• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For the PC Gamers

The Saltman

I am a pretty new PC gamer due to the fact that I have never had a good machine with a decent graphics card until now.

Well what do you guys use for gameplay?

Just strictly keyboard and mouse or do you guys have some different devices to use to help out with gameplay?

upgraded mouse or game pad or what?

Since Ive been with consoles so long using a controller what do you guys suggest? Just stick to the basics?

I can understand strategy games and some RPG's but what about shooters and such??

Thanks for zee advice.

Mostly every game is better on the keyboard except sports. I play all my fps games and RPG's with the keyboard and mouse. For the sports games i use my ps3 controller although there are better options i prefer it over most.

As for racing games i would suggest a steering wheel such as this

best-pc-wheel.jpg

but its costly so just i stick with a gamepad of the keyboard.

Pretty much what Irv said.

I only use mouse and keyboard. I don't play racing games, so I don't need any of that.

Now if you are gonna be playing a lot of MMO's you could get a mouse and keyboard with extra keys and buttons to hotkey. Up to you really.

I also just feel the precision is much better with a mouse and keyboard than using a controller.

I've got a keyboard with a gamepad on the left side. Very useful in an MMO to be able to hit all your hotkeys with one hand. Don't know of any other type of game where you really need to reach more than a handful of buttons to play. A mouse with a few extra programmable buttons on it can be helpful in some games. Being able to stick like a grenade throw or secondary ability for an FPS on a mouse button can be useful but not really necessary. If anything I recommend finding a mouse that is comfortable to you and fits how you hold the mouse. Depending on your grip some mice might make your hand or fingers uncomfortable after a while.

will say this real quick m/k vs controller IMO is strictly by taste for the most part, the only games I actually prefer a m/k over a controller for are strategy games.

with that said I don't play games like MMO RPG's and sims and stuff like that just because they don't interest me

I use mouse and keyboard for fps games that require faster movement or with mobas/rts games that require precision clicking. For stuff slower paced like portal and some rpgs I used a wired 360 controller. It's beneficial to get a gaming mouse with extra buttons to map too.

The general rule is to use what your competition uses or better.

I use keyboard/mouse and my wireless xbox controller. Works well for me. Back in the day I had a redic joystick for flying games, but I no longer need it.

Xbox controller is nice to play certain games. You can also use it as a mouse on your desktop, control volume with buttons, and be more relaxed if you just want to browse the internet.

Some games even come with a "play with xbox 360 controller" set up so you don't have to mess with button mapping.

Archived