• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton starter vs Bengals, Week 1 starter TBD

Sword

Perhaps, but that would massively lean things in Clausen's favor, because very few teams are going to play starters in game 4 for more than a quarter at most and if he takes out our starters, jimmy will be playing with our 2nd team which may make a difficult comparison. Still, you may be right.

I think he really wanted one of the guys to step up in these games and neither did so he's just going to go with the one with more upside.

I think you judge them each just on how they throw and what decisions they make given the certain circumstances. If Rivera does do the same for Jimmy in game 4 and he is still checking down against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I don't think he would be helping himself at all. But if he takes chances down field, and if the ball is on target, then I think that would help his chances greatly no matter if the ball is dropped or a defender makes a good play on it. But also keep in mind that Clausen would be playing with our backup OL which has been bad all preseason. The QB who does the best given the certain circumstances and other factors will become our week 1 starter.

I like Rivera's call.

Give Cam a full offensive gameplan, starters for 3 quarters, shi**y Bengals... if he can't get it done then sit him. If he can, he goes. My guess is he does pretty well and starts the season even if he melts down thereafter.

Guys, he hasn't been handed the keys yet, he's just taking a test drive.

If they reverse this for next week, giving Clausen 3 quarters, it'll make for some good headlines, but Cam should do better since he is going against the Bengals and next week we get the Steelers.

In week 4, teams play almost exclusively scrubs, so I don't know that we will learn much against the Steelers.

Simple. You don't name a "starter" before you have to, so that you don't have to "bench" someone when you absolutely have to.

With that said, the writing is on the wall people. Its Cam time. Lets see how he handles the load, and so long as he doesn't go out there missing we can expect the keys to handed over. For those saying its obvious what we want to do, we drafted the guy number 1 overall.

In other news, no mention of Gamble being out.

In week 4, teams play almost exclusively scrubs, so I don't know that we will learn much against the Steelers.

While you're kind of right, Killerkat was on when he said they'd pay more attention what he does as opposed to the results of plays etc. It's much tougher for sure because Jimmy will be playing with our scrubs too for the most part, but still.

In other news, no mention of Gamble being out.

billvoth Bill Voth

Yes and yes RT @JNashty88: @billvoth Did Gamble and/or 89 practice today?

cause he's not out :) hopefully he can play, goddamn I want to see our defense fully loaded vs Cinci.

Archived