• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Observer Mock Draft: 1#. Carolina:QB Cam Newton, Auburn

blackcatgrowl

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/03/mock-draft-v10-we-will-mock-you.html

Joe Person and Darin Gantt cover the Carolina Panthers

March 10, 2011

NFL Mock Draft v1.0: We will mock you

OK, so we're seven weeks out from the draft. Might as well have some fun, while we wait to see whether the guys in suits are interested in football being played this year.

(And frankly, as much as I'd rather be standing on the corner of 21st and K with the assembled sidewalk scribes, I know labor reports are more interesting to reporters than fans.)

So what say we mock? We'll do one each Thursday for the next few weeks, showing some possibilities for the teams at the top. It'll change, as teams will shuffle their boards as they look at guys. Consider it a guidebook rather than a map, a suggestion, if you will.

Or in other words, it'll change, so no hyperventilating:

1. Carolina: QB Cam Newton, Auburn

There's a lot of talk about him at the moment for a reason.

No one's sure if he's going to be good or not. But look around. There are questions about every quarterback in this draft, and he's got more physical gifts than any of them.

Is it a risky pick? It is.

Can it go horribly wrong? It can.

But here's the thing with Newton, you almost have to convince yourself he's not the guy first, because top-end QBs are rare. He has the chance to be one if he works, and the chance alone may make it a gamble worth taking.

Hah! Those bastards are pretty clever. Now the other teams will be fooled into thinking we're somewhat serious about Newton, and beg to trade up. Possibly giving us their entire '11 draft picks + their 1st , 2nd and 3rd from the '12 draft.

*attacking Proudiddy for his football acumen and for being smarter than me and not fitting inside this small ass box I created for him, meanwhile completely ignoring the anti-Cam douches he was arguing with because they are my friends post here*

Archived