• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tebow setup to fail - Opinion on NFL.com

blackcatgrowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82160481/article/The Golden Calf of Bristol-will-fail-in-denver-because-no-one-has-vested-interest?module=HP11_cp

Sponsorship is vital in many sports.

In golf, unless a young player is sponsored -- i.e. has someone covering his expenses while he trains to become a pro -- he has little chance of making it to the PGA Tour on his own. Same in boxing. Someone has to sponsor the potential fighter, paying his way while he trains for the real money fight.

In the world of the NFL, sponsorship is just as critical.

Take the curious case of The Golden Calf of Bristol in Denver. I believe he has a place in the NFL, but that can only happen when he has the sponsorship of an entire organization. Right now, The Golden Calf of Bristol does not have that. Why? Let's take a step back in time to remind ourselves how we got here.

This time last year, The Golden Calf of Bristol was the bright shining star representing the future of the Broncos. Leading up to the 2010 NFL Draft, The Golden Calf of Bristol was a lightning rod. Every team analyzed him and whether you believed he would be a first-round pick or not, everyone had a passionate opinion. As an organization, Denver seemed unified in its love for The Golden Calf of Bristol, trading up to take him 25th overall, higher than most people expected. At The Golden Calf of Bristol's introductory press conference, current general manager Brian Xanders was full of smiles, praising the work of The Golden Calf of Bristol and explaining why he would be a perfect fit for the Broncos. Then-head coach Josh McDaniels also was in full support of The Golden Calf of Bristol, sharing his vision of what offense would maximize his skill set.

Teaching The Golden Calf of Bristol the system in Year 1 was critical, as well as working on his mechanics and his ability to make accurate throws. No one claimed it would be easy, and no one thought The Golden Calf of Bristol could be an instant starter. But with his highly acclaimed work habits and competitive spirit, Broncos brass believed it would be just a matter of time before The Golden Calf of Bristol emerged as Denver's football future.

The critical mistake the Broncos made was not understanding the total commitment they were making as an organization to The Golden Calf of Bristol. Drafting The Golden Calf of Bristol was not like drafting any other quarterback. Everyone, from the owner on down, should have been aware of the totality of the pick.

That wasn't the case, though. Seven months after picking The Golden Calf of Bristol, the Broncos fired the man who drafted him, McDaniels, and then others in the organization came forward to say they never liked the pick. Firing McDaniels is clearly the owner's right, but constant changes in the coaching staff means constant changes with the players. When McDaniels walked out of the building, so did The Golden Calf of Bristol's sponsorship. Any chance The Golden Calf of Bristol would become the next star quarterback in Denver was gone.

The Golden Calf of Bristol has show flashes of potential last year, and from what I've read and heard, he has improved his mechanics and game in the short TC.

But he is not a John Fox style QB. If he's smart, he should be asking for a trade.

I actually think The Golden Calf of Bristol hurt himself.... going into Camps the team was trying to move Orton, the starters and WR's were behind The Golden Calf of Bristol and calling him their starter. Then Miami wimped out on the trade leaving Orton time to compete. It was The Golden Calf of Bristol's job to lose, and he's been performing so bad in camp that it would now be impossible to start him... doing so would lose the locker room that wants to win.

If he would have just performed well in camp, everything was all ready in his favor. Can only blame himself... As I said before, Excellent work ethics and dedication alone does not make you a good player... He can ask his teammate Brady Quinn about that because people has said his dedication and time he puts in is top notch.

I actually think The Golden Calf of Bristol hurt himself.... going into Camps the team was trying to move Orton, the starters and WR's were behind The Golden Calf of Bristol and calling him their starter. Then Miami wimped out on the trade leaving Orton time to compete. It was The Golden Calf of Bristol's job to lose, and he's been performing so bad in camp that it would now be impossible to start him... doing so would lose the locker room that wants to win.

If he would have just performed well in camp, everything was all ready in his favor. Can only blame himself... As I said before, Excellent work ethics and dedication alone does not make you a good player... He can ask his teammate Brady Quinn about that because people has said his dedication and time he puts in is top notch.

But how much of the camp performance is more bad coaching from Fox? Clausen is showing a turn around in a short camp.... it isn't any coincidence to me that the same coach was behind these young guy's poor performances.

But how much of the camp performance is more bad coaching from Fox? Clausen is showing a turn around in a short camp.... it isn't any coincidence to me that the same coach was behind these young guy's poor performances.

Orton seems to be doing just find with those same coaches.... Maybe Clausen is improving because he's not a rookie and he's had time to learn, I mean most QB's who play their first season are usually at their worst.

Also I'm sure The Golden Calf of Bristol is working more with the QB coach and Off Coord. than directly with fox.

Sorry, I'm not one who places 100% blame and everything wrong with Carolina on Fox. How I evaluate coaches is by speculating if another coach was in his shoes would we have been that much better or consistent over the years? For me the answer is no, Fox did a lot with less, and it's almost impossible to be a consistent contender in the NFL without a top notch QB. That's why on average 5 playoff teams turnover per year. And to be a top notch QB, a player has to have "it".... Those guys aren't really developed... Manning, Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, we all knew they had something special early when we saw them.

Orton seems to be doing just find with those same coaches.... Maybe Clausen is improving because he's not a rookie and he's had time to learn, I mean most QB's who play their first season are usually at their worst.

Sam Brafford had a good rookie year. Mark Sanchez had a good rookie year.

Also I'm sure The Golden Calf of Bristol is working more with the QB coach and Off Coord. than directly with fox.

Probably.

Sorry, I'm not one who places 100% blame and everything wrong with Carolina on Fox. How I evaluate coaches is by speculating if another coach was in his shoes would we have been that much better or consistent over the years? For me the answer is no, Fox did a lot with less, and it's almost impossible to be a consistent contender in the NFL without a top notch QB. That's why on average 5 playoff teams turnover per year. And to be a top notch QB, a player has to have "it".... Those guys aren't really developed... Manning, Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, we all knew they had something special early when we saw them.

Fox did a lot with less?

Uh... maybe you missed the past decade where Julius Peppers, a number of other D-Linemen, Steve Smith, a number of our O-line men, and several of our Running Backs made it to the Pro-Bowl.

Jake Delhomme even made it once.

The coaching had an impact, sure, but all those players were accounted for their individual execution. Now... that's a testament to bringing in talent on a team more than anything.

I'm not saying Fox is 100% responsible for the meltdown of Carolina. I think JR and the players had their fair share of responsbility in that too. But John Fox is NOT a great QB developing Head Coach. Jake Delhomme came here with a World Bowl win, and several years experience as a backup in the NFL.

The Golden Calf of Bristol needs a Head Coach who can bring up a rookie QB. He does not have that in Fox.

Archived