• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What kind of team are we trying to be?

Mesmer

My primary concern is that we really won't have enough money to really improve the defense immediately with how well we're invested offensively. They've got a big potential signing coming up with Gross, and after that, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room.

The only position on defense that I'd say we're really solid at, would have to be linebacker. No, Diggs isn't fantastic, but he's good enough. He's probably going to have to do with the holes we have along the defensive line, and in the defensive backfield.

We weren't really able to generate a good pass rush last season off the front line, and I think it's safe to say that Peppers will not be playing here next season. Every other player is a situational player. The best pass rusher left on the line is probably Lewis. While he's not bad, we're going to need more than that. I predict most of the defensive line additions will be done through the draft, but then you've still got a hole at cornerback.

It's unlikely that Ken Lucas will be here next season. That leaves a hole at the other starting CB position that I'm not sure I want Richard Marshall filling.

The defensive line has always been our strength in the Fox era, but now it's basically in shambles. I fear we may not have the means to make it formidable for next year. Does that factor into the decision making process this offseason? Do you think about just loading up offensively, and then just hoping the defense can play good enough to win? Or do you try to reverse the trend, and restore the defense as the dominant unit?

Don't agree with your gloom and doom assessment.

If we trade Peppers and do some restructuring to a few contracts I figured even after we sign Gross to a huge contract we could easily have 15-20 million to play with. That should do some significant upgrading. We also have guys who can step in and contribute.

Gamble is solid and with some good coaching I am hopeful Marshall will improve significantly. Lucas isn't gone yet although I could see us upgrading there. Our safeties will be very good this year and we have some decent backups who could see more playing time. So by my calculations we need one good cornerback this year if we let Lucas go.

As you say the linebackers are solid with good depth as well.

I really don't agree that the line is in shambles. We do need to replace Peppers and Lewis is recovering from surgery and is a question mark. Still there are bright spots. Brayton had a career year last year and will likely only improve with more playing time. Charles Johnson is another guy who came on at the end of last year and could end up starting and seeing lots of PT especially in pass rush situations. Walker is a solid backup who started before while Gibbs and Hayden are both young guys with plenty of upside. Lewis may or may not come back but we could replace his 4 1/2 sacks relatively easily. Kemo will be stout in the middle as usual leaving only Peppers to replace. Sure it is a big hole but we should have money to get anyone we want or more likely the best guy we can get. I would like a big DT to go along with Kemo in Minnesota's style of the William's brothers up the gut. And then we try and find an edge rusher to help with pressure. It isn't going to be easy but we have had a knack of finding good guys who are other folks castoffs. Once of the best ways to get sacks is have a good secondary which allows coverage sacks. Something we haven't had in years.

So in summary I don't think things are in shambles and I do think we have more oney than we have had in some time once Peppers is traded. I am optimistic that Meeks can do a good job since he has always had to do more with less given that Indy only spent 35% of their money on defense.

we want to be like pitt...

You're right. Mr. Richardson told us that he wants to model the Panthers after Pittsburgh (and that was well before Pittsburgh became Six-Burgh).

He has made this fact well known, so perhaps we should have a thread/discussion about the identity of the Panthers from this perspective.

Great post and insights and there is probably some truth in what everyone has said.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is a possible changing of the guard i.e. Mark Richardson taking more of a control of the over operation of the team. One can only assume that Mark is currently running the entire operations now with all of the medical concerns with Jerry. Could this have played into the defensive coaches leaving? Could this have played into Peppers wanting to leave? Questions that are probably not going to anwsered for the general public's knowledge.

I don't dislike Mark Richardson but I think most would say that he has a different take on running an NFL team than his fahter has. This could be a good thing in the long run or a bad thing and only time will tell. But I would say that moving forward the type of team that the Panthers assemble will more than likely be the vision of Mark Richardson rather than Jerry Richardson.

You're right. Mr. Richardson told us that he wants to model the Panthers after Pittsburgh (and that was well before Pittsburgh became Six-Burgh).

He has made this fact well known, so perhaps we should have a thread/discussion about the identity of the Panthers from this perspective.

I think Richardson wants to be like Pittsburgh not from a talent or scheme point of view but how they run their franchise.

