• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina a potential landing spot for Mebane?

KillerKat

2008-Mebane had a better season.

2009-Mebane had a better season

2010-Mebane injured misses four games, Cofeild had better season.

Mebane was on the same direction Coefeild was till he missed four games in 2010. One season with an injury does not equate to going in the wrong direction.

On injuries-

2007-Didn't start for half the season because of rookie. Not because of injury.

2008-Played all games.

2009-Missed one game.

2010-Missed four. Came back and played the rest of the season.

Hardly a big basis for injury prone.

Not sure how 2009 he was a nonfactor. Had 49 tackles and 1.5 sacks, unless your basing the fact that a DT was a nonfactor based soley on the number of sacks he had. Which is ill advised.

you obviously want to go on and on trying to prove a point which is your own opinion and hardly based on facts. I think Mebane had a few good years but has done little in the past 2 years. As a result Seattle isn't very high on him, is likely to move on without him and unless he is bargain won't be resigning him. He has done little to nothing in the past 2 years. He played for a Seattle team who football outsides ranks 26th in adjusted line yards versus the Panthers who ranked 10th in adjusted run defense. We also ranked 10 up the middle while Seattle ranked 26th.

That is why Seattle is moving on.

So the question is whether you still really want Mebane and want to toot his horn or you are in a pissing contest argument and just want to win to prove how smart you are.

Let me help. Mebane is fantastic and you are so right. He is a great pickup and would instantly elevate our line.

Unfortunately we won't be picking him up especially if he wants big money. You also don't pick up 2 third rounders in the draft and still bring in a bunch of free agents.

So in the likely case we won't be picking him up anyway, how important is this argument really????

you obviously want to go on and on trying to prove a point which is your own opinion and hardly based on facts. I think Mebane had a few good years but has done little in the past 2 years. As a result Seattle isn't very high on him, is likely to move on without him and unless he is bargain won't be resigning him. He has done little to nothing in the past 2 years. He played for a Seattle team who football outsides ranks 26th in adjusted line yards versus the Panthers who ranked 10th in adjusted run defense. We also ranked 10 up the middle while Seattle ranked 26th.

That is why Seattle is moving on.

So the question is whether you still really want Mebane and want to toot his horn or you are in a pissing contest argument and just want to win to prove how smart you are.

Let me help. Mebane is fantastic and you are so right. He is a great pickup and would instantly elevate our line.

Unfortunately we won't be picking him up especially if he wants big money. You also don't pick up 2 third rounders in the draft and still bring in a bunch of free agents.

So in the likely case we won't be picking him up anyway, how important is this argument really????

No need for the attitude and remarks. Im simply arguing my point, if I feel that Im right I will argue it. It's not important at all but nothing on these boards are.

I would personally be pretty happy if we signed Mebane. He can play both NT and 3 tecnique. Is a good rusher and even better vs the run.

This isnt just based on my opinion. Watching him play, looking at the opinions of Seattle fans, and other reputable sites such as... "]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/02/26/ranking-the-free-agents-defensive-tackles-and-3-4-ends/"]

You base most if not all your opinion on tackle and sacks stats, which espcially for a DT, is not a good way at all to judge them. To say a DT has done nothing in 2009 based on nothing but sacks (ignoring that he had a career high in tackles) is narrow minded.

Espcially considring he was asked more to clog the run then pass in 09:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8eb4b/article/agent-seahawks-place-thirdround-tender-on-dt-mebane

No need for the attitude and remarks. Im simply arguing my point, if I feel that Im right I will argue it. It's not important at all but nothing on these boards are.

I would personally be pretty happy if we signed Mebane. He can play both NT and 3 tecnique. Is a good rusher and even better vs the run.

This isnt just based on my opinion. Watching him play, looking at the opinions of Seattle fans, and other reputable sites such as... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/02/26/ranking-the-free-agents-defensive-tackles-and-3-4-ends/"]

You base most if not all your opinion on tackle and sacks stats, which espcially for a DT, is not a good way at all to judge them. To say a DT has done nothing in 2009 based on nothing but sacks (ignoring that he had a career high in tackles) is narrow minded.

Espcially considring he was asked more to clog the run then pass in 09:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8eb4b/article/agent-seahawks-place-thirdround-tender-on-dt-mebane

First of all profootballfocus has his 2010 grade rated 7th on that list indicated his below average year. Then somehow they rank him second, on some flimsy premise that he finished in the top 20 of DTs the past 3 years. Big deal!! Top 20......... Then they admit he has never had a similar year to 2008 and then follow up he can get to the quarterback despite the obvious which is he has done that 2 1/2 times in the past 2 year. They even rank him above Cofield who had as good a year in 2010 than Mebane has had if you combine his last 2. Sorry but that analysis was pretty poor. Disappointing for a site that usually does a better job.

