• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First time I ever used a coupon at a restaurant

SCP

So I took my wife to dinner tonight up at Mortons off of W. Trade in the beautiful uptown of Charlotte. I went on their website today to confirm resrevation times and I saw this Mortons Three Course Dinner Special. For $109 you get two salads, two fillet's, choice of a seafood (I had the crab cake and wife had the shrimp alexander), two veggies, and desert. I never use coupons or take advantage of these specials because, to be honest, I find it a little embarrassing. Flame me if you want, but I'm not a coupon guy. Well, I popped my cherry tonight and used the coupon and to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Nobody laughed but I was extra careful on how I presented the coupon.

So do you guys break out the coupons at dinner very often?

By the way, I had the Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" IPA and it is delish at 7.2% alchohol. Also, I believe Charles Godfrey was at the table next to me but I don't jock sniff DBs so I can't confirm.

did you still get some of the....."damn that was a nice restaurant, I think I'll blow you all the way home" action?

If you use coupons from restaurant.com, a 25% gratuity (of the nondiscounted total) is automatically added.

I'm not about screwing over a server. But I am about getting a $80 tab down to as little as possible.

But my wife is me to the 425345234th power. She'll go shopping and get 8 pairs of shoes, 4 purses, 5 formal dresses, some jackets, make-up and groceries for a month and only spend about $12. She is the epitome of bargain shopping.

Make sure of the percentage already added. I think what I've had on my restaurant.com coupons has been 18%, but it's been a while since I used one. They stopped offering ones to the restaurants I frequent.

I'll fling down the coupon, but always tip well on what the total would have been pre coupon. Especially if the coupon is cheerfully accepted.

If they didn't want people using them they wouldn't have them. As long as you know how to properly tip using a coupon it's all good.

The wait staff doesn't give a damn if you use a coupon as long as you don't tip them like you used one.

THIS.

coupons are awesome but don't come in there expecting to tip on the discounted rate. Past 2 places I waited tables both took Citipasses, which are awesome, most of the time you are getting entrees 2 for 1, just make sure you are tipping on BOTH.

while I agree that there should be some correlation between cost and the amount you tip, there should be no preset % obligation. I am typically a big tipper, wife was in the biz for years etc and I do appreciate the effort it takes, but at the same time, you still need to deserve it.

i worked a while in service, and i do this.

the server starts at 15%. whatever he/she does during the course of serving me affects the number. my range of tipping is between 10 and 25%. if they fug up and i start to keep track of mistakes they aren't getting much. if they are on point, and i never have to ask for anything then i don't mind tipping fat.

I bartended for 10 years. I start at 20%. If good, it goes to 25% or higher. If bad it will drop to 15%. If really bad, it will go to 10%, and I'll tell them my tipping practice.

ya...I typically start at 20% as well...and I will admit, if they are hot and flirty, I fall for that everytime.

I do also typically make it a practice to tell them why I am tipping less if and when it happens.

Archived