• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Julius Peppers, No Problem.

chknwing

One thing I have learned from this thread is that Cat'sGrowl is adamantly not a fan of Julius Peppers.

It's not that I'm not a fan of him, it's just that that there are a bounty of other defensive players I'd rather have given the choice. There are more reliable DE's to be had. Like I've said though, Peppers is a good football player, and I can understand why posters here have made him out to be some dominant force. I get it, I just dont agree with it, and the opinion of someone who is named Peppers90NC isn't going to change what's clear-athleticism/versatility doesn't equal dominance.

Peppers was the best 4-3 DE in all of football last season. It it sounds as if he is getting some DT play.....and that is scary.

I see the Pep hate still blinds some of us. Only thing Otah does is maul people in the run game.....and we are now a passing team.

Your opinion is noted, wrong but noted.

It's not that I'm not a fan of him, it's just that that there are a bounty of other defensive players I'd rather have given the choice. There are more reliable DE's to be had. Like I've said though, Peppers is a good football player, and I can understand why posters here have made him out to be some dominant force. I get it, I just dont agree with it, and the opinion of someone who is named Peppers90NC isn't going to change what's clear-athleticism/versatility doesn't equal dominance.

There were more reliable QBs would could of drafted over Cam most likely. In the NFL you simply need a handful of guys who might not give you an 8 every week (on a 1-10 scale). You need a few with the ability to pull of 11s any given Sunday. That is what Peppers is.....there are few of those in this league. A lot more who can give you the 8s every Sunday.

which parts and why?

Got no issue w/ you saying it is wrong....who makes it wrong.

You have repeatedly stated Peppers was the best DE in the nfl last season without posting a shred of proof minus your opinion, several advanced DL metrics disagree with you, as well as just looking at the stats he was above average.

Vernon Gholston is an athletic freak who absolutely blew up the combine. Hows he making out these days? Athleticsm/Freakish talent doesn't always mean dominate player. I'll take the guy who consistently pressures the quarterback and blows up run plays in the backfield(Johnson) versus the guy who might tip a ball and pick it off a couple times a year.

Not discrediting what Peppers has done and is still doing in the NFL... theres no denying hes an incredible talent, but Hell would freeze over before I give up Charles for Pep. We're just starting to see what Johnson can do, He's only 25.

I know that Peppers is a beast, but I'm still glad that he didnt sign the contract that we offered him. We would have had cap issues if we had. From what I understand, It was considerably more than what Chicago paid him, which I beleive was $90 million. Pep's career is going downhill. CJ's is still going up. Whether or not it was by choice, we got the better deal.

I dont disagree with this, especially long term. But we would be better with him than without today.... and tomorrow.

You have repeatedly stated Peppers was the best DE in the nfl last season without posting a shred of proof minus your opinion, several advanced DL metrics disagree with you, as well as just looking at the stats he was above average.

agree. he had flashy stats with 2 picks and a pro bowl appearance. But Charles Johnson led the league in QB hits and Hurries I believe, and still had more sacks and tackles than Pep. You could make a very good argument that Johnson was the best DE in football last year, and that was playing on maybe the worst DLine in football.

I said he was the best 4-3 DE in the NFL last season. If you don't think he was......who do you have over the 2010 All Pro/Pro Bowler.

I mean you are referencing your advanced stats.....stats don't tell the whole story but that sounds to me like you are suggesting Charles Johnson was better overall. If that is your claim then to me....it suggests you are strictly looking at numbers and didn't watch him play last year.

I don't think Johnson's 2010 season was the most impressive from a DE in Carolina history.....IMO that is what it would take to top Peppers last year. Peppers was much better than his stats would indicate last year.

But I if you want to argue against my opinion without naming anyone.....I don't see the point in continuing to discuss it.

I said he was the best 4-3 DE in the NFL last season. If you don't think he was......who do you have over the 2010 All Pro/Pro Bowler.

I mean you are referencing your advanced stats.....stats don't tell the whole story but that sounds to me like you are suggesting Charles Johnson was better overall. If that is your claim then to me....it suggests you are strictly looking at numbers and didn't watch him play last year.

I don't think Johnson's 2010 season was the most impressive from a DE in Carolina history.....IMO that is what it would take to top Peppers last year. Peppers was much better than his stats would indicate last year.

But I if you want to argue against my opinion without naming anyone.....I don't see the point in continuing to discuss it.

I think you just pulled the pro-bowl card? name recognition plus popularity contest hardly reflective of performance.

I watched him quite a bit, saw him get handled by TE's and give up on plays, typical of himself.

Archived