• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the smartest person you know in real life?

Darth Biscuit

Disagree completely.

I don't care to know about how to build a spaceship, but some people look at the engineers that do that very thing and think that they are really really smart.

I think that they are fools that will work their entire careers for a company or the government retire at 30 years in and walk around Europe with fanny packs, and cash a pension check until they die.

Me, and many of the people on this Earth that I think are smart, have much higher ambitions than being able to name every zip code in Montana, or trying to prove Newtons Third law of motion wrong.

But to each his own.

That's ambition not intelligence. My husband is an engineer. He is great at conceiving a design and making it work. That is nothing like remembering all the zip codes in Montana. Actually he is quite terrible at remembering useless facts. However he has no desire for the responsibility and risk involved with owning his own business or being super ambitious. That's not a lack of intelligence that's just personal choice that likely goes in line with personality.

Disagree completely.

I don't care to know about how to build a spaceship, but some people look at the engineers that do that very thing and think that they are really really smart.

I think that they are fools that will work their entire careers for a company or the government retire at 30 years in and walk around Europe with fanny packs, and cash a pension check until they die.

Me, and many of the people on this Earth that I think are smart, have much higher ambitions than being able to name every zip code in Montana, or trying to prove Newtons Third law of motion wrong.

But to each his own.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying career path determines if someone is smart or not? Some people are fine working their entire life. I used to work for a company where CEO was extremely rich and didn't have to work another day in his life. He started the company to have something to do, to have a challenge. Not everyone's goal in life is to retire at 30, those engineers building spaceships are getting more from their job than a paycheck.

Again, naming every zip code in Montana doesn't determine intelligence at all.

reminds me of myself when i was in school. i was always the smartest kid in the class, but my teachers hated me because of behavior problems. they hated the fact that i wouldnt pay attention or sleep in class, then ace the test every friday. i already knew everything they were teaching me, even in college (to this point at least)

i also meet the IQ requirements to join Mensa, but i have never tried because i know i cant meet the career requirements.

This is him. He's driving his history teacher batty sleeping in class. He'll wake my son up to ask him a question and Ty will get it right.

For two years in middle school, they failed him in algebra, even though his answers were correct and he got the highest scores on the eog's. He just couldn't show it on paper; he does it in his head. Because he couldn't show how he got the answers, they wouldn't count them.

It pisses me off that he's just coasting through. It's like he doesn't want anyone to know he's smart.

i guess we would have to quantify.

got an uncle who has a degree in Physics. Insane mind. So so on the social level.

Good buddy i reconnected with on Facebook. He is currently in Mensa, former high school teacher who has AIDS and is no longer able to work. Dude is brilliant.

If we have a think tank throw me in there. From trivia to being able to create art or write or act I can do.

Being able to not only solve extremely difficult problems at work, I have an uncanny knack for helping people solve stuff going on with themselves. There is no person I can't connect with.

But the truly smartest person I know is my youngest kid. wow, she is gonna be a genius.

Friend of mine left Concord HS to attend and finish top of his class at the NC School of Science and Math in Durham. Went to NCSU and got his Nuclear Eng degree in 3.5 years (5 yr program) and his Masters in 1.5 yrs. Now has his PhD from USC in a different engineering field.

A little socially akward, but not bad.

Archived