• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What about Cam will revolutionize the game?

SorthNarolina

Bradford struggled to make any passes downfield his rookie year.

The question was about who was signficantly ahead of Cam as a passer heading into the NFL. Lots of QBs played in spread offense and built better stats in college....doesn't mean they are ahead.

Clausen for example, looking at him as he headed into the NFL....he had poor mechanics, height, and questionable arm strength when looking at his game transitioning to the NFL. His game was better suited for college vs. the pros. How does that put him ahead as a passer?

it isn't about who was a good college player....it is about there passing skill set heading into the NFL and what the NFL asks of QBs.

Sanchez has been one of the most inaccurate and worst passers in the NFL the past 2 seasons. I mean the proof is in the pudding....Sanchez couldn't of been vastly ahead as poor as he has performed.

If this is how you judge them, then you need to wait until Newton's been in the NFL a year before you form any opinion.

All of these guys had better mechanics, footwork, and accuracy than Newton. Does that make them better QBs? Of course not. It makes them more polished. And the best example of that is Clausen. He's been getting coaching on mechanics and such since he was in kindergarten. And he showed them all off in college to the point where he was once considered a top draft prospect. Then he gets to the NFL, and the pressure and speed of the game makes him forget everything and look completely unprepared. It happens to a lot of QBs, and it will happen to our rookie too.

Plain and simple, it doesn't matter what these guys did their rookie year. All of them were better passers coming out of college. Better QBs? Doubtful, Newton can move chains like nobody else. The difference is, Cam has size to take a hit without falling, the presence to avoid a hit, and the speed to get away from the defense to set up again somewhere else, or to turn upfield and run. Granted, he may be exposed by NFL speed and power just like Clausen was, but since his game doesn't depend on having a high comfort level in the pocket, he probably won't be.

BTW you guys are lucky. I had a 15 paragraph post explaining exactly how Cam could revolutionize the way mobile QBs could be evaluated by scouts and draftniks in the future if he is successful. On the last sentence my computer arbitrarily shut down and I lost it all and don't have the heart or patience to re-type it. :(

BTW you guys are lucky. I had a 15 paragraph post explaining exactly how Cam could revolutionize the way mobile QBs could be evaluated by scouts and draftniks in the future if he is successful. On the last sentence my computer arbitrarily shut down and I lost it all and don't have the heart or patience to re-type it. :(

damn ...... that is good news! :D

pocket presense, size, speed , throwing motion, arm strength......I would argue Cam averages out better in those categories than most that have come out.

Cam needs to work on accuracy and the mental aspects of the position.

Those are arguably the only two important aspects of being a quarterback

If this is how you judge them, then you need to wait until Newton's been in the NFL a year before you form any opinion.

All of these guys had better mechanics, footwork, and accuracy than Newton. Does that make them better QBs? Of course not. It makes them more polished. And the best example of that is Clausen. He's been getting coaching on mechanics and such since he was in kindergarten. And he showed them all off in college to the point where he was once considered a top draft prospect. Then he gets to the NFL, and the pressure and speed of the game makes him forget everything and look completely unprepared. It happens to a lot of QBs, and it will happen to our rookie too.

Plain and simple, it doesn't matter what these guys did their rookie year. All of them were better passers coming out of college. Better QBs? Doubtful, Newton can move chains like nobody else. The difference is, Cam has size to take a hit without falling, the presence to avoid a hit, and the speed to get away from the defense to set up again somewhere else, or to turn upfield and run. Granted, he may be exposed by NFL speed and power just like Clausen was, but since his game doesn't depend on having a high comfort level in the pocket, he probably won't be.

I still fail to see how they were signifcantly better passers.....

I don't see how Clausen is the perfect example......I mean Mel Kiper claiming Clausen was this great prospect didn't make it true. Terry Bradshaw watched the same kid in college and pointed out the same flaws he showed at the next level. Clausen was almost a mirror image at ND as he was in Carolina.....his BS dump offs and slow scramble worked in college though. His mechanics were the same in college....NFL pressure didn't make them bad.

It is still my opinion the offenses they played in are presenting them as better passers for the next level than they really are in comparison to Cam. Cam is much more suited for certain NFL offenses than others.....for the one he is about to enter I still don't think there is evidence the others are signicantly ahead of him.

Those are arguably the only two important aspects of being a quarterback

Every QB coming out is going to have to work almost equally at the mental aspect.....that leaves just accuracy. Cam's other aspects offset what he needs to make up for in that department.

It is still my opinion the offenses they played in are presenting them as better passers for the next level than they really are in comparison to Cam. Cam is much more suited for certain NFL offenses than others.....for the one he is about to enter I still don't think there is evidence the others are signicantly ahead of him.

Maybe there is an offense that lets him throw it behind the line of scrimmage a lot and hopefully we get 8-9 yards on every one of those completions.

That would be awesome news.

Every QB coming out is going to have to work almost equally at the mental aspect.....that leaves just accuracy. Cam's other aspects offset what he needs to make up for in that department.

I agree everyone has to work, but we're talking about players being further along than Cam.

We're not saying these guys were already at the destination when they came into the league, but they were further along the journey.

I mean this argument Mark Sanchez was signifcantly ahead of Cam is silly. Pete Carroll didn't even endorse him. Also, the USC offense under Carroll has always masked how effective it's players would be at the next level......

Archived