• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Annual Midnight Vigil

Mr. Scot

Acknowledged (sort of) by Gantt :cool:

So if you're waiting for the Panthers to make a midnight splash this year, you might be better off turning in early.

Because from the looks of things, that's what they're planning.

Link: Panthers have few needs as free agency opens

Ironically, he references the signing of Justin Hartwig, a signing which occurred post-midnight on the first day of free agency. Ma'ake Kemoeatu was also signed that night as I recall.

That particular year, there was an article (in the Observer, I believe) the day before talking about how the Panthers wouldn't be big players in free agency and likely wouldn't sign anyone early on :skep:

Will history repeat itself? Tune in tomorrow...

Because of my schedule, I'm generally up late anyway, but I won't be surprised if others are as well, especially if there's no earlier word on the rumored trade of Ken Lucas. People may want to be around to see if that happens, and unlikely as it may seem, some might even speculate on the possibility of action on Julius Peppers.

For me, even if there's no action from Charlotte, I always enjoy seeing what the first signings turn out to be. And of course, there's the whole Albert Haynesworth drama :rolleyes:

Bottom Line: We're less than 24 hours away from the opening of free agency, that time when we start to get a peek at what next year's rosters will look like.

(and a time that serves as a reminder of just how neurotic some of us are) :lol:

Mr. Scot, I really don't expect us to be players. If we can get back a first rounder for peppers then so be it. If not this 12-4 team returns a year older together (which is a great thing) and wiser and ready to hit it running.

We just aren't a team with a lot of great, glaring needs. What needs we may have can be addressed with mid tier FA's and the draft.

Fans still upset about the early playoff exit need to remember, we could be Detroit, KC, Oakland, etal.

Last year this team was a Super Bowl contender, and as it stands right now, all 22 starters would be returning. Adding some depth in the usual means puts us right back in the hunt, talent wise.

As bad as that home playoff loss stung us fans, it stung the players harder. That alone makes us a better team for next season, imo.

Last year this team was a Super Bowl contender, and as it stands right now, all 22 starters would be returning. Adding some depth in the usual means puts us right back in the hunt, talent wise.

sweet our thirty second ranked defense from the second half of the season is coming back

As bad as that home playoff loss stung us fans, it stung the players harder. That alone makes us a better team for next season, imo.

just like in 04 and 06

sweet our thirty second ranked defense from the second half of the season is coming back

just like in 04 and 06

The failures in 04 and 06 were directly related to the enourmous number of injuries we suffered during those seasons.

If we stay healthy (and that is a big if), we will be right back in the thick of the Division and the playoffs.

We probably won't make a big splash, but we do have glaring needs. Our D-line nees to be addressed or else our secondary with ge shredded again this season. IMO, besides Peppers, the other 3 on the line are merely backups. We need some quality there. I don't see how anyone can be happy with our current line. I am fine with Charles Johnson taking one spot, or maybe even rotating with Brayton. But or DT's are horrific and very inconsistent. We need to sign someone that can change the outcome of a game in one play. We don't have anyone like that anymore.

We probably won't make a big splash, but we do have glaring needs. Our D-line nees to be addressed or else our secondary with ge shredded again this season. IMO, besides Peppers, the other 3 on the line are merely backups. We need some quality there. I don't see how anyone can be happy with our current line. I am fine with Charles Johnson taking one spot, or maybe even rotating with Brayton. But or DT's are horrific and very inconsistent. We need to sign someone that can change the outcome of a game in one play. We don't have anyone like that anymore.

the fact that you think Kemo is merely a back-up quality DT makes everything else in your post meaningless.

Kemo does his job VERY well. He is a run stuffer, not a pass rusher.

Lewis gets nice pressure on the QB, but does struggle in run defense. Although he is as good as alot of starting DT's in the league, he would be maximized if he were able to rotate in as a situational player.

Brayton is solid, but not spectacular.

Johnson should have a very good season...I really like this kid.

You do realize that with a salary cap, teams cannot have Top 5 players at every position. We often forget this fact. If you have stars on your team that you pay big bucks to, you have to settle at other positions with good (but not great) players.

This is not madden.

the fact that you think Kemo is merely a back-up quality DT makes everything else in your post meaningless.

Kemo does his job VERY well. He is a run stuffer, not a pass rusher.

Lewis gets nice pressure on the QB, but does struggle in run defense. Although he is as good as alot of starting DT's in the league, he would be maximized if he were able to rotate in as a situational player.

Brayton is solid, but not spectacular.

Johnson should have a very good season...I really like this kid.

You do realize that with a salary cap, teams cannot have Top 5 players at every position. We often forget this fact. If you have stars on your team that you pay big bucks to, you have to settle at other positions with good (but not great) players.

This is not madden.

Kemo is such a great run stopper??? That must be why we finished 20th in the league in rush defense. You would think a premiere run stopper like Kemo, along with Peppers having a pro bowl season, would result in a top 5 rush defense, right? Bottom line...Kemo is a big body that cannot play up to his potential.

Kemo is such a great run stopper??? That must be why we finished 20th in the league in rush defense. You would think a premiere run stopper like Kemo, along with Peppers having a pro bowl season, would result in a top 5 rush defense, right? Bottom line...Kemo is a big body that cannot play up to his potential.

I guess you missed it when we got to see how bad it was without Kemo in the lineup.

And I don't recall stating that we need a top 5 player, just someone more consistent with better all around talent. I agree with you on Johnson, read my post. but Lewis and Kemo need to be upgraded, bottom line. I think the stat show that. You definitely cannot blame our lack of run defense on the linebacking corps, since we all agree that is a strong point of this team.

Archived