• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In This Thread I Talk Rationally About Drafting A QB #1 Overall.

SmootsDaddy89

We have our needs and wants confused. We desperately need a QB who can start in 2011. Any veteran who can be a competent starter will do. We are also on the lookout for a franchise quarterback, but that is a luxury that the majority of the NFL does not have with good reason - they are hard to find.

I'm going to posit that none of the QB prospects in the draft can be relied on to come and start this year. If you cannot see this, there is no point in reading on.

So we need to sign a FA veteran who can be a reliable starter whoever that is. This satisfies the primary need - a QB who can start in the short term. Assume that the Panthers like one of the QB prospects as a potential franchise guy and draft him. That leaves us with

New FA QB

Rookie QB

Jimmy Clausen

Tony Pike

Matt Moore

Now we have 3 guys who are need a lot of development alongside Matt Moore and the new FA QB who will need to adapt to the new offensive scheme. You would have to resign Moore because there is not much experience behind the new FA guy. Inevitably we would have to cut Clausen or possibly Pike before the mini-camp/OTA because you can't have 5 people sharing snaps. Competition is all well and good but with OTAs/preseason likely to be shortened we cannot afford to have 5 QBs splitting snaps and end up under-prepared going into the season.

To suffice - I'm all for the Panthers drafting another QB if they feel he is legit but only if they devote enough time and resources to the guy. What would piss me off is we held on to Clausen/Pike and hinder the progress of the new guys.

------------------------------------

Matt Moore is not coming back. The only two QB's on our roster is Clausen and Pike.

I also doubt we sign a veteran QB we will likely give Clausen next year to prove he can be a starter in the NFL. Clausen deserves that chance also.

So don't worry we are not going to have five QB's on our team next year.

If we do sign a Vet we will cut Pike or send him to practice squad and have three QB's on opening day.

Why is everybody so convinced that the Panthers can't sign a veteran and draft another QB? 3 QB's is plenty, so they could sign a vet, draft Gabbert or Newton and let one of them compete with Clausen. They don't need Pike or Moore if they're not planning on playing them anyway.

Once again, this notion that a top 5 QB absolutely has to start right away is ridiculous. The main objective is to protect your biggest investment for the long haul, not to make the fan base and talking head media types happy in the short term.

:smilielol5:

waits for KT to slap down this thread with racism

Im looking forward the mass exodus of "Panther fans" from this board and our fanbase in late April when we take Cam Newton #1 overall. You "there are no good QBs in this draft since Luck aint coming out" folks get your Matty Ice jerseys ready. Yall are about to become Falcons fans! :lol:

:smilielol5: Didn't take long.

KT is just too predictable. :smilielol5:

You really need a new act KT.

Defense will be the pick. That pick will also fill a major need.

That pick will be Fairley.

Newton, to many, isn't even the best QB in the draft so rule him out. Plus, we can't afford for him to sit and learn while transitioning from RB to QB.

Gabbert isn't 1st pick material and would still require time on the bench to develop.

I don't think any QB's go in the top 5, maybe top 10.

I remember when people thought Sam Bradford couldn't come in and start, either. Not saying that Cam Newton will be able to or not, but the idea that none of the QBs in this draft could possibly start for a team is IMO a bit silly.

Now, the offense would obviously need to be tailored to the rookie, but is that anything new??

Defense will be the pick. That pick will also fill a major need.

That pick will be Fairley.

Newton, to many, isn't even the best QB in the draft so rule him out. Plus, we can't afford for him to sit and learn while transitioning from RB to QB.

Gabbert isn't 1st pick material and would still require time on the bench to develop.

I don't think any QB's go in the top 5, maybe top 10.

Gotta love how you've made up your mind that Newton can't pass. The fact is, he can make all the throws and he will make 90% of them better than Clausen ever will.

The guy just set the NCAA record for passing efficiency, which is pretty damn good for a "RB". Michael Vick never even had one season in college with a 60% completion rate and has never made it through an NFL season without some kind of injury, but he was good enough to go #1 and a lot of people wanted to sign him.

I think its sad how people have thrown these young men under the bus all because they are so on Andrew Luck's nuts. Luck will fail these dudes and wont live up to what people on this board thinks he is. This isnt just about Newt, I feel bad for Mallet, Locker, etc that people are just writing them all off as trash and they wont accomplish anything. Some of these guys are gonna produce. Not saying they're gonna be Marino or Elway, but to act like there is 0 talent at QB in this draft is nothing but rejected Andrew Luck lovers talking.

I remember when people thought Sam Bradford couldn't come in and start, either. Not saying that Cam Newton will be able to or not, but the idea that none of the QBs in this draft could possibly start for a team is IMO a bit silly.

Now, the offense would obviously need to be tailored to the rookie, but is that anything new??

Bradford took a lot of snaps from center at OU, was used to 3-5-7 step drops, reading D's pre-snap and then going through his progressions. He was an accurate, polished passer who biggest question was his rehab and subsequent durability.

No other QB in this draft can say this. Rams knew there was a chance he would start.

We drafted a QB last year, we won't do it again this year.

Panther fans have been saying for years that there is no QB worth taking with their 1st round pick and that there were more important needs to take care of first, yet some of the QB's this team has passed on have been pretty damn good and we we still don't have that franchise player to lead this team.

If now is not the time to stop with this conservative attitude and start gambling and swinging for the fences, then when will be the time? As excited as everybody is about the new coach, he will never get us to the promised land by signing some decent veteran QB and hoping for the best with JC. That's not to say that I've given up on JC or that he will never be any good, but does anybody really believe that he will ever be a star that can lead us to the Super Bowl? I sure as hell don't.

I think its sad how people have thrown these young men under the bus all because they are so on Andrew Luck's nuts. Luck will fail these dudes and wont live up to what people on this board thinks he is. This isnt just about Newt, I feel bad for Mallet, Locker, etc that people are just writing them all off as trash and they wont accomplish anything. Some of these guys are gonna produce. Not saying they're gonna be Marino or Elway, but to act like there is 0 talent at QB in this draft is nothing but rejected Andrew Luck lovers talking.

I haven't seen what you're talking about.

What I do see is rational thoughts on why none of these QB's are worth the first pick. No one is saying they can't/won't succeed in time, but the Panthers need to get better now, not 2-3 years down the road.

Take someone like Fairley, Green, Peterson or Bowers and improve this year, or reach for a QB and hope they learn the NFL game in a couple seasons.

The Luck love is well deserved, he's shown that he can already do everything- no one else has.

Right, half of the posters on this board fell in love with Luck before they ever knew anything about him other than a couple of highlight clips and what analysts were saying.

I've got news for y'all...those analysts are wrong about players every single year, and that includes some of these "can't miss" QB's who they all agreed on. Just the fact that some of them had Jake Locker as a #1 pick last year should be your first clue. Cam Newton is a better passer right now than Locker will ever be.

Archived