• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Football Outsiders: Newton, meet Woodson

CatMan72

Analysis of Cam's performance against GB from Football Outsiders:

Through their common experiences growing up in Georgia, Green Bay Packers safety Morgan Burnett has either seen Cam Newton play football, or played against him, at just about every possible level -– Pop Warner, high school, college, and now the NFL. Burnett didn’t see Newton during the quarterback’s season at Blinn Junior College, but if there’s one NFL defender who you’d think would have all the intel needed to solve Newton on the field, it would be the second-year safety out of Georgia Tech.

"You have to stay on your coverage a little bit longer than usual," Burnett said after the game. "You can see the athleticism he has in him, and he has a strong arm. He's a great quarterback."

Read more: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-2/2011/cover-2-reality-checks

Interesting on the first pick... I was wondering why Woodson was able to play underneath Smitty so well with the threat of Smitty breaking his route and turning upfield for a deep throw...

Until I read this and found out they had him double covered with help over the top so Woodson was freelancing underneath waiting for the throw. Wow... Couldn't see that on the broadcast.

Interesting bit on Morgan Burnett...kinda cool to see those connections in the league. I remember seeing a piece when Mike Tomlin was hired as coach of the Steelers that he played like junior college ball or something with a current NFL player...can't remember who it was but I remember they showed film.

Darren Sharper at William and Mary.

It was pretty clear on the broadcast.

I didn't see anyone over the top when the pick happened. It seemed like the end of the frame was pretty close to where it happened so you couldn't see the guy over the top.

Then again, I may have been closing my eyes, throwing stuff, and cussing.

Interesting on the first pick... I was wondering why Woodson was able to play underneath Smitty so well with the threat of Smitty breaking his route and turning upfield for a deep throw...

Until I read this and found out they had him double covered with help over the top so Woodson was freelancing underneath waiting for the throw. Wow... Couldn't see that on the broadcast.

You couldn't see it at first, but once he threw it and the camera followed all you seen was green and yellow. It was a very bad choice. Cam is good at not making the same mistakes so that won't happen very often. Those other int's were bad throws like he said. I can't wait until he gets comfortable and used to the NFL.

Lol at you guys arguing about different broadcasts. The game was ONLY broadcasted by FOX.

Anyways, the second pick to Woodson was kind of dumb. He pulled a Tim Teebow style jump pass and threw it behind Smitty on a drag route. Just a bad pass. Made Woodson out to be a bawl hawk, when really He just capitalized on Cam's rookie mistakes

You couldn't see it at first, but once he threw it and the camera followed all you seen was green and yellow. It was a very bad choice. Cam is good at not making the same mistakes so that won't happen very often. Those other int's were bad throws like he said. I can't wait until he gets comfortable and used to the NFL.

Yeah, although he made me wonder if that last pick wasn't partly on Naanee. Yeah, it was a bad throw, but it sounds like he may have also been expecting something else.

Archived