• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So let me get this straight, you guys hate Clausen and Edwards yet...

thunderraiden

Cam Newton isn't a lethargic mess that didn't have the heart to learn the playbook and train every day such as Russell... From what I've read he's a guy who works in the training room and out throwing(even in the rain) to get better and get to his goals.. I don't know why the comparisons even come up...

I want him on this team because Clausen just doesn't seem to have a leaders presence about him..I don't see how he ever can..adding in how awful he was last year doesn't hurt the argument.

I'm taking that what you said means that you would not want to draft Newton and let him develope and instead find a QB that will be "decent" and thus get the team to a .500ish record next year.

So my question to you would be, you are willing to sacrafice the potentiel of having a great QB who in 3 years could possibly make the team to a SB contender for a 7-9 season next year?

I'm actually not on the Cam Newton bandwagon yet. Might not ever be. But I do believe Panther fans need to stop thinking about just the 2011 or even 2012 seasons and start thinking more long term. Same logic needs to be applied to the situations revolving around Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams. What's best for the long term success of the team and ultimently winning a Super Bowl?

I'm not saying to not draft him or draft him.

Newton is a project. He has potential to be great QB b/c of his talent and intangibles but you can't draft and plug him in like a Matt Ryan.

Carolina needs to find some average QB play.......that guy will allow the offense to run/grow while a future QB gets the basics under control.

I don't see the logic in continuing to stick young QBs on the field who aren't ready(Clausen)......especially in a new offense. It prohibits the rest of the team from doing what they need to do. Need a band-aid so the rest of the team isn't falling behind while they search for the future franchise QB.

call me crazy or delusional, but i think newton could put forth an average performance as a rookie, but a lot of it has to do with the game plan, play calling, and the tools around him. look at the amount of success VY had as a rookie. he did pretty well for being a rook. he just wasn't able to grow past that. that natural ability will come into play for him, but it's his ability to learn and grow that will take him far beyond the guys he's lumped in with.

any new QB is going to have a similar game plan...lots of running and throws made are going to be safer. teams will have to adjust to him and because of his potential threat as a runner could do pretty well as teams get more tape on him. they'll get things figured out, but it would be up to him and the coaches staying ahead of the curve and thats where being able to adjust as a coaching staff and newton being coachable will come into play.

i have very little doubt that newton would do better than clausen did last year. coaching would be the big differnece, but i also think tht his size, strength and ability as a runner would also help him get the team downfield more. he also seems to be a lot more respectable and more of a natural leader than clausen. people will line up behind him better than they did clausen.

call me crazy or delusional, but i think newton could put forth an average performance as a rookie, but a lot of it has to do with the game plan, play calling, and the tools around him. look at the amount of success VY had as a rookie. he did pretty well for being a rook. he just wasn't able to grow past that. that natural ability will come into play for him, but it's his ability to learn and grow that will take him far beyond the guys he's lumped in with.

any new QB is going to have a similar game plan...lots of running and throws made are going to be safer. teams will have to adjust to him and because of his potential threat as a runner could do pretty well as teams get more tape on him. they'll get things figured out, but it would be up to him and the coaches staying ahead of the curve and thats where being able to adjust as a coaching staff and newton being coachable will come into play.

i have very little doubt that newton would do better than clausen did last year. coaching would be the big differnece, but i also think tht his size, strength and ability as a runner would also help him get the team downfield more. he also seems to be a lot more respectable and more of a natural leader than clausen. people will line up behind him better than they did clausen.

I agree. You don't want your rookie QB being punked out by a Steve Smith. Every team has those guys. I think Cam would challenge him for more respect.....you can still do that and acknowledge you are rookie.

I agree. You don't want your rookie QB being punked out by a Steve Smith. Every team has those guys. I think Cam would challenge him for more respect.....you can still do that and acknowledge you are rookie.

cam's pretty much a foot taller than smith and built like a DE. that on it's own would help him out. clausen looking like some punk pushover really didn't help him any.

I 'think' the issue is exactly what you mentioned. VY was thrown in early and played well, but what it stopped him from doing was learning things slowly and properly, so that when he did get into games he resorted to old habits. It could explain why he never really progressed.

It's like fixing any technical aspect. If you try and do it slowly when there is no pressure, you can slowly make it your natural way of playing. If you try and fix things when pressure is on, you subconsciously resort to playing quick and how you used to play, because it's natural.

If Cam is to be picked and he works hard and is given time to do the proper things right so they become his natural reaction, he could be a fantastic player. If he is forced to start early, due to the speed of the game and how much increased pressure he will be under, he will resort to his natural instincts and play how he did in college.

