

@ magnus...makes sense also

The thing about Henning being fired was that in all fairness to him, he didn't have a bunch of talent to work with in 2004-2006 (though I have heard he had input on players so part of it may have been on him)....certainly not as much talent and/or dollars spent on it as this defense had in 2003-2008. Now, the fact that they went out and got Davidson and brought in some more talent on offense and the unit performed pretty well in 2008 makes the D look like underachievers even moreso than before.

you could say that 2002 and 2004 (injury, I guess) Henning had nothing to work with, but in 06 he had essentially a handpicked team - with the exception of the Wharton injury, he had the guys he wanted. And it didn't work.

That the 2008 team is more talented? Sure. In 2006, though, they had Foster and DW, and a bunch of guys who didn't work out, like Shelton, Mathis that were supposed to be part of the solution.

The end result is that Henning's mouth did him in, to a point - interviews including calling out Shelton. That and his personnel issues. But 2006 was supposed to be a more complete offense than 2005 (another receiver, more backs, a better line) and ended up being less able.

Considering it's well known that they take a week off after the season is over (after the Cardinal's game), I find it hard to believe they were restless because "it took too long for contracts to get made".

Perhaps contracts would be done before the "season/playoffs" are over, but isn't it well known that would only be true AFTER the season?

The 1 year contract makes more sense to drive them away than it taking too long.

Pat Yasinskas doesn't know what he's talking about. He's always clueless and always making it up. Plus he can't write. So why he has a job in that industry is a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, after the Atlanta game, in which the falcunts scored 28 points in the 4th quarter, you could tell that Fox was steaming and rightly so. A head coach, even a former dc, still relies on the defensive staff to keep a team from scoring more than 7 points a quarter. In the 2nd half of the season, despite all sorts of schemes, they were not good against the pass. And so I'm glad that Fox is making changes.

I don't know if I agree with Pat on all the best ones have been signed already.

I think we will see more turnover on teams after the Super Bowl, therefore more to choose from.

If not though, we really could be in a rush to find some bodies.

Archived