• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have the least cap space?

mr beauxjangles

Why not? I think you have until a certain date to be under the cap.

So in truth we could sign a lot for a lot, as long as we're under the cap by the date specified.

that is incorrect....the league would not approve the contract if you are over the cap when you offer and sign it.

Can you elaborate? You may be right, but without some details I'm not inclined to believe jasonluckydog over Adam Schefter.

At first I agreed with you that there is no way we are 8 million under. But I think it may be even more than that.

First reports had us entering the offseason at 10 million under the cap. The cap has since been increased by 4 million giving the team 14 million under.

They have signed 4 players to contracts; Peppers, Gross, King and Anderson. Those contracts total 19.338 million.

They have made several moves including cuts, restructures and extensions. Those moves I have totaling 15.540 million in cap savings. Here's a quick run down of those moves: Goings .75, Bridges 1.25, Hackett 1.04, Lewis 2.00, Johnson 1.00, Kemo 1.50 and Gamble 8.00.

So 14.000 - 19.338 + 15.540 = 10.202 million in cap space. My guess is that Schefter hasn't included that 8 million move with Gambles contract.

At first I agreed with you that there is no way we are 8 million under. But I think it may be even more than that.

First reports had us entering the offseason at 10 million under the cap. The cap has since been increased by 4 million giving the team 14 million under.

They have signed 4 players to contracts; Peppers, Gross, King and Anderson. Those contracts total 19.338 million.

They have made several moves including cuts, restructures and extensions. Those moves I have totaling 15.540 million in cap savings. Here's a quick run down of those moves: Goings .75, Bridges 1.25, Hackett 1.04, Lewis 2.00, Johnson 1.00, Kemo 1.50 and Gamble 8.00.

So 14.000 - 19.338 + 15.540 = 10.202 million in cap space. My guess is that Schefter hasn't included that 8 million move with Gambles contract.

Good stuff. Thanks.

How could that be right when Pep alone is making $16 mil and Gross' contract pays $30 mil the first three years.

How could that be right when Pep alone is making $16 mil and Gross' contract pays $30 mil the first three years.

You are correct sir. That should be 29.338 million. So that means my math was way off. So that would only leave the Panthers with .202 million in cap space. So Schefter is probably right on with his total of 1.9 million.

Damn, I glad you caught my mistake but at the same time 1.9 million isn't that much at all.

Why not? I think you have until a certain date to be under the cap.

So in truth we could sign a lot for a lot, as long as we're under the cap by the date specified.

The point I was trying to make is that all the big free agents will be gone in the first few days, so if we trade Pep too late, it won't matter if we have $5 Million, or $20, there will be no one to spend that much on.

The point I was trying to make is that all the big free agents will be gone in the first few days, so if we trade Pep too late, it won't matter if we have $5 Million, or $20, there will be no one to spend that much on.

why do we need to sign a "big name player"? I think that it would be pretty freaking retarded for this team to sign a big name FA with that 20 mil. Who out there is really worth a fat ass contract?

I guarantee you that every team that signs a big name FA is going to overpay, massively. Unless you get Haynesworth at 4 mil a year.

I would rather use that money to extend D-will, Beason, and Davis. Instead of dropping it on an overpriced lard ass who may or may not be motivated to help you win now that he has a 12mil/yr contract.

why do we need to sign a "big name player"? I think that it would be pretty freaking retarded for this team to sign a big name FA with that 20 mil. Who out there is really worth a fat ass contract?

I guarantee you that every team that signs a big name FA is going to overpay, massively. Unless you get Haynesworth at 4 mil a year.

I would rather use that money to extend D-will, Beason, and Davis. Instead of dropping it on an overpriced lard ass who may or may not be motivated to help you win now that he has a 12mil/yr contract.

If Peppers and Lucas are gone, you had better be sure we spend that $20 Million on someone for our defense. Our offense getting us 30 points a game means nothing with our D giving up 35, and that was with those two. Everyone wants Lucas gone, but whose gonna step up in his place? I for one think he looked worse than he is because of our lack of pressure up front. If you think for a second that Brayton or Johnson or Taylor is fine to replace Pep, or Marshall or Wilson is fine to replace Lucas, you are out of your mind. Don't get me wrong, I see the potential in Johnson and Marshall, but opening day starters, I sincerely hope not.

Your off on that one, Goings, Hackett, and Bridges saved us 4.5 million in cap this season.

Should be 4.5 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1.5 = 17 million

At the start of the Offseason we were at 108 million spent, with 123 being the cap number.

The cap number is now 127. So we had 19 Million to begin with, counting the Cap increase. So 19 million + 17 Million = 36 Million

Peppers, Gross, King, Anderson, = 17 + 10.5 + 1.5 + 1.0 = 29.5

Which is how I got my Number in the other Thread, of around 7 million in cap space.

I believe How Schefter got his number is from this. Take the three restructures off, equaled to around 4.54 million, take that off of our books, you get us down to 2.4 million and give or take on gross's contract and you have the discrepancy of .5 million, between that number and mine.

I could also be total wrong as well as a few sites, I'm not an expert.

But his post on his blog was around 1:30 - 2:00 and he had to have been calling teams for a while, so it's logical that he didn't include some cut's/ restructures in his numbers because of him having to call everyone to get those numbers.

That's the big thing in all this. How quickly or slowly does it take us to trade peppers is the key. I expect it to be a slow process the team says it's not going to be a big player in FA.

Archived