• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should NEVER want our players to go to the pro-bowl:

rayzor

I always hated Pro Bowl week. It wasn’t so much the week before the game that I dreaded, but the week after the Pro Bowl, when players returned to the mainland with lots of new thoughts, ideas, opinions and demands that were fresh in their minds from their trip to the islands.

There is no other gathering on the calendar of NFL mega-talents like there is in Hawaii the first week of February. Because of that, there are also plenty of agents, advisers, enablers and hangers-on. The “whisper crews” are out in full force, whispering in players’ ears about how their team is not treating them right, how they are underpaid, how their agent should be fired based on his lack of aggressiveness in pursuing a better contract, better treatment, etc.

The ringleaders of the whisper crews at the Pro Bowl are usually agents, using the trip as a productive way to spend time amidst the cream of the crop of NFL stars, many poised to cash in significantly in the coming weeks, months or years.

Drew Rosenhaus is always an omnipresent sight during Pro Bowl week, whether at the players’ hotel, at official events, in the lobby, at the pool, in their rooms, wherever. Drew finds a way to visit with players who may be potential targets for future representation, telling them that he is the one who can make them wealthy, be there for their every need and make their career aspirations come true. Drew usually has plenty of clients in the game who echo his message in hopes of converting the unenlightened about his prowess, among them motor mouths such as Chad Johnson, Clinton Portis and Terrell Owens.

more

and peppers took the whole defense down there.

awesome.

it isn't just rosenhaus.

it is the collective players and agents all gathered together. agents want more business and the only way that they are going to do that is to sew the seeds of discontentment.

there are always players like boldin is there now who is incredibly happy with their situation and want others to share in their misery by getting other players to question their own teams and contracts.

it is a time that these "superstars" can get together and stroke each other's egos in one star studded psychological circle jerk. they leave feeling like they are owed much more than they are getting and see little more than dollar signs when they land back home.

i just wonder what kind of calls hurney is going to be getting from our players next week and will there be more than usual because our whole defense will be there.

lol... Perhaps he will be that generous.

Look, the pro-bowl has been around for years, and years, and years. These are grown men with great character. I would venture to say, you have to realize those who are swayed are discontented already and those who are happy (with good character) won't be affected. If they have bad character, sure, they may come back with some "new ideas"...

but we sent off good character guys. We just made it to the playoffs, and really, should have went further. These guys know this. If they are swayed that easily, and already making great money, then we'll find someone to replace them.

The NFL isn't irreplaceable. How many "SUPERSTARS" do we have? And when I ask that, I am referring to on a National level.

We have 1, maybe 2. Peppers. And Smitty. (But if you think about it, how much recognition does he really get.. Compared to Fitz, TO, Moss, etc...) Anyhow, we have done very well with who we have. Noone is irreplaceable.

Rosenhause does his job.

I think he is a self-aggrandizing, egomaniacal, star fuging, bullshitting FAKE AS HELL MF, but that is very true.

Panthers have never had a problem with him, because the Panthers treat their players well, and have quality guys.

When it comes to Outhouse, I tend to worry that they get along so well because they give his clients too much $$ for what they are actually worth on the field...:D

it isn't just rosenhaus.

it is the collective players and agents all gathered together. agents want more business and the only way that they are going to do that is to sew the seeds of discontentment.

there are always players like boldin is there now who is incredibly happy with their situation and want others to share in their misery by getting other players to question their own teams and contracts.

it is a time that these "superstars" can get together and stroke each other's egos in one star studded psychological circle jerk. they leave feeling like they are owed much more than they are getting and see little more than dollar signs when they land back home.

i just wonder what kind of calls hurney is going to be getting from our players next week and will there be more than usual because our whole defense will be there.

And who exactly had a great year on the defensive line and will be a free agent this year other than Peppers. They can bitch all they want but until they produce the numbers to back up their claim or in a contract year status, it is all just talk and ego. That and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee.

@ bleys, i see where you are coming from and i agree to an extent. i just don't like the probowl anyways.

this is just another reason to not like it.

you got to admit that gatherings like this cause agents mouths to drool and the only way that they are going to get more business is to try and get players to let him change their situation. if they are happy then the agents will try and create a need telling them that they deserve more and he can get them more. the last thing any agent wants is to have all of their clients content. you don't get paid if your clients are happy and in a long term situation.

That's because Brandt used to work in the Packers FO. Of course he didn't want his players going to the Pro Bowl... not only because of the agents but also because his players probably had clauses in their contracts requiring more money should they be elected to the Bowl

I don't really have a problem with the Pro Bowl being a "recruiting" fair. It realistically only applies to guys who are set to be free agents, and our guys "recruit" too.

As to the Panthers and Rosenhorsesass, I've always thought the reason why we haven't been in the news about some major blowup with him is that Marty Hurney isn't a colossal ego like Bill Polian, A J Smith or some other GMs.

A lot of these guys turn it into a pissing contest because they want to show they're "the man" by besting Rosenhaus. Hurney, on the other hand, just sits down and talks numbers like a reasonable person. No ego, no issue.

Archived