• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hillenmeyer: Cutting Through the NFL Spin

countryboi

its just pretty much hillenmeyer bitching about the CBA and trying to set the record straight. decent read

As a former player representative and an active member of the NFLPA, I was able to attend a few of the sessions, and even I have a hard time making sense of all the spin. If knowing what to believe is tricky for me, I know it must be infuriating to the average fan. Toward that end, I am going to explain what I know to be true by pointing to the opposite. For that, let me bring in Chicago Tribune writer David Haugh.

Haugh wrote a column on March 13, in which he laid a large portion of responsibility for the lockout at the feet of NFLPA executive Demaurice Smith. He said Smith should have managed the situation better and not gone after the big play history making arguments that led to the work stoppage.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-detail/Hillenmeyer-Cutting-Through-the-Spin-118173304.html#ixzz1GxwePMue

He is obviously a smart guy but, I disagree with just about everything he says.

Point 1- A 16 game season and after that it would need the NFLPA's approval before the season could be extended. Not sure how that could be considered a "force" by the owners to an 18 game schedule.

Point 2- A pay cut to the rookies is okay as long as that money is redistributed to the vets, love how the union is looking out for future members by cutting their wages before they can even have a say in it, as they ( rookies) aren't members of the NFLPA.

Point 3- The NFLPA wanted to extend the CBA with all those evil offseason workouts. Can't see any reason what so ever to complain about something that is easier on the players bodies than the agreement that was in place that you and your representatives were okay with.

Then he gives one example of a business that opens it's books, if Southwest is his ideal company, I say put in an application, I'm sure he would make a terrific baggage handler. These guys need to realize they are employees and not the end all be all... The NFL never missed a beat without Barry Sanders, Didn't miss a beat without Michael Vick and would not miss a beat without any other of the players! If the games are competitive you could get rid of every single NFL player and replace them with college players and still have a great league. Is big time College Football an inferior product to the NFL? I don't think it is.

Also, Southwest Airlines had a little over 12 billion in revenue, if Southwest Airlines gave 60% of revenue to employees after first deducting 1 billion, the average salary would be over 190k per year. Dear Hunter, get a clue bro!

Also, Southwest Airlines had a little over 12 billion in revenue, if Southwest Airlines gave 60% of revenue to employees after first deducting 1 billion, the average salary would be over 190k per year. Dear Hunter, get a clue bro!

Exactly.

And 15% ownership in a company, split among thousands of employees amounts to JACK and poo. Your dividend payouts will be just barely enough to reinvest in the stock every few months, IF the company is profitable. You have ZERO influence on the company, and even if you are allowed to vote on company agendas, your 15% isn't going to make a difference if the board is voting in unison. And to that fact, your stock isn't represented on the Board of Directors anyhow.

This "perspective" just confirmed what I've been starting to think...

The players think they are not being treated fairly because they don't "own" the clubs. They want a piece of the ownership pie.

Personally, if it comes down to it, and the players become an influencial part of ownership, I'm tossing all my NFL related gear and walking away from this sport. The league has done quite well with the current system. Adding the voice of players like Ben Raplisburger or Cagematch Vick to business decisions for the league would be the first step towards the destuction of it.

Archived