Interestingly they used his stats to make their case. How is it that stats are not important yet universally, sites rate players based on them. Perhaps they know what I do and you apparently don't. The numbers do matter. Or when you mention the stats you like (tackles) and ignore sacks, you are just using selective numbers when you think it furthers your case.

Then you refer to a seattle story where they place a third round tender on him. lets be real here, a third round tender is nothing in this league and surely doesn't suggest they want him. If I were Mebane I would be insulted. Last year when we were lukewarm about Marshall we gave him a second rounder. This year I haven't heard the round but we expect not to keep Marshall. Your logic makes my case not yours.

If this were 2008 perhaps I would agree with you but it isn't. Mebane wants a big payday but honestly he has done little in the past 2 years to justify it. He simply benefits from a very weak class of free agent tackles. Hardly a reason to throw a lot of money at him.

First of all profootballfocus has his 2010 grade rated 7th on that list indicated his below average year. Then somehow they rank him second, on some flimsy premise that he finished in the top 20 of DTs the past 3 years. Big deal!! Top 20......... Then they admit he has never had a similar year to 2008 and then follow up he can get to the quarterback despite the obvious which is he has done that 2 1/2 times in the past 2 year. They even rank him above Cofield who had as good a year in 2010 than Mebane has had if you combine his last 2. Sorry but that analysis was pretty poor. Disappointing for a site that usually does a better job.

Interestingly they used his stats to make their case. How is it that stats are not important yet universally, sites rate players based on them. Perhaps they know what I do and you apparently don't. The numbers do matter. Or when you mention the stats you like (tackles) and ignore sacks, you are just using selective numbers when you think it furthers your case.

Then you refer to a seattle story where they place a third round tender on him. lets be real here, a third round tender is nothing in this league and surely doesn't suggest they want him. If I were Mebane I would be insulted. Last year when we were lukewarm about Marshall we gave him a second rounder. This year I haven't heard the round but we expect not to keep Marshall. Your logic makes my case not yours.

If this were 2008 perhaps I would agree with you but it isn't. Mebane wants a big payday but honestly he has done little in the past 2 years to justify it. He simply benefits from a very weak class of free agent tackles. Hardly a reason to throw a lot of money at him.

They weren't grading on who had the best year or who was the best DT in 2010 , but who are the best DT overall in FA. They base it on more then just one year.

They said he hasn't repeated his excellent year, yes. But that doesn't mean he hasn't played well since, in fact they say they state the opposite.

Your once agian putting to much stock in sacks as the be all in judging pass rush. As they put it:

There are two major things wrong with sacks. First, they only reflect the success of a handful of plays for a pass rusher, and second, they are raw numbers. If you’ve read enough articles at Pro Football Focus, you know we typically give a combined pressure total rather than a sack total when talking about pass rushers. When a defender gets pressure on or hits the quarterback, it clearly affects most passers’ performance. While some quarterbacks are better under pressure than others, I think most would say they’d prefer their offensive line to keep the defense far away.

Of course sacks are better than hits or pressures in that they typically represent a final result and a more successful play for the defense, but pressures happen more frequently and can do a better job of showing the big picture of a pass rusher’s talent. Our numbers show that defensive ends Antonio Smith of Houston, Kroy Biermann of Atlanta, and Brandon Graham of Philadelphia are all very good pass rushers, but you wouldn’t know it just by looking at the three sacks they each had in the 2010 season.

Sacks (as well as hits and pressures) do a good job of showing the number of times a pass rusher made a good play, but like many statistics it’s important to add the context of how often a pass rusher tried to make a play.

So you see the fact that someone has low sacks doesn't mean the were a bad rusher. They watch every player of every play of every game. So I think it's safe to assume that they've watched enougth tape to be able to objectivley and confidentley say wether some one is a good rusher or not.

They don't rank players based on stats (sacks, tackles etc), but how they grade during a game. They grade on play of the player. The difference is the grade stat is filled with context and objectivitey, which raw statics don't provide.

My problem is not that your using stats, but using just one stat, one that as stated above doesn't show the whole picture.

I specifically mentioned tackles because you were fine with using those stats and you argued he did nothing in 09 (not suck at pass rush in 2009 but just nothing) when the career high tackles suggest otherwise, I didn't ignore them, I already stated in my previous post that he did in fact have 1.5 sacks. I simply stated sacks aren't a good way to judge.

The same can be said with tackles, but I didnt metion that specifically, because sacks were the primary basis of your argument on wether Mebane was productive or not.

Archived