• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

so what would be the penalty if coaches did talk to players because...umm....

rayzor

so what are they going to do? fine them? fine who?

The NFL stated earlier in the lockout that contact with a player by any team representative is a fireable offense for the offending party (sorry, don't have a link off the top of my head). So if Morris is talking with some of his players regularly without NFL approval, it's possible the NFL could fire him for that contact. However, I am sure that would be the most drastic action the NFL would take...and likely would only happen if they can prove the contact included things such as talking X's and O's or any kind of actual coaching. Most likely it would only be a fine or loss of draft picks for general unapproved contact.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams were in contact with their own players and free agents. The question is how would they prove it. Obviously if a team signs a free agent a little too quickly after the lockout ends would be a big tip off. I honestly don't see anyone getting caught but I'm sure people are doing it.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Riv had some "indirect" contact with the guys.

• 3 weeks later...

from an article published today talking about how discouraged he was that only 2 other Dline showed up for their workouts....

“The biggest concern, honestly? I’m concerned about us up front,” McCoy said. “My coaches and my teammates and even Free (quarterback Josh Freeman) called me and a few of the other guys called me and told me to make sure I got the defense out there. Davin [Joseph] texted me and told me to get the D-line out here. Apparently these guys feel that I am the leader of the D-line room so I take it upon myself that if the D-line isn’t running right it’s something I need to get together. My focus is on us up front. If we can get going – if the D-line can get rolling like we’re supposed to it will change the whole team and not just the defense.”

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=7033

hmmm.....

The NFL stated earlier in the lockout that contact with a player by any team representative is a fireable offense for the offending party (sorry, don't have a link off the top of my head). So if Morris is talking with some of his players regularly without NFL approval, it's possible the NFL could fire him for that contact. However, I am sure that would be the most drastic action the NFL would take...and likely would only happen if they can prove the contact included things such as talking X's and O's or any kind of actual coaching. Most likely it would only be a fine or loss of draft picks for general unapproved contact.

The league isn't Morris's employer. The Glazers could possibly make the decision to fire him, but that's not likely. The league can't do anything about Morris's employment, they could only fine him, suspend him, or take away draft picks from the team.

I read somewhere (long time ago, can't find the link) that contact is permissible, just nothing football related. I remember that being an interesting point, because it'd be almost impossible to prove that contact WAS football related unless they were witnessed practicing plays or something or if a party admitted to it. Unless Morris said "yea I called up Blount, etc and we discussed football" there's no proof of misconduct. The impression I got was that the "no football contact" policy right now isn't exactly supported.

Right, you're allowed to talk casually to players, just not about football. The media is just blowing it out of proportion.
except he apparently is talking to them about football....look at the quote a couple posts above you.

McCoy doesn't say WHAT coach was talking to him. Could have been his personal life coach. /shrug
“My coaches and my teammates and even Free (quarterback Josh Freeman) called me and a few of the other guys called me and told me to make sure I got the defense out there.
meh...rule is pretty stupid anyway. don't really care. i just saw that in an article i read yesterday and it struck me as funny considering this thread.

Archived