I 'think' the issue is exactly what you mentioned. VY was thrown in early and played well, but what it stopped him from doing was learning things slowly and properly, so that when he did get into games he resorted to old habits. It could explain why he never really progressed.

It's like fixing any technical aspect. If you try and do it slowly when there is no pressure, you can slowly make it your natural way of playing. If you try and fix things when pressure is on, you subconsciously resort to playing quick and how you used to play, because it's natural.

If Cam is to be picked and he works hard and is given time to do the proper things right so they become his natural reaction, he could be a fantastic player. If he is forced to start early, due to the speed of the game and how much increased pressure he will be under, he will resort to his natural instincts and play how he did in college.

here's where i differ on learning... most people learn better on the job. hands on is the best. you get in there and improve while you work.

you see mistakes or have them pointed out to you and then are shown what needs to be done to improve. best way to get used to the speed of the game is to get in it. sitting and watching from the sidelines isn't going to help.

again, this is where being coachable and having a strong work ethic and desire to improve comes into play as a player. this is where as a coaching staff, having a lot of patience and ability to help your players grow at their own pace comes into play as well.

i agree that he is a project, but every QB is until they are an established vet with a few years experience. there's very little reason that we should sit them on the sidelines and it goes against what richardson was upset at fox for. richardson wanted the young guys to get in the game and get experience. fox only wanted experienced players and didn't want to have to bother with developing anyone.

i'm against anything that doesn't give the future of the team real experience. it can only help in the long term.

I'll say one thing about learning on the job. This isnt some normal job where u can just learn on the job. Starting as a QB in the NFL as a rookie is something none of use would be able to fathom unless put in that situation. We can say all that from the experience we have had in life and in the workplace but we as posters and fans on a messageboard of a team will never know how hard it really is.

I'll say one thing about learning on the job. This isnt some normal job where u can just learn on the job. Starting as a QB in the NFL as a rookie is something none of use would be able to fathom unless put in that situation. We can say all that from the experience we have had in life and in the workplace but we as posters and fans on a messageboard of a team will never know how hard it really is.
except that is what they have been training for and what richardson wants to happen.

it's not like us bunch of fatties sitting at a computer all of a sudden jumping in there. these are gusy that have actually trained for it physically and mentally. they are usually more ready for it early on. the vast majority of players that are successful are able to start from day one (or year one) and grow with it.

btw...don't take this to mean that rookies or young players are entitled to start. thats not what i'm saying at all. if there is some well established vet doing a good job in front of him, he should keep it until the guy behind him shows that he can do the job just as well (or at least with little drop off). if you are in a position where there is no real established competition in front of you, there is more incentive to get you in earlier. if the plan is for you to take over the full time job, they should get you in as early as possible.

i'd rather pick up the next big ben or steve mcnair than sit around for alex smith to reveal himself to yet another team.

thanks, though.

And you can prove Cam Newton will be the next big Ben? McNair ? Both didn't have the knocks on them newton does esp the fact he is horrible at reading defenses.

And you can prove Cam Newton will be the next big Ben? McNair ? Both didn't have the knocks on them newton does esp the fact he is horrible at reading defenses.

For as many "knocks" as Newton gets, he gets twice as much praise from people who have played with him, coached him, or worked with him.

So far, the only people knocking Newton are people who make critiques of his "issues" while admitting they never watched him practice or prove these "issues" aren't legit.

dude can learn and has as much to learn about reading defenses as any QB who comes into the draft not named andrew luck.

i can't prove he'll be a success anymore than you can prove he's going to be a failure. you don't know what he's capable of and you aren't willing to have an open mind about it. there is a risk involved and you are unwilling to take it regardless of how high his ceiling is. imo, there is enough potential, intelligence, work ethic to help himself reach that potential and we have a teaching/coaching staff that can help him reach it. we have enough of the right tools around him to make it happen. it's worth the risk.

what is going to seperate him from those faiulures you lump him in with is his ability and desire to grow, which is much greater than your list of failures.

You guys hate that Clausen and Edwards sucked in their first season, yet you want to get a QB at the number one pick in the draft that will undoubtly not look good for at least two years and could very well be the next JaMarcus Russell.

I don't care if we draft rookie QB's for the next three years in the first round as long as we eventually get a perennial pro-bowler. If we happened to have a team that could get to the playoffs with a serviceable vet QB, then i would be all for it. But Alex Smith, Billy Volek, or Vince Young most likely isn't going to be the answer... Playoff teams have stud QB's. We don't.

Archived