• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Penn State...what did Paterno know?

g5jamz

My understanding is no.

He reported the incident to his AD superiors, and they took it from there.

Interestingly, when cops listened in on a mother's conversation with Sandusky, in which he essentially confessed and wished himself dead, the DA declined to pursue the case.

The guy that is now missing and presumed dead.

So yeah, these kids were failed by people of authority at SO MANY levels it is almost incomprehensible.

I'd like to understand more about what Paterno did and did not do before we throw him under the moral bus.

It's all pretty well documented at this point. Go read the indictment if you still think there's any question as to JoePa did anything more than the absolute bare-minimum to absolve himself legally.

Paterno did involved the campus police right?

Nope.

Many of my closest friends were born in State College, grew up there, and then attended Penn State. It is hard to describe how confused and distraught these guys seem right now.

Here's what one of them had to say a few days ago, posted on the message board of our FFL:

I'm going to keep this pretty short and to the point as I have to DO MY JOB unlike some Penn State officials...

What has happened over the landscape of college football with cheating to buying houses for family members and paying players and DUI's has reigned havoc and really put the spotlight on "who's really in charge".

What has happened at Penn State isn't even on this level. If what is alleged is true then this is pure and utter evil.

This goes beyond the pained lines on the field into a realm of inhumanity that is usually reserved for criminology classes and psychological case studies. For almost a decade these allegations were the quiet things no one dared talk about. And now, like all things left to fester, have rotted, smoldered, and erupted.

Today I am not proud to be a Penn Stater. Today I am not proud to say I grew up in State College. Today, the small town we all grew up in with it's Leave It To Beaver streets and squeaky clean image was exposed to reveal the most heinous cover up in college history.

This isn't about sports. This isn't SMU going on the death penalty or Reggie Bush's illgotten Heisman. This is about a sexual predator allowed to roam free across our campus - a predator lauded with accolades and revered as a champion of the less fortunate - children he was supposed to be protecting. Instead he defiled the Penn State name, repeatedly, and NO ONE DID ANYTHING.

Today I'm not proud to be affiliated with Penn State. I don't think I will be proud tomorrow either.

It's all pretty well documented at this point. Go read the indictment if you still think there's any question as to JoePa did anything more than the absolute bare-minimum to absolve himself legally.

I read the whole thing and Paterno's involvement was a pass through. Paterno is barely mentioned except to show that he acted quickly in passing this up the ladder.

The real question is whether Paterno, when he realized that Shultz and Curley were not reporting this had a duty to take action. We have no idea what pressure Paterno was putting on his superiors or what information they were giving to Paterno. Presumably while these guys were covering up and lying they were telling Paterno something. No idea what this was. Could have been "we are handling it and it may take a while."

I just read that he lured the kids in by promising them game tickets, locker room access, being able to meet the players, etc.

I'm legit pissed off now. What 10 year old boy wouldn't fall for that? When I was 10 if Frank Beamer told me I could come to Lane Stadium and hang around I'd be there in a fuging heart beat without thinking twice. The sick fug at Penn State knew kids would jump at that chance and used it to get his rocks off. I hope he fuging dies.

He bought them weed too.

The one thing I hate is people that take advantage of kids because they literally can't help themselves. Hell even the most morally depraved hardened criminals and murderers in jail always attack child molesters when they get to prison.

This guy at Penn state is a sick fugg and the fact that he used him job at the damn halfway house as sort of an all you can eat buffet just makes me even more disgusted. Its a terrible thing and he deserves every thing that will happen to him in this life and the after life.

As far as Joe Pa I have mixed feelings. I feel sorry for him, I've never been a super PSU fan but if their game is on I'll watch it and I liked Joe. They were having a good season this year too. But at the same time he could have atleast gone to campus police. He's old yea, and he might not understand all of it, but if he's that old then he should step down anyways. I actually want to know why the grad student that caught Sandusky banging the kid didn't stop it. If I saw so old guy having sex with a little kid I want to say that I would have at the very least made my presence known instead of making that kid have to suffer through it any more. This whole situation is crazy. What the hell kind of world are we living in?

With regard to the police, one of the guys Paterno reported this to was in charge of campus police.

I really can see why he may have thought he was doing everything right.

I agree. I blame the President and AD more than I blame JoePa. If I go to the AD and tell him and I go to the police I expect them to handle it. Joe didn't have anything to do with Sandusky having an office on campus and all of that stuff. Not saying Joe Pa is without blame but I think there's more on the higher ups.

Archived