• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

panthers D getting ready to run....a lot

rayzor

on panthers.com they had a pretty good read* on thomas davis and a bit of how he thinks about the way the season ended and what he has done since.

the best of it, though, was where he commented on what he thought meeks was going to bring to the panthers and what he expected in practice:

"One thing you know about the Colts -- they were a defense that did a great job of running to the ball," Davis said. "We know that coming in this year, we've got to be in shape. That's one thing they're going to harp on this whole offseason -- everybody running to the ball collectively, and as a group just being in shape and hitting people when you get to the ball.

"We've got a lot to learn mentally with the new defense that we're putting in. Definitely I want to make sure that I'm as prepared as I can be strength-wise."

sooo...we already have a pretty good and fast back 7, imo. especially the linebackers have some good speed.

so are we going to see them swarming the ball the way meeks is known for having his Ds do? if so and they get faster than they already are then i am feeling really good about next year. the Dline still needs to be taken care of but other than that i feel our LBs and secondary can easily be near the top 5 in the league.

* andrew mason wrote it but tried too hard to impress.

There aren't many places where Thomas Davis can go and not be identified as a Carolina Panther. With that recognizance can come admiration and awe...

"For the season to end that way, it definitely felt good to get away from it all and just relax and try to take your mind off it," Davis said.

On that archipelago, you might think that football is just an afterthought, conferring anonymity on an NFL standout who visits

a thesaurus is not always your friend if you want to be a good writer.

sorry....it bugged me.

if we can get a couple good draft picks on the d-line and sign one or two mid-tier guys on the line i think our d is gonna be alright. we have some great talent on that side of the ball just need someone to come up with the right scheme to make the most of that talent and im confident meeks can do that

I'm excited to see what our defense is going to look like with Meeks as the coordinator. I just pray we don't see cornerbacks 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 2 much anymore. That always frustrates me.

they'd better get used to playing faster, because that's what it's gonna require to play in a Tampa 2 style defense.

Beason and Davis will probably have no problem adjusting. I don't know how much speed Diggs has though, and he might need to really focus to work in this system.

they'd better get used to playing faster, because that's what it's gonna require to play in a Tampa 2 style defense.

Beason and Davis will probably have no problem adjusting. I don't know how much speed Diggs has though, and he might need to really focus to work in this system.

diggs would be my big question mark also...id like to see if connor has the speed to take his spot?

diggs would be my big question mark also...id like to see if connor has the speed to take his spot?
that's what i was just getting ready to ask.

saw this, though...

Dan Connor declined to work out at the NFL Combine, because of nagging injuries from the Senior Bowl. Connor was weighed and measured and reportedly did very well during the interview process. Teams are impressed by his work ethic and his passion for the game. Connor will work out for scouts at Penn State's Pro-Day on March 18.

Dan Conner finally got to show off his ability at Penn State's pro day. After missing combine workouts because of injury, Connor put on a show. He ran a 4.67 forty yard dash and a 4.25 second short shuttle. In addition to those drills, Connor registered 21 reps on the bench press, a 35 inch vertical leap, and a 9'7" long jump. Connor has first round talent as a inside or weakside linebacker. He may, however, have to wait until round two to hear his name called.

link

For linebackers, reaction time and change of direction are more important than straight ahead speed.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Neither Diggs or Conner are seen as track stars but both are great at reaction time and change of direction, or at least Conner was in college. I think both will be able to excel in Meeks' scheme. I also think we will see better production out of Anderson and Johnson as well.

I'd hope, as a defense, we run to the ball.

Jesus.

it's more prevalent in meek's defenses, though. one of the things that he really has a reputation for.

Before a recent practice in Indianapolis, Ron Meeks, the Colts' defensive coordinator, was asked how Indy's version of the Tampa 2 defense evolved in one season from the team's perceived weak link into a confident, physical group that carried the club through the first quarter of the season, before the Colts' high-octane offense got in gear.

"We play with so much energy and speed," Meeks said. "When the ball is thrown, we're like piranhas. We're attacking the ball carrier, attacking the receivers, trying to inflict as much pain and play with as much energy as we can. A lot of it is an attitude."

link

remembering what his old boss, dan reeves said about him...

"He's a very good teacher," Reeves said Tuesday. "He's very much a technician and knowledgeable about the game. He's been around good coaches who have helped develop him into what he is today."

Reeves said Meeks combines the best of a coach's ability to teach with allowing his players to play on instinct.

"The way he gets his players to just fly to the ball has always impressed me," said Reeves, who said he regretted losing Meeks to the Washington Redskins in 2000. "What he's always preached is pursuit,of getting to the football."

link

i should be doing more writing/working.

i've had writers block for a couple days but it's gone now.

this is more fun. don't get paid for it though.

reminds me to get my panthers/football/fantasy football blog going.

put this research to good use.

Archived