• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Delhomme here to stay

Mr. Scot

That's the same irrational thinking I pointed out from another poster a while ago.

Believing that they "aren't committed to improving" just because they aren't making the moves you think they ought to make is just silly.

They're committed to improving. They're committed to winning. They have to be unless they have some secret desire to be unemployed. Disagreeing with you and other fans on how to go about that is not a sign to the contrary.

Scottie, you talk as though the fans are ostensibly saying that the FO is not committed to winning, in the sense that the FO does not want to win. I don't think that any sane minded person really believes that.

The question is really about whether the team WILL win. You're kind of beating round the bush and getting all lost in semantics and/or maybe the wrong choice of words.

WILL we win the championship with Delhomme at the helm? I think that the majority of us here aren't questioning whether the FO is committed to winning. That's a side issue, and begs the real question.

SoAny QB that screws up temendously as Delhomme did with as good of an offense....QUOTE]

i guess you never watched the Indy vs Charges game where Peyton threw 4 or 5 INTs....

Delhomme, altho is he not the best he is still in the better half of the starting qb's.

I think we can all appreciate the fact that the team hasnt wasted pics on QB's, rather focused on other positions. We have a very strong team b/c of this

3) Tommy John for pitchers is completely different than football. They throw more, throw harder, and through 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. Comparing that is completely different.

And just what does that have to do with the main thing that affects pitchers who have it, which is iffy accuracy, likely being a factor no matter who has the surgery? Nothing. I have no idea how much pitchers throw, but I bet they don't practice as much as QBs (over the same time period, obviously the baseball season is longer so the overall volume is more)and the starters usually play only about 1ce/week just like QBs. The only time they throw more is in an actual game I would bet.

Scottie, you talk as though the fans are ostensibly saying that the FO is not committed to winning, in the sense that the FO does not want to win. I don't think that any sane minded person really believes that.

Did you happen to read the actual posts to which the responses were written?

I really hope we never had a chance to land a better QB with trading Peppers. I don't ever want to know or hear anything like that. If I ever do, it's obvious this team isn't as focused as other teams are in making the big show.

But you gotta think that if the organization really is committed to improving our team and making it better, that they have to be looking at options for that position.

I can only hope they are.

And then there's this from another thread...

Expect something more. It's not like saying if the fans picket outside of BOA demanding Jay Cutler to be traded here, the organization will make the call. But if this fanbase can get hardcore enough and lower it's tolerance level comparative to Cowboys fans', Giants fans', Steelers fans', maybe at one point, it'll make them work that much harder in order to improve. The way I perceive it, they are probably under the assumption that we're collectively satisfied with what we did this year, or at least "we should be", and truthfully, that makes their seats a little more comfortable.

Until all the softies who leave the game before the 4th quarter and walk around with the "2003 NFC Champions" T-shirts they've been wearing for the past 5 years who are still "just happy Carolina has a franchise" are bred out and replaced by more hardcore fans who don't embrace the excuses and are more concerned about what we can do in the future rather than what we did in 2003, or 2005, or 2008, I don't see it happening. Until we start looking at it like, lets just go out there and anything more than a slightly above average effort or an eek into the playoffs is just gravy, we're not going to go as far as we could. Until the stadium atmosphere gets amped up to be more exciting than a corporate banquet or a roadside flea market, I don't see it happening. As long as a ho-hum organization is complemented by a ho-hum fanbase, it's going to go by as slow as humanly possible.

These posts all say essentially the same thing. If the team doesn't makes the moves I think they ought to, then they must not be committed to winning.

I think the whole notion is ridiculous. Hence, why I wrote that the organization is most definitely committed to winning. They just don't see the method to do it the same as fans do.

And then you wrote the same thing I did, but framed it as a contradiction.

The question is really about whether the team WILL win. You're kind of beating round the bush and getting all lost in semantics and/or maybe the wrong choice of words.

WILL we win the championship with Delhomme at the helm? I think that the majority of us here aren't questioning whether the FO is committed to winning. That's a side issue, and begs the real question.

1) Patriot had tape on everyone anyway, that game doesn't count, LOL.

2) Comparing Delhomme to FAVRE is nuts.

3) Tommy John for pitchers is completely different than football. They throw more, throw harder, and through 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. Comparing that is completely different.

4) Yes, the get tape on all QB's after a year, however, those QB's that are good learn to change things. Jake doesn't. This, like I said, could be bad coaching also, so not all Jake's fault.

