• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Next Head Coach

Mr. Scot

No Cowher?

No retreads at all :nonod:

For one, what's the point of profiling? Everyone knows who they are.

And two, other than maybe Tony Dungy (maybe) I don't think any of them has a shot at the job.

None of the beat writers consider Cowher a serious option. Same for Gruden.

I know this is getting away from the OP, but I'd be very interested in looking at Mike Mularkey the OC at ATL. He's done good work with Ryan and they run a good offense. He has head coaching experience. He did o.k. at Buffalo didn't he? I know it wasn't great, but I believe he had them in the playoffs before he resigned. Most coaches don't do well there. Maybe he deserves another chance and he knows the division.

Not really.

Mularkey's one of those guys that's a better coordinator than head coach.

Are there absolutely no strong candidates from the Belichick tree?

I mean I know McDaniels didn't work out for Denver but Belichick and his staff have probably been the absolute most successful in the salary cap era. Also, we have FO that is probably hands off enough to let the Belichick type system work similar to how it did for New England in 2001 after establishing the system in 2000.

The Belichick coaching tree has Dutch Elm disease.

FYI: We technically have a member of that family on staff in OC Jeff Davidson.

Thanks to a couple of you for clearing things up on Mularkey. I didn't know much about him and was too lazy to do the research. Some guys are absolutely better coordinaters than HC's. Man-is this ever a crucial hire. They cannot afford to screw this up(as if you can ever afford to screw up a head coaching hire).

Are there absolutely no strong candidates from the Belichick tree?

I mean I know McDaniels didn't work out for Denver but Belichick and his staff have probably been the absolute most successful in the salary cap era. Also, we have FO that is probably hands off enough to let the Belichick type system work similar to how it did for New England in 2001 after establishing the system in 2000.

his tree is vastly overrated.

btw im so tired of the national media saying that we won't pay our next Head Coach. this is the ONLY season that JR has been cheap. 1 out of 15. They have no clue what they are talking about. Only JR knows how much he will pay. and history suggests that we will hire who we think fits the mold of the team. I don't believe that money is a factor.

From Gantt's Twitter page...

@Adam_LaClair: Why does no one think Carolina has shot at Harbaugh?

Nat'l misconception that cheap in '10 = cheap forever. He's in play.

The Belichick coaching tree has Dutch Elm disease.

FYI: We technically have a member of that family on staff in OC Jeff Davidson.

Addressed to you and Ray,

I guess you have a point that none of the Belichick tree has had any sort of great success away from Belichick himself. I guess what Belichick does for his team is something no one else under him has been able to emulate effectively. It's hard for me to comprehend that his system in regards to team building is so difficult for anyone else to copy. Perhaps the Reid coaching tree wouldn't be a bad idea though as his team building philosophy is extremely similar to Belichick's

As you can tell I've got a bit of a thing for Belichick's system :D

I guess you have a point that none of the Belichick tree has had any sort of great success away from Belichick himself. I guess what Belichick does for his team is something no one else under him has been able to emulate effectively. It's hard for me to comprehend that his system in regards to team building is so difficult for anyone else to copy. Perhaps the Reid coaching tree wouldn't be a bad idea though as his team building philosophy is extremely similar to Belichick's

Nobody else has as good a video department.

GMs that come from his coaching tree seem to do pretty well. my favorite in the league, ozzie newsome comes from there as does the falcon's dimitroff. i think that pioli will do well as well.

the only coach from his tree that is at all appealing to me as a HC condidate is rob ryan, but that has nothing to do with his being from belichek's tree.

rather than finding the best thing to fall off belichik's tree, i would rather find the next belichik (well, maybe one who doesn't cheat). the available guy i see as most likely to become the next belichik is harbaugh and that has more to do with being able to get the right coaching staff around him and his no restraints philosophy of football.

Thanks for your comments Scot and Ray!

I think I agree with you in regards to finding the next Belichick rather than just a piece of the tree. I hadn't fully considered that while hoping that we would get the next Belichick from only a piece of the system that has made him what he is.

Thanks for your comments Scot and Ray!

I think I agree with you in regards to finding the next Belichick rather than just a piece of the tree. I hadn't fully considered that while hoping that we would get the next Belichick from only a piece of the system that has made him what he is.

one thing i would keep in mind is that the pats benefited from having a great offensive system and found the perfect QB to play it. that system has been in place since the beginning and has been run regardless of who they have had calling plays.

the creator of that system? charlie weis. i don't lioke him at all as a HC candidate, but i would consider him as an OC but he's probably going to be sticking around KC the rest of his life or at least for a pretty good while.

this isn't saying that i would like to bring in weis as OC, either. i think that situation in NE was special. i would also look at what the saints have going right now. it's easy to say that the reason that team is successful is because of brees, but brees was limited in san diego with a more talented cast of players. what made it work so well is the relationship between brees and payton (who i think is one of the top 3-5 coaches in the league and climbing).

the point of that is that it isn't the individual parts, but the situation that they are in...including the relationships. imo, things really line up well here for harbaugh and luck tome come in and be successful. i think that the situation that harbaugh would have here is something that he would thrive in and you combine him with a QB that he already has a really good relationship with and you could easily have something going on that at least rivals what payton and brees have going on. you would have a HC who knows better than anyone what would work with Luck.

there are few situations that could come along for us that would do as well as that one. i thknk both would be successful apart from each other, but both could do much better together.

I like perry Fewll as a candiate for the job but im not 2 sure if the panthers want to go down te giants road again.If the Harbaugh scenario faild i have to agree about Rob Ryan been a candiate I also have to believe Charlie Weis would come into play. For this odd reason, the panthers organziation still have hope into Clausen who better to come in an teach him how to be a QB.Other then Charlie Weis.

Also on a quick note what will have a factor in if harbaugh comes to the panthers will be this. With the panthers having the first round pick you would think they will go with Luck. But alot of people in the Organization believe that Clausen is the guy. If Harbaugh wonts the Job he will want Luck at QB. But the Front office may want Clausen as his QB. Do you think that the panthers going with Clausen will have an effect on Harbaugh by him not getting Luck? It also will tell if Harbaugh cant train a guy to be a NFL QB other then Luck?

Archived