• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Panthers could be looking for Fox's heir apparent

jbland

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/1089161.html

Another article on what some have been saying here. More proof Gnatt reads the huddle.

CHARLOTTE -- In a sense, the man the Carolina Panthers choose as their next defensive coordinator won't matter much.

Then again, he might be their most important hire since 2002, if they let him.

The Panthers were flung into fullblown scramble mode late Wednesday night, when defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac told them "thanks but no thanks," after they offered him a two-year contract extension. They weren't expecting him to turn them down, as team officials were confident he was one of the pieces they had secured for the coming year.

It will be interesting to see what course Fox takes. If he goes old-boy, I bet Herm Edwards is our new DC. If he looks for new blood, then it will likely be someone we've never heard of.

I figured that despite the playoff loss, after a 12-4 season the offseason would be pretty quiet. Wow...

For two years running, head coach John Fox had taken over Trgovac's defensive meetings midseason. In 2007, it was four weeks in before Fox bigfooted his coordinator. Last year it took another month before Fox exerted himself. Asked in 2007 if he was worried about undercutting Trgovac's authority in front of the players, Fox shrugged off the perceived slight, replying: "When you're the head coach you're allowed to do that."

We will always speculate exactly what happened with all these coaches and Peppers attitude but we would be fools not to acknowlegde that this was a factor (big or small).

I wish some reporter would do some digging on exactly why Fox got involved. There are enough ex-players around at this point that I'm sure the reason could be found out.

Yea everyone knows he took over at times but the real reason is why?

Archived