• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playing a Cover 2 will make Beason the best LB in the league

unicar15

Beason has very very good ball skills for a linebacker as well as having "elite" speed. Another MLB that had those same attributes...Brian Urlacher. IMO the main reason that Chicago's D was so good was because of Urlacher playing the middle of the field better than anyone in the league. He was one of the best LB in the history of the NFL and the Cover 2 scheme had a huge part in that. I think that with Ron Meeks and whoever we get as a LB coach, Beason could elevate his game to Urlacher levels and be one of the best the game has ever seen.

cover 2 or tampa 2?

tampa uses the MLB more.

we have been using the cover 2 a lot already and getting chewed up. tampa 2 would most likely have taken the holes away from fitz in the playoffs.

With meeks at DC and Beason at ILB we will be able to run a true tampa 2. The big question is how much pressure can we generate with the front 4 with peppers leaving? Another question is who is going to be our 'Derrick Brooks?' The speed and power he brings from the Sam position is much needed for this defense to work.

I'm sort of liking how it'll make Chris Harris look. Bob Sanders part 2?

Not me. The safety is the most important position in the Colt's scheme - more so than the corners. Without a good safety, our defense will be crap. Maybe Godfrey will step. Don't hold your breath with Harris though.

Not me. The safety is the most important position in the Colt's scheme - more so than the corners. Without a good safety, our defense will be crap. Maybe Godfrey will step. Don't hold your breath with Harris though.

Agreed, Harris is pretty terrible in coverage. Peppers, Lewis and Charles Johnson all had more pass defenses than Harris this year.

I was under the impression that Beason was already the best MLB in the NFL.

Harris will not be like Bob Sanders, not even close. Godfrey has more of a shot at becoming a star with Meeks(imo).

Harris is best at hitting, and stopping the run, he should be playing more around the LOS.

Hate to break it to you guys.

We have been using a altered version of the "Tampa-2" since Fox got here.

MOST zone D is a variant of the Tampa2.

we have been using cover 2 a good bit and every once in a while flirting with the tampa 2 but we haven't gone to a true tampa 2.

inconsistencies on the dline has made it hard to go to a true one.

hopefully with a restructured coaching staff and dline we can get some consistency.

Archived