Build through the draft, retain coaches long term, create a long term plan and stick with it. Get a core of young players, lock them up for their careers and develop consistency both in developing a winning tradition and personnel.

From a team point of view, develop a loyal group of physical blue collar guys with an emphasis on an aggressive defense. The offense doesn't have to be that good but it needs to control the game with a ball control system of running and short to medium passes.

How do we stack up? Over the first 10 years not so good, but it the last 4 or 5 much better.

We are building through the draft and we have a core of young talent who we are working to lock up long term.

If we want to follow their system we need to lock up our coaches long term, develop more consistency, recreate a more aggressive defense and keep the offense we have.

Above all we need consistency and developing a winning tradition. It starts with the coaches, much to the chagrin of those who want to fire Fox on a weekly basis after a bad game.

I think Richardson wants to be like Pittsburgh not from a talent or scheme point of view but how they run their franchise.

Build through the draft, retain coaches long term, create a long term plan and stick with it. Get a core of young players, lock them up for their careers and develop consistency both in developing a winning tradition and personnel.

From a team point of view, develop a loyal group of physical blue collar guys with an emphasis on an aggressive defense. The offense doesn't have to be that good but it needs to control the game with a ball control system of running and short to medium passes.

How do we stack up? Over the first 10 years not so good, but it the last 4 or 5 much better.

We are building through the draft and we have a core of young talent who we are working to lock up long term.

If we want to follow their system we need to lock up our coaches long term, develop more consistency, recreate a more aggressive defense and keep the offense we have.

Above all we need consistency and developing a winning tradition. It starts with the coaches, much to the chagrin of those who want to fire Fox on a weekly basis after a bad game.

This is what Steve Reed from the Gaston Gazette said at the time about his discussion with Jerry Richardson:

"...Richardson stressed that he wants to emulate the consistently competitive Steelers on virtually every level. "

If you want to read the entire article. Here's the link.

You know I wouldn't argue with you:biggrin:, but from reading this, I think that it goes deeper than just emulation from a superficial, organizational point of view.

You have to have the talent and similar schemes to pull off what the Steelers have done over the years.

I see your point about consistency and continuity. You have to get the right pieces in place first (not saying with all surety that Fox isn't).

This is what Steve Reed from the Gaston Gazette said at the time about his discussion with Jerry Richardson:

"...Richardson stressed that he wants to emulate the consistently competitive Steelers on virtually every level. "

If you want to read the entire article. Here's the link.

You know I wouldn't argue with you:biggrin:, but from reading this, I think that it goes deeper than just emulation from a superficial, organizational point of view.

You have to have the talent and similar schemes to pull off what the Steelers have done over the years.

I see your point about consistency and continuity. You have to get the right pieces in place first (not saying with all surety that Fox isn't).

I see nothing in the article which contradicts anything I said. And talking about a philosophy or organizational structure is far from superficial. You have things backwards. The scheme you run or personnel on the team change from year to year and are the superficial part since they don't remain constant.

The organizational structure, overriding philosophy, developing a consistency in coaching and manner in which you treat your staff and players is what endures, defines the team and creates the winning culture.

For example no where did in the article does it say we need to run a 3-4 versus what we run in a 4-3 (scheme). Nowhere does it say for example we need to draft a quarterback and develop them like the Steelers did ( Roethlisberger- same type of talent).

What he said and what Richardson said if you would read my comments (rather than look for things to argue with) are the same. We want a physical team with an aggressive style of play. Fox has always said you run the ball and focus on stopping the run. They want a team that is consistent and develops a winning tradition with high character guys who share the management vision of doing things first class.

Thanks for the link since it confirms what I said. But then again I follow all of the writers locally and nationally so it is no surprise.

Hidden

Perhaps the use of "superficial" was the wrong term, but I still believe that Jerry Richardson, and any owner for that matter, would love to have the same level of talent, and run similar schemes as the Steelers. And, it was the reporter who used the term "virtually on every level", not me. But I am not going to split hairs. The column proves us both right, how about that?

Perhaps the use of "superficial" was the wrong term, but I still believe that Jerry Richardson, and any owner for that matter, would love to have the same level of talent, and run similar schemes as the Steelers. And, it was the reporter who used the term " on virtually every level", not me. But I am not going to split hairs. The column proves us both right, how about that?

Archived