• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"One of them has to go to Carolina at #1" Mayock on QBs

mav1234

Mayock had a fun quote for those of you wanting a QB:

"One of them has to go to Carolina at #1"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81efc19a/Gabbert-vs-Newton

Says that you have to pull the trigger on Gabbert or Newton, depending on who you like. Also says neither will get out of the top 5. When asked if we liked Newton more than Gabbert as reports have indicated, he says that Carolina is trying to generate as much interest as possible in BOTH quarterbacks so they can try to get a trade and says that is exactly what they are doing and that he does not see a clear favorite right now being obvious.

I understand where he is coming from. I am warming to a QB a little. I just feel like we are so young at the spot anyway, this isn't going to help us much when both of these guys are going to need some adjustment period.

I like Mayock more than the others, but he has no more the ear of the Panthers brass than we do. Amusingly enough, Hurney is the one calling this shot and by all reports he still believes Clausen is going to be "that guy," so maybe we pass on a QB for now.

but I really hope he doesn't have so much trust in Clausen we go into the season without some serious competition for him.

Yep, I was just about to post this. Makes sense I guess. I don't listen to a lot of people when it comes to the draft, but Mayock is one of them. If he says that there's no way either of them are making it out of the top 5... I'll buy that.

Mayock:

SMOKESCREEN!!!

only sort of. You talk up both guys, even if you like them both, or hate them both, or whatever. that way, if the arizonas of the world are slobbering all over Gabbert, you may just get them to bite on a trade, load up draft picks, and still pick up some damn good talent at #5.

not to say they aren't interested in Newton or Gabbert or whatever, just that it can serve more than one purpose to talk 'em up.

I like Mayock more than the others, but he has no more the ear of the Panthers brass than we do. Amusingly enough, Hurney is the one calling this shot and by all reports he still believes Clausen is going to be "that guy," so maybe we pass on a QB for now.

but I really hope he doesn't have so much trust in Clausen we go into the season without some serious competition for him.

I'm not sure whether all the support Hurney has shown toward Clausen is sincere or GM speak. I mean it is pretty much a given that Clausen will be on this team next year and I doubt any GM would say about a QB on his roster "Yeah, he sucks. We are done with him"

Archived