• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Exhibit A of why you don't draft Newton in the 1st round

unicar15

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d4b12b/article/leg-injury-puts-eagles-qb-vicks-status-for-sunday-in-doubt

Even if he is the next Michael Vick he'll still be way to injury prone to be a franchise QB for a decade or more. Its just too much money to pay a 1st round QB for him to get injured and have a short career. Give me a protypical pocket passer any day over a dual threat QB.

eh it's a bit of a weak argument. Players get injured and Vick actually has passed well in the pocket this season.

I see the point about running qbs taking more hits than average qbs but it wouldn't discourage me from taking the best prospect by much.

Look at all the great running QB's (Steve Young, Cunningham, Elway, McNair, Vick, etc) and they're pretty much always fighting through injuries.

Once out of the pocket, they are fair game. Many times, in the pocket they still are. Reid has a legit bitch that the refs don't call the same for pocket passers that they do for running qb. The refs simply don't know how to.

Vick's done much better in the pocket, but his big injury came through scrambling.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d4b12b/article/leg-injury-puts-eagles-qb-vicks-status-for-sunday-in-doubt

Even if he is the next Michael Vick he'll still be way to injury prone to be a franchise QB for a decade or more. Its just too much money to pay a 1st round QB for him to get injured and have a short career. Give me a protypical pocket passer any day over a dual threat QB.

micheal vick is 6'0 213 and cam newton is 6'6 250.....big diffrence...that being said rodgers scrambles enuff to be called a dual threat and has played almost all of their games.injuries arent going to happen just because a player runs alot, it could just as easy happen to a qb in the pocket.

micheal vick is 6'0 213 and cam newton is 6'6 250.....big diffrence...that being said rodgers scrambles enuff to be called a dual threat and has played almost all of their games.injuries arent going to happen just because a player runs alot, it could just as easy happen to a qb in the pocket.

Not true. In the pocket, a QB receives an inordinate amount of protection from the officials (Can't touch the helmet. Can't go for the legs. Can't lead with anything but the shoulder. Can't hit more than a millisecond after the ball's released). Outside, he's just like any other skill player.

I could also make the argument that because Cam Newton has longer legs, it takes him longer to get to the ground during a slide thus exposing his knees, ribs, and head to more trauma. Its just not a good idea IMO. There is a reason that Peyton Manning has the 2nd longest (maybe longest now) active starting streak...he goes down like a lame duck when he feels pressure. Not saying that I want a QB that goes down every time he feels pressure, but I'd rather have that mindset than the "I'm a running back that can throw" mindset.

I could also make the argument that because Cam Newton has longer legs, it takes him longer to get to the ground during a slide thus exposing his knees, ribs, and head to more trauma. Its just not a good idea IMO. There is a reason that Peyton Manning has the 2nd longest (maybe longest now) active starting streak...he goes down like a lame duck when he feels pressure. Not saying that I want a QB that goes down every time he feels pressure, but I'd rather have that mindset than the "I'm a running back that can throw" mindset.

well that being said i think farve exstends plays quite a bit. he rolls around in the pocket as much as anyone and has been durable. i understand what your saying but, just because we label him as a running qb doesnt mean he's going to remain that way. look at mcnabb he was thought be a running qb when he came into the league and grew into something more. freeman looks headed down the same path. just because he can run doesnt me he has to all the time.

Injuries are part of the game. I think Cam could make it in the NFL. He hasn't had injuries in college which is a good sign that his body can take hits without being injured frequently. He is also 6'6 250 which will be hard for defenders to take down. I would love to have Cam on our team even if he is converted into a TE.

Archived