• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary cap expands to 127 mil

L.A. Fanatic

The salary cap will grow in 2009.

Because teams didn’t spend as much as they were supposed to under the collective bargaining agreement the past three years, teams were notified Wednesday that the salary cap will increase over $4 million to $127 million for this coming year, according to sources with two NFL teams.

It defies the recession and logic, but just before free agency, teams actually will have more flexibility and salary-cap room. This is tremendous news for teams such as the Colts and Panthers, who are pressed against the cap, and not such good news for teams such as the Buccaneers and Chiefs, who were way under the cap. Now their advantage is somewhat compromised.

Teams believed they would see a mild increase in the salary cap, but this is bigger than teams expected.

very good news for us

That is good news.

This certainly won't hurt the chances of them actually keeping Peppers.(which may be a bad thing)

If we did get rid of Peppers this year, I wonder what we spend the extra money on, because I sure don't see them using up all the 17 million on the FA that are available.

The more I think about it, the more I think they will keep him. The only real need on the team this year is DL, and I don't see them trading our best DE.

Looks like we can just draft for depth this year, and pick up just a couple FA for the same reason.

Archived