• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If AJ Green is the Pick...

chknwing

If Steve Smith decides to give it another go and not demand a trade. Who would be excited about Ghettis and Green on the outside with Smith in the slot, and with a new OC, maybe alot of 4wr sets with Green, Ghettis, Smith, and Lafell as well as, get this, throwing to the TE. I dont see a defense stacking the box with that, opening the door for our rb's. Most of this would hinge on fixing the oline of course. Thoughts?

u have to pick someone, AJ is the next closest thing to a sure bet now that luck is out.

Bull poo! Put down the damn madden controller and learn about real football. Like Ray Lewis says 'Real football, not fantasy football'. you NEVER take a WR there unless you like being the Detroit Lions.

Bull poo! Put down the damn madden controller and learn about real football. Like Ray Lewis says 'Real football, not fantasy football'. you NEVER take a WR there unless you like being the Detroit Lions.

heh go look, we are the detroit lines.

i like picking WRs with the first pick less than i like picking QBs with the first pick.

That was not the question. If we pick AJ Green in the draft, then JR is making a commitment to offense. Who cares about SS? AJ would be the #1 WR. Smith has said he'd like to move to the slot (#3) WR. Lafell and Gettis could round out the field. In a new, more aggressive system, we could drop a star RB (big contract) and add a star WR (rookie contract). It would also benefit our QBs.

If we adapt a West coast-ish philosphy, we will pass more than run--pass to set up the run. Why is that significant? Because the blocking priorities are different, the play-action is different, and there are more recieving options. Our system is not QB friendly. It puts the QB in must-pass situtations when the running game gets stuffed. Sure, when we are gashing the opponent it makes passing easier, but why pass when you are gashing the opponent. Passing should be attacking and proactive, not reactive.

Beleive it or not, Clausen would thrive in such a system.

Here is what I would do:

Hire Clements, the QB coach at Green Bay, as the offensive coordinator. He has done a great job with Rodgers, but if you to know how good he really is, watch the tape on Flynn from several days ago. Awesome. He could take average and busting QBs and make them good. He knows how to get the most out of QBs with limitations-he was one.

Next, consider Musgrave as the head coach. The same guy who walked out on Seifert in 2000. His system would be laden with West-coast principles.

If we open things up like JR said, we will need one less superstar RB and one more superstar WR. If Smith stays, he will do well in the slot. If he leaves, we still have an AWESOME group of big, fast WRs.

I'm warming up to Green as the pick. The defense would play much better if they had more than a 2 minute break between going on the field, and with a healthy o-line and a FA vet QB I think Green could definitely help make that happen.

I would like it. Smitty is not #1 receiver material (he doesn't want to be). I think Green/Smith/Gettis would be a very nice WR set with LaFell the 4th.

As far as "who will throw him the ball", you gotta look big picture. We sign a FA to help Clausen. If Clausen pans, out great. However, if he fails miserably again this next year, we will be in contention for Luck again.

Who was the last WR to go number first in te draft? Was is Keyshawn Johnson? I just don't feel that WR is as big a priority as other positions and while Green may be a great player we've got the ENTIRE board to work with to find the not only a great player but a great player for our team. Our FO/scouting dept needs to really work with our new coach to determine what our biggest weaknesses are and target players that are the best value for a number one pick. We've got months to watch film and study combine results and get the best player and we don't have to worry about that player getting ****** up before we get him

Even with the fantasy that Luck was gonna declare i thought we should trade down to fill other spots. So i know we have several areas that need upgrading. QB, OL depth, DT X2, WR, and CB. People forget that we have salary room and trade bait. FA and trades can be made. In the draft there are a couple high value picks. Here they are in no particular order.

1. Franchise QB/ NO ONE

2. Disruptive pass rusher DE/ Bowers

3. Number 1 WR/ Green

4. Shut down CB/ Peterson

We add a vet QB and give him a WR with Greens ability plus a OC and HC that can open up the offense and it will be a huge turnaround.

Archived