• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What happened with Jason Carter?

Proudiddy

We didn't tender an offer to Carter. I didn't get this move. Other than if Hurney is expecting no other teams will make an offer to a previously unproven WR coming off a knee injury, I just don't get it. We just cut Hackett, so if I'm correct, that only leaves us with Smitty, Moose, Jarrett, Robinson, and Moore. With Moore most likely not coming back.

Maybe we're looking to spend our first pick on a WR. I thought Carter showed enough in TC and pre-season last year to earn a spot going into TC this year. He didn't appear incredibly flashy, but seemed consistent - maybe a Donald Hayes type (Pre-Patriots that is). I wonder why we didn't even offer a tender? Any ideas?

We didn't tender an offer to Carter. I didn't get this move. Other than if Hurney is expecting no other teams will make an offer to a previously unproven WR coming off a knee injury, I just don't get it. We just cut Hackett, so if I'm correct, that only leaves us with Smitty, Moose, Jarrett, Robinson, and Moore. With Moore most likely not coming back.

Maybe we're looking to spend our first pick on a WR. I thought Carter showed enough in TC and pre-season last year to earn a spot going into TC this year. He didn't appear incredibly flashy, but seemed consistent - maybe a Donald Hayes type (Pre-Patriots that is). I wonder why we didn't even offer a tender? Any ideas?

I totally agree with you. This really pisses me off. First Taye Biddle and now Jason Carter. I expect him to land someone very quickly. The only thing that would hold him back would be whether he is fully recovered from his injury.

I really liked Carter. You would think we would at least make a minimum offer to him.

Yeah, I get that... But the thing with the draft is, every year we see all these guys come out that killed in college, but we have no idea how that translates to the pros. Carter showed he could perform with other pros, which was at least worth a tender. I'm guessing as a couple of you have said, that the Panthers are banking on other teams not going after him and then plan on bringing him back.

As far as the draft, I think we should still bring a guy in at WR as well. I'm hoping Harvin will be available in the 2nd round when we pick, as his combine wasn't super impressive, but I think the guy is a player. Pat White would be an awesome pick probably around the 4th as a Antwan Randle El type of guy. I think he could be a good WR and a great project as a QB long term as well.

Minimum salary for ERFAs and RFAs is much less than the lowest tender, it adds up.

Sources close to Patriots [team stats] linebacker Eric Alexander, who is currently out of the country, have indicated that the fifth-year pro and the team have agreed in principle to a one-year contract, with bonuses.

Alexander, 27, was a restricted free agent. He played in just the season opener last year before ultimately being placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

The Pats could have offered a low tender, at $1.01 million, or not tendered him, making Alexander an unrestricted free agent. Instead, the two sides have agreed on a new one-year deal that is lower than the tender.

Alexander, who has played mostly special teams for the Pats, had 18 tackles in 12 games in 2007.

{edit - rotoworld has Alexander's new contract at $620,000 + incentives}

I think something similar to this^ will happen with Carter and selected other ERFAs and RFAs. As usual, we will most let these players satisfy themselves that a better offer isn't available and they'll be back if we want them. If it came down to Carter and Jones, I'd take Jones (also not signed yet and a higher priority IMO).

Like I said, I wasn't blown away, but he looked consistent and seemed to have good potential to be a possession-type guy.

what?

he looked awful in every game he played in.

the whole hype about him was just due to what darin gantt said, which is a really bad problem this entire forum has.

don't worry there will be another low ceiling feel good story in camp next year for all of you to senselessly get your hopes up about

I really do like to go to camp each year and see who the next potential star is going to be. I was one of those in the summer who predicted that Willliams would have a breakout season and he did. Carter has the potential to be a good receiver. He has the skills and the drive. Doesn't matter in the end if he plays for us or someone else. And those who don't have hope are lost.

The best report right now says that the Panthers have only 1.9 million in cap space. I don't care if Carter is willing to sign for league min, signing him right now would be stupid on the part of a GM. Peppers tag is really going to hurt the Panthers not only with FA but with players on the team like Carter, Hangartner, Omiyale. They may or may not sign for low contracts/tenders but with the cap space there is just no room.

Archived