• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got a job offer, need advice\thoughts

TarPanther9180

Okay, so as some of you know, I work in IT. My current company sucks, my coworkers are morons that I have to babysit every step of their job, and there is not much of a future for me here. I am in a rut.

A few things happened a couple of weeks ago that has pushed me over my edge and I updated my resume, submitted it to some places, and I had an interview this morning. It went well, because they gave me a job offer on the spot. It is for an IT services company in which I would design, implement, and roll out new projects to their customers (then support team would handle break/fixes while I move to something new), which is what I want to do.

However, it is for 12% less than what I am making now and the new company knows this and expects me to come back with counter offer.

I don't think I will get what I am making now (which is a decent amount), but I am completely unhappy, haven't received a raise since I started working here (2008), and my boss, the CFO, said he can't promote me into manager role until I get a four year degree (I have one year technical diploma from ECPI), even though I am doing manager stuff. New place gives yearly raises and have defined career paths that I can move up in.

So, what say you huddle? Has anyone taken a pay cut in order to move to a job they would be happy in? I know grass isn't always greener on the other side, but in the case I think it would be. What do you think?

New place gives yearly raises and have defined career paths that I can move up in.

That should say yes right there. If they have good benefits, get them as high as you can for pay, but I say take it.

Im in the same situation as far as morons for co workers and no room for upward movement/promotions...if I was presented with this situation I would take it. At least you know that you won't be taking that pay cut forever

Counter their offer like you said. You may not be able to get it in annual, but they may be willing to supplement with additional vacation time or a hiring bonus.

That's what I'm thinking. I also gotta find out about how many of the perks I would be losing. I would hate to lose my "company" Thunderbolt I just got to a stupid Blackberry.

Can you afford the cut in pay with your current bills, while not changing your lifestyle too much?

If you can, Jump.

Counter back to get within 6-8% cut and hit the door running. Work harder than you ever have and you will make up the lost pay within 2 years I bet.

That should say yes right there. If they have good benefits, get them as high as you can for pay, but I say take it.

Im in the same situation as far as morons for co workers and no room for upward movement/promotions...if I was presented with this situation I would take it. At least you know that you won't be taking that pay cut forever

Looks like benefits are about the same, maybe a little better. Plus, it is closer to where I live.

others already said money isn't everything, but you gotta think about what your budget calls for as necessity. weigh that out, and if you can survive for the year it takes to get the raise then do it. if you can't, mention that when you counter. like, "look sir, I want this job, but I can't eat ramen and canned tuna all year waiting on that raise."

Can you afford the cut in pay with your current bills, while not changing your lifestyle too much?

If you can, Jump.

Counter back to get within 6-8% cut and hit the door running. Work harder than you ever have and you will make up the lost pay within 2 years I bet.

I probably can swing the entire 12% cut, but it would be tough. I think if I can get in that 6-8%, it would make it a lot easier on me.

I would tell them if they will match what you are making now you will be ready to start tomorrow. Or they may you inflated what you are making now and that is why they offered 12% less. Offer to show them proof of what you are making. They should understand that it makes no sense to take a job making less money.

damn YES! no question!

counter with a higher number of course but brother, listen to me for one second...and I wish I would listen to this myself!

There's more to life than money!!!

Like Hookers and Blow? But that takes money too.

Damn vicious circle :D

TP, I say do what KK suggests.

I have always told folks I trained to concentrate on doing your best, the money always follows.

Negotiate high but be looking forward to your professional development. Maybe negotiate a goals/rewards program. If you hit certain marks at predetermined times, you get rewarded for it.

Archived