• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I do not want Newton, Do you?

Ashor

To me Cam reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol. So ask yourself if you were to remove Cam from this years draft and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol, would The Golden Calf of Bristol be the number 1 pick in this years draft. If you answer yes, then you validate one thing: Just how weak this QB class is.

Well I will agree that Clausen did not get a fair shake but you must admit that he looked really bad.

I am not sold on Clausen, but if you take a QB early in any draft, you bring him along and give him time. I was actually hoping we would not draft Clausen when he fell to us.

However, the Panthers forced him to play when he had spent much of OTAs and camp as the #2 and #3 QB. Considering the purging of veterans and Fox's contract status, he did not want a project at QB in the draft--he wanted players to play right away. With the OL injured and WRs as green as he was (except Smith), he had to play in a bland, predictable offense. Maybe he does suck, but if you judge him based on last season and want him out, you would have been the same way in Denver in 1984:

John Elway's rookie year: 47% completion rate, 14 interceptions, 7 TDs in 10 games.

Jimmy Clausen's rookie year: 53% completion rate, 9 interceptions, 3 TDs in 10 games.

Elway's offense was more imaginative and open. His coaching staff was supportive and not a bunch of lame ducks. His OL was not great, but healthy for the most part.

People who say they know Clausen is a bust are showing ignorance. It takes time to develop into a good QB and time to determine if they are busts or not. Sure he looked bad here--So did Bradshaw for five years, Elway, etc. You may think he is a bust, but if you let him go and he goes to SF and gets coached up and becomes a pro bowler, people who criticized him will disappear and go into denial.

We are drafting Dareus or Green.

To me Cam reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol. So ask yourself if you were to remove Cam from this years draft and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol, would The Golden Calf of Bristol be the number 1 pick in this years draft. If you answer yes, then you validate one thing: Just how weak this QB class is.

Cam's throwing motion is miles better than The Golden Calf of Bristol's like I've said before if The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't have to question marks in his throwing motion he would have been a top ten pick imo. If cam was to have a The Golden Calf of Bristol like rookie season though I'd consider that promising for the future more so than what our young QB's have shown but I don't like that comparison at all.

Cam Newton

Strengths: Athleticism, Running ability, size, arm strength, IT factor (leadership ability).

Weaknesses: Experience in a pro set that reads defenses, accuracy, character concerns that you do not want in a leader/face of franchise.

Unknowns (to most fans): Football IQ, ability to read defenses.

This is why Cam is a coin toss. If you just look at the strengths (like many on here), you ask, "What is there to decide?" However, if you look at the negatives (like many on here), he scares the hell out of you.

To draft a player, you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward. Since nobody's job is on the line here, only Marty Hurney can make that call. If it were my call, I would go with Dareus and pray Cam does not become a superstar.

i would pass for the simple reason that it sounds like they are drafting on more need than want. Newton may have potential, but he also has major question marks, for example, he ran the ball in some games over 20 times, that's cant happen in the pros. he will have to make more reads and while his throwing motion is better than The Golden Calf of Bristol's, his footwork and the spread offense he comes from is the same as The Golden Calf of Bristol's and that's also where The Golden Calf of Bristol needed work and he admits that. With that said, i may not want Newton, but i predict that he's a panther on draft day.

I think Cam Newton will be a good starting QB if he works hard enough. Whether he will or not is up to Hurney to figure out. I wouldn't be that upset if we passed but we do need a blue-chip QB more than anything.

Cam Newton

Strengths: Athleticism, Running ability, size, arm strength, IT factor (leadership ability).

Weaknesses: Experience in a pro set that reads defenses, accuracy, character concerns that you do not want in a leader/face of franchise.

Unknowns (to most fans): Football IQ, ability to read defenses.

This is why Cam is a coin toss. If you just look at the strengths (like many on here), you ask, "What is there to decide?" However, if you look at the negatives (like many on here), he scares the hell out of you.

To draft a player, you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward. Since nobody's job is on the line here, only Marty Hurney can make that call. If it were my call, I would go with Dareus and pray Cam does not become a superstar.

fox has ruined this fanbase...we have completely settled on being a good franchise instead of trying to be a great franchise...at some point you have to take some chances...you can't play it safe all the time!

i would pass for the simple reason that it sounds like they are drafting on more need than want. Newton may have potential, but he also has major question marks, for example, he ran the ball in some games over 20 times, that's cant happen in the pros. he will have to make more reads and while his throwing motion is better than The Golden Calf of Bristol's, his footwork and the spread offense he comes from is the same as The Golden Calf of Bristol's and that's also where The Golden Calf of Bristol needed work and he admits that. With that said, i may not want Newton, but i predict that he's a panther on draft day.

How is running the ball over 20 times in a game a question mark? Those runs were oviously by design,blame the coach not the player. On pass plays he only ran 11% of the time.

I understand the whole risk factor thing especially at number 1 but one thing I can't understand is why so many people are worried about us being "set back" when we are already back. We won 2 games, sub par offense and are without question the worst team in our division. We are young, with talent but rebuilding start with the most important position in football.

He is a winner/leader, wants to be great (sports icon) not average ala Fox era, and Media & big game pressure doesn't affect his play he seems to thrive off of it. Could see him being the face of the franchise lifting a small market team ala Lebron did in Cleveland. Is a REAL dual threat QB can beat you with his arm and legs. He has talent that is not as raw as many claim not the finished product but his question marks can be fixed if he is willing to put in the work. A very high ceiling higher than anyone else in this draft imo. All of those quality's with our need at QB is why I want Newton.

I understand the whole risk factor thing especially at number 1 but one thing I can't understand is why so many people are worried about us being "set back" when we are already back.

A lot of our fans accept losing. 2 wins for the season, and you cant get a pulse from people. Talk about drafting Cam Newton and everyone stands up. We have to change the culture here.

Archived