• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"One of them has to go to Carolina at #1" Mayock on QBs

mav1234

My question is, why isn't Mayock saying that his #2QB should go in the top 5? I still can't figure out why he has Locker at #2 in the first place.

Because teams don't draft based on BPA always, they take "potential" and "excitement" and "energy" and "upside" into the equation.

Is it really that hard to figure out?

I keep seeing the idea of smokescreen, smokescreen, smokescreen used for the Panthers pick.

There's only two reasons that a team would give out misleading info. 1) so that another team doesn't trade in front of you and take your player. 2) To try and entice a team to trade with you, if they thought you (or another team) were going to take "their" player.

The first reason probably covers 95% of the time that teams play that "game".

Obviously, the Panthers have no reason to pursue this course since they already have the #1 pick.

Teams will, at times, trade up to get a player, but the usefulness of a smokescreen is debatable when you have the first pick. There are no runs on a position yet and unless there is an absolute, beyond a doubt, best player (who you don't want), tree is little reason for another team to trade up.

Not to mention that fact that any team that is likely to trade up for a QB, will have already had a private workout with that QB before the draft, which renders all of these supposed press leaks worthless, since they have seen the guy with their own eyes and have done all the same background checks themselves.

Not to mention that fact that any team that is likely to trade up for a QB, will have already had a private workout with that QB before the draft, which renders all of these supposed press leaks worthless, since they have seen the guy with their own eyes and have done all the same background checks themselves.

:lol: You STILL don't understand the concept?

But Locker is not the BPA either, so why does that matter?

I know he's not BPA, but Mayock feels he is a better football player than Cam Newton, that's why he has him rated higher. But in terms of his mock, he thinks Cam will go higher based on what I assume to be factor's not related to actual skill but around potential for greatness, electricity, etc.

Do you see how that can work?

Apparently, you're the one who doesn't understand that we have the #1 pick, so we don't need a smokescreen.

:lol: riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

I know he's not BPA, but Mayock feels he is a better football player than Cam Newton, that's why he has him rated higher. But in terms of his mock, he thinks Cam will go higher based on what I assume to be factor's not related to actual skill but around potential for greatness, electricity, etc.

Do you see how that can work?

:lol: riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

This wasn't a mock draft, genius. Go back and watch the segment.:rolleyes:

Carolina is trying to generate as much interest as possible in BOTH quarterbacks so they can try to get a trade and says that is exactly what they are doing and that he does not see a clear favorite right now being obvious.

Long term, if they can find a trade partner in the top 10, this is the best move for the franchise. Ponder, Locker, Kaepernick, and maybe Mallett will be there in the second round. Get a first rounder next year and a second this year. You can always double your firsts and get a Landry Jones or Luck in the top three next year. Both are better than Cambert.

In the meantime, you continue to develop young QB talent, you re-sign Moore, and bring in a veteran for a year. In 2012, you will know exactly where you stand at QB. Need one? Package the picks to move into the top 3. Grab a QB. If not, you got a Peterson or Fairley this year and a stud next year in addition to solving your QB problem.

Better than overpaying for mediocrity. Funny, they have played no games since early February when Gabbert and Newton were questionable first rounders. Did they get that much better in 6 weeks?

Who in the hell is going to trade away a 1st and 2nd round pick for Newton or Gabbert? You all keep saying these things, as if the potential trading partner has no choice in the matter and can easily be duped into believing that Cam and/or Blaine is better than he really is, even if the Panthers don't believe it themselves.

If either one of them is worth that trade, then the Panthers should go ahead a pick that guy and be done with it.

Apparently, you're the one who doesn't understand that we have the #1 pick, so we don't need a smokescreen.

Um. What?

That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I'm neutral on the Cam debate, but I swear the Cam obsessors here are some of the most absurd bunch of people I've ever seen.

Guess what?

This team won't be devastated if we "miss out" on Cam Newton.

The possibility of us trying to get someone to trade up with us, like Buffalo for instance, is very very real.

This smokescreen we all "laugh" about, is a very real tactic. If anything, the fact that we hear so much about Cam makes it more likely that that is what we're doing.

Um. What?

That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I'm neutral on the Cam debate, but I swear the Cam obsessors here are some of the most absurd bunch of people I've ever seen.

Guess what?

This team won't be devastated if we "miss out" on Cam Newton.

The possibility of us trying to get someone to trade up with us, like Buffalo for instance, is very very real.

This smokescreen we all "laugh" about, is a very real tactic. If anything, the fact that we hear so much about Cam makes it more likely that that is what we're doing.

Yes, the smokescreen is a real tactic...for teams who have to hope a player is their when they pick, not for the team picking 1st overall. Every team that is even remotely considering Cam Newton is doing their own research on the kid, so you're not going to fool them.

Archived