• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton

antame

haha Gabbert gets a pretty rough treatment by Jags fans actually, some of them still are convinced he was drafted by the front office to force a move to LA.

But you are right that despite the fact Dalton has thrown 5 INTs in the last two weeks, Ponder's thrown 4, both of them seem to get more respect from some of the posters here who hate on Cam.

Dunno about the national media though... I mostly hear good things about Cam from them (and Dalton and Ponder). All 3 rookies are playing well for rookies and deserve praise for that.

I don't catch ESPN football highlights as much as I do NFLN. NFLN gave Dalton a pass on his ints. They said overall he had a great game against the Ravens despite