Jake will be our QB, I'm sure, but I hope this new QB coach can change some things with him and fix some things. We all want a franchise QB, and in wanting that we're not giving up on our team, we're just being fans. Come first game of the season I'll be hoping Jake plays great as much as the next guy.

We don't all want a franchise QB. Fireball will tell you flat out she doesn't. Others, even among Delhomme critics, would tell you the Fox philosophy doesn't require one. And since Fox and Hurney themselves don't subscribe to the "franchise QB" model, I wouldn't expect to see one anytime during their tenure.

I guess next someone will write that if they really wanted to win, they'd get a franchise QB. Thus, they must not really be committed to winning :rolleyes:

This whole thing amazes me, honestly.

People questioning the front office's commitment to winning because they aren't making the moves they want them to...

Questioning Gantt's credibility as a journalist because he's telling them something they don't want to hear...

Folks suggesting that maybe if the fanbase was more active the front office would listen to them, as if the team should listen to what fans (who are far from unified) want them to do...

I guess the next step is someone coming out with a thread saying they won't be a fan anymore if the team doesn't bench/cut/fire who they want them to. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

(why don't you just hold your breath instead?) :sosp:

Every fanbase has some who do nothing but complain but those who are loaded with rabble rousers demanding change on a constant basis when things don't go their way are just plain annoying. To make things worse, their local writers and radio personel perpetuate this behavior with their "shock jock" comments. The perfect example is NY teams. Two-three years ago most of their fans were screaming for Coughlin's head. But check this out, these posts were written after the Giants loss against Washington in late December 2007 (six weeks before they won the Super bowl). Go ahead, it will not take long...

http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=4537&tstart=0&start=10

Maybe it is how my mom rasied me to be somewhat respectful. Maybe it is the more laid back atmosphere here in the south. Either way, I'm not going to act like I know how to run this team each and every week after they have had a bad game by screaming and complaining.

And yes, I consider myself a true fan

This whole thing amazes me, honestly.

People questioning the front office's commitment to winning because they aren't making the moves they want them to...

Questioning Gantt's credibility as a journalist because he's telling them something they don't want to hear...

Folks suggesting that maybe if the fanbase was more active the front office would listen to them, as if the team should listen to what fans (who are far from unified) want them to do...

I guess the next step is someone coming out with a thread saying they won't be a fan anymore if the team doesn't bench/cut/fire who they want them to. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

(why don't you just hold your breath instead?) :sosp:

Scottie, don't you think that it's a bit naive to think that what the fans think plays no part within the minds of the FO? They are as human as anybody?

Now, I am not saying that their decisions come down to what fans think, or even that they should, but what I am saying is that the FO is not immune to the feelings of their fan base, and as such the fans---whom the writers have a feel for----have an effect, though minuscule it may be.

Scottie, don't you think that it's a bit naive to think that what the fans think plays no part within the minds of the FO? They are as human as anybody?

Now, I am not saying that their decisions come down to what fans think, or even that they should, but what I am saying is that the FO is not immune to the feelings of their fan base, and as such the fans---whom the writers have a feel for----have an effect, though minuscule it may be.

Then why was Turg kept so long and welcomed back this year?

FO doesn't listen to the fans opinion, thank God.

Since our playoff loss, Fox, Hurney, Trgovac and Peppers have all been asked the same similar question, "What do say to the fans/critics who are upset about (insert relevant situation here)."

Their resposes have all be diplomatic saying they appreciate the passion and concern but in the end the final decision comes down to what is best for the team/ourselves.

The responses would be the same for most around the league but I really think our guys really mean it just as they say it. Fan support is great. Fan approval is not necessary.

If they aren't immune to the feelings of their fanbase yet you don't think they should consider what the fans want when they make decisions on PLAYERS (not things in the stadium like beer prices, that has a direct impact on fan spending and they should consider fans' opinions on those things), why should they waste time considering the feelings of their fanbase? If fans don't want Michael Vick or some other criminal on their team, that's a valid topic to assess fan thought on...that's something that might cause some to revolt and dump their tickets, protest, etc. If fans don't like DeShaun Foster and scream about him on the internet, not so much.

Bottom line, I don't believe owners/GMs/coaches should think for a New York second about the fans opinions on who should be playing if they aren't criminals. They are there to put what they think it the best product on the field and to make money.

Certainly it is nice to have an owner who will listen (not DO ANYTHING but LISTEN) to the fans about players, but that's as far as it should go...nod & grin, thank them for their support.

Archived