• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pros and Cons of Starting Rookie QBs

CarolinaVeins

It entirely hinges on the type of team the quarterback goes to.

Most first overall picks belong to teams that need a lot more help than just quarterback. The panthers are one of these teams.

In the past several seasons, you have seen good teams pickup a qb in the draft. Flacco, matt ryan, both went to good teams that already had a bunch of talant on it. The ravens also did their best to surround their rookie with a lot of talent.

A rookie qb playing well enough to help it's team is not the norm though. I think a lot of fans seem to think ya can plug in a rookie, and it is expected that they do well right away.

People also think our offense is good enough to insert a rookie qb. The same could be said last year too. But the oline struggled, the running game struggled. Our receivers all struggled at times. No qb is the league is going to over come those issues.

Our running game has to be effective ot of the gates. Steve smith, if here, needs to step his game up. The younger guys also have to catch what is thrown their way.

Qb's that sit, tend to have more successful careers than those who don't. I also realize that there is a lot of pressure for teams to start their rookies. I still believe the rookie should sit for at least a year. Of course, sometimes the team is forced to do otherwise.

I don't think rivera will start a rookie qb unless the kid just bblows away the competition. While it may be easy to beat out clausen, I don't think it would be easy for a rookie to beat out moore.

It entirely hinges on the type of team the quarterback goes to.

Most first overall picks belong to teams that need a lot more help than just quarterback. The panthers are one of these teams.

In the past several seasons, you have seen good teams pickup a qb in the draft. Flacco, matt ryan, both went to good teams that already had a bunch of talant on it. The ravens also did their best to surround their rookie with a lot of talent.

A rookie qb playing well enough to help it's team is not the norm though. I think a lot of fans seem to think ya can plug in a rookie, and it is expected that they do well right away.

People also think our offense is good enough to insert a rookie qb. The same could be said last year too. But the oline struggled, the running game struggled. Our receivers all struggled at times. No qb is the league is going to over come those issues.

Our running game has to be effective ot of the gates. Steve smith, if here, needs to step his game up. The younger guys also have to catch what is thrown their way.

Qb's that sit, tend to have more successful careers than those who don't. I also realize that there is a lot of pressure for teams to start their rookies. I still believe the rookie should sit for at least a year. Of course, sometimes the team is forced to do otherwise.

I don't think rivera will start a rookie qb unless the kid just bblows away the competition. While it may be easy to beat out clausen, I don't think it would be easy for a rookie to beat out moore.

Lol Matt Ryan didn't go to a good team that already had a lot of talent. He went to a crap team that went and bought a good RB in FA and had a new (and competent) coaching staff. The only "talent" that was already on this team was a WR that was above average, but not elite (Roddy White). The biggest difference maker for the '08 Falcons was a change in coaching staff and a high pick on the QB. The only reason Ryan's '08 supporting cast could be called better than Jimmy's '10 cast is injuries. I'd take our WRs and RBs and Oline (when healthy) over the '08 Falcons' ANY day.

So I HEAVILY disagree that we have "so many holes a QB couldn't possibly succeed in our offense". Our only holes are QB and DT. That ain't bias, that's common sense. Before Shockey's signing you could argue TE was a need too, but not as much any more. I'm not saying he's the final solution to our TE situation, but he'll be enough to tide us over til we get our final solution at TE.

He wasn't then. He could be argued to be an elite WR now, but up til '08 he was just "good". They didn't get Gonzales until 09. And Sam Baker sucks, most everyone with an opinion on him has said he hasn't lived up to expectations. And Baker came after Ryan (a round later)

He wasn't then. He could be argued to be an elite WR now, but up til '08 he was just "good". They didn't get Gonzales until 09. And Sam Baker sucks, most everyone with an opinion on him has said he hasn't lived up to expectations. And Baker came after Ryan (a round later)

I would argue that he was elite then, but that is all just opinion. And you are right about Baker, I thought they signed a FA offensive lineman but I was mistaken.

Yoanne arguing that the falcons didn't have tons of talent surrounding their rookie qb, should refrain from posting in this thread. Seriously.

Thanks for missing the point though. Lol

the Falcons were projected to be one of the 3 worst teams in the NFL prior to the 2008 season starting. You can't find a power ranking that didn't have them in the cellar to start that year. That was when the world new they signed a FA RB The "tons" of talent didn't show. White was a cheeseburger eating unimpressive WR at that point. D, OL, passing game.....nothing looked solid prior to the start of the season. RB was a gamble that Turner would be legit. The Falcons appeared to be a mess heading into 08. Former coach had fizucked them, an unknown Smith coming in, and a rookie QB in place with little or nothing standing out on the rest of the team.

Archived