• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damn it's hot..

g5jamz

Well, I have AC and its working.

But, just last week Duke Energy's monopolizing ass decided to send me a $465 bill.....with no notice or explanation.

I call and tell them I think my bill might be messed up (I live in a 1bdrm apt) and the lady proceeds to tell me that my meter has been working incorrectly FOR A YEAR and now I have to pay back all the energy it wasn't reporting (keep in mind that would be EST. energy). I literally loled when she told me b/c I thought she was kidding.

I ask her if she can provide some sort of explanation for why its taken a fuging year for this to happen and her answer is, I'm not even kidding you, word for word "Well, sometimes things like this just happen", then her bitch ass has the balls to tell me ITS MY FAULT that I didn't notice I wasn't paying enough each month.

Bitch can't do anything for me, so I hang up with her and send irate email. Email is responded to and tells me to call another dept. I talk to another girl, she proceeds to tell me the same poo and yes, it is my fault. You gotta be fn kidding me. At this point I'm not happy at all.

Let's recap:

My meter has been broken/moving slowly for a YEAR. No one has noticed, even though they read it monthly.

I have to pay some random ESTIMATED amount for what I would have used in the past year. When I break it down, its about 60/month, which is almost 3 times what I pay normally for energy. SO they are trying to bend me over and fug me for everything I have.

Somehow this is all my fault. I can't believe that bitch had the nerve to tell me it was my fault and I should have noticed. The customer is never wrong.

I don't own my apt, so if anything, this blame either goes on the apt complex or duke energy themselves.

The kicker is, I don't have $$ to pay this right now. SO, I ask what my options are. She tells me I can be set up on a payment plan, but ONLY after my bill is past due. SO, I have to ruin my payment history just so I can pay them back for something that is their fault.

All in all, Ill be taking it to the utilities commission and Duke Energy can

a. kiss my white ass.

and then b. go fug themselves.

:rant:

I hate the energy companies. Since you have no recourse and there is no competition they can basically do whatever they want.

I had a situation where I deposited a big check into my account and then went home and paid bills including the energy bill. Turns out there was an issue with the check and the bank had to hold it for 10 days before depositing it into my account. At the exact same time a online merchant double charged me on a pretty large online purchase leaving me with little money in my checking account for a short window of time while the merchant processed my claim. I tried to call in advance to the energy company but it was too late they had processed my check. Of course it comes back NSF.

This had never happened before and I was a customer for 3 years up to that point and never missed a payment, been late on a payment, or EVER had anything come up NSF before.

I tried to pay the balance over the phone and they wouldn't let me. They told me I had to come in and pay in person. This was a little annoying but whatever I can handle that.

THEN they tell me that not only do I have to make this payment in person but I can no longer pay my bills with personal checks ever again!!! For the rest of my time with the company I had to either pay in person with cash or use money orders or certified checks for all future bills.

At this point I lost it on them. I explained my circumstance that it was an oversight and I had no way of knowing that my check would be withheld and that an unforeseen double charge from a merchant would happen. I also explained that I had never had an issue before and never been even late on a payment in the three years I had been using their services. Not only that, I had actually called in advance to try and salvage the situation (I couldn't stop payment on the check because it had already been processed).

She responded by basically saying in a very snotty tone, "Well you need to make sure you have enough money to pay your bills. There is nothing I can do for you." I was so pissed I hung up on her.

After about 30 minutes of cooling down and plotting I called back. I got another lady on the phone and the conversation was not going anywhere. It was basically the same crap and she seemed to be giddy about the fact that there was nothing I can do bc there is no competition. Either take it in the ass or have my power shut off.

Finally I played the only card I knew to play at the time. I simply said, "Look I work at the NC General Assembly and work sometimes from 7:00AM until 3:00AM, there is no way I have the time to either come by personally or get a money order or have every check certified before I mail it. I just don't have that kind of time."

Now the whole point of me saying that had nothing to do with how much time I had in the day. It was to try and let them know I worked at the General Assembly, you know the people who basically allow them a monopoly and have influence over what energy companies have rights to what areas.

Suddenly, her attitude changes and she says "Hang on for a second." After being on hold for a couple of minutes she comes back and not only resets my account to allow me to use checks in the future again but also take my current payment over the phone. :)

I was nothing more than a peon (security staff) over at the GA when I worked there but they didn't know that. And I am convinced that if I didn't play that card I woulda been SOL.

So I feel your pain Boo. :)

:rant:

Archived