• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

panthers D getting ready to run....a lot

rayzor

Wait, wait, wait,

So, Davis said:

"We've got a lot to learn mentally with the new defense that we're putting in. Definitely I want to make sure that I'm as prepared as I can be strength-wise."

Well, what happened to Meeks only being a puppet for Fox that some people went on about? It seems to me that if Fox is letting Meeks install a "new defense" as Davis says, then apparently he may give his assistants more latitude than many believe. Which would play into the notion that he only got invoved with Trgo's defense when he didn't like what he saw.

Sorry to bring up an old arguement, but I just found it interesting.

Wait, wait, wait,

So, Davis said:

"We've got a lot to learn mentally with the new defense that we're putting in. Definitely I want to make sure that I'm as prepared as I can be strength-wise."

Well, what happened to Meeks only being a puppet for Fox that some people went on about? It seems to me that if Fox is letting Meeks install a "new defense" as Davis says, then apparently he may give his assistants more latitude than many believe. Which would play into the notion that he only got invoved with Trgo's defense when he didn't like what he saw.

I've always felt that way about how Fox runs his ship. Ultimately, he's responsible, so he'll have his input, just like any other Senior Management would, but I honestly believe he leaves a majority of decisions up to his team to do their jobs. He's never struck me as a micromanager, and I doubt he ever will.

Wait, wait, wait,

So, Davis said:

beason was saying the same thing...that he was going to have to be doing a lot of work to get ready for the upcoming season...

We have new defensive coaches, new schemes. It will be a process learning that stuff and getting acclimated to new terminology.
link

i quit making that argument that the DC was a fox puppet a while back.

trgo was the problem.

trgo is gone.

king piranha is on the throne.

long live the king.

Wait, wait, wait,

So, Davis said:

By the same token, do you really believe that Fox is gonna stand by and let his DC run schemes that he doesn't believe in? It's not like the Panthers have never run the cover 2 before anyway...that's primarily the coverage they ran in his first couple of years here. It's not like they're switching to something totally new.

Actually, Fox blitzes a lot more than Meeks ever has, but you will probably never convince some people of that.

This whole blitz argument irks me anyway. You don't have to blitz a lot to play good defense in the first place. I would much much much rather be able to get consistent pressure with the front four than rely on blitzing all the time. Most of the great blitzing teams, are 3-4 teams anyway.

know you dont but i would like a 4-3 like philly..they blitz all the time and it works..fox has to hole bend but dont break thing that i hate.some of the worst teams are built that way..the lions for example when the new staff got in thats the first thing they got rid of...

true. they tried playing around with that in TC and there was a little talk about it but i guess they felt guilty(?) for trying to hide their true intentions?

not sure why they wouldn't want to disguise the blitzes.

i like the idea of constant pressure on the QB with the DL and decapitating anything crossing that line with the rest of the D.

The thing about disguising blitzes is that you have to line up more guys on the line of scrimmage than the normal 4 on every play and drop off different guys each play. That is what a team like Baltimore does. That way the offense doesn't know who is blitzing and can't call out their protections.

Of course teams can line up more traditionally and employs stunts, delayed blitzes, fake an overload from one side and come from the other, blitz off the corners or a number of other things to confuse the offense.

Still the object is to not be predictable to the point that the offense can figure what the defense is doing so that they can easily call an audible or change the play to take advantage of the defensive scheme.

I have felt all along that we are way too predictable as we were with Arizona for example when Fitzgerald knew we wouldn't cover him with Gamble in a man scheme because we never do that or even change assignments from one side of the field to the other. We probably had the most unimaginative defense in the league and that is why we need superior athletes to run it. Other teams get by with less talent and have good results because their make up for average talent with a better than averge scheme. If we do the same we should be fine.

By the same token, do you really believe that Fox is gonna stand by and let his DC run schemes that he doesn't believe in? It's not like the Panthers have never run the cover 2 before anyway...that's primarily the coverage they ran in his first couple of years here. It's not like they're switching to something totally new.

If it gets good results of course he will let him alone. If they don't work he will be meddling. That is what the boss is supposed to do. he let Trgo alone for years until his schemes got too complicated and produced poorer results.

Fox may be stubborn but he is far from stupid.

Think he meddled with the offense that much? Why not? Because it was very good and got better as we went.

know you dont but i would like a 4-3 like philly..they blitz all the time and it works..fox has to hole bend but dont break thing that i hate.some of the worst teams are built that way..the lions for example when the new staff got in thats the first thing they got rid of...

i believe that was more trgo than fox. meeks doesn't do the bend but don't break thing. he attacks.

even if it was fox, i hope he learned his lesson.

I know a lot of fans are not thrilled with the possibility of having C. Johnson and Brayton as the starting DEs but IMO they both could end up being great in Meeks defense. If Peppers should end up staying that would just make it that much better.

The big problem is the pressure from the DTs. I have a lot of concerns on how Kemo is going to do in this new system. I like Kemo and have given him a lot of credit even when others haven't but I don't see this as being a great system for him. I guess the big question will be if Meeks is able/willing to adjust his system to utilize Kemo's strengths.

Actually Kemo may be the best thing he has this year. Since he bring the DEs around the end so often trying to get pressure, if he employs a defense similar to Indy, the defense is very susceptible to draws, runs over the tackle and in the areas just vacated by the DEs. If Kemo can hold the middle it allows the linebackers to get to those running backs and avoid getting blocked by offensive linemen reaching the second level. I don't know if Kemo will line up over the center as he did last year or line in a 1 technique (in the A gap between the center and guard) or whatever. But he will never be counted on to blitz the passer. In fact I wonder if he be in that often in third down situations at all. But he is clearly superior against the run and we suffered when he was injured against the Giants.

If it gets good results of course he will let him alone. If they don't work he will be meddling. That is what the boss is supposed to do. he let Trgo alone for years until his schemes got too complicated and produced poorer results.

Think he meddled with the offense that much? Why not? Because it was very good and got better as we went.[/QUOTE]

According to most huddlers, Fox was meddling like crazy with the offense when it wasn't working very well. I can't even begin to count how many times people here suggested that Fox was holding Davidson back in 07. It's funny how that works.

i believe that was more trgo than fox. meeks doesn't do the bend but don't break thing. he attacks.

even if it was fox, i hope he learned his lesson.

Teams can play a zone defense and still do so aggressively. Perhaps the best example of that using a 4-3 was Tampa. They didn't blitz a lot but played a very aggressive zone. Until we ate them up at our house they were ranked pretty high defensively. They also were historically pretty good against the run despite putting their Mike linebacker further back in coverage.

Think he meddled with the offense that much? Why not? Because it was very good and got better as we went.]QUOTE]

According to most huddlers, Fox was meddling like crazy with the offense when it wasn't working very well. I can't even begin to count how many times people here suggested that Fox was holding Davidson back in 07. It's funny how that works.

Actually, I would be fine with that too. The problem is that there are only so many DC's that have mastered the art of blitzing to the level of a Jim Johnson or a Dick Lebeau, and it took those guys years to get to that level.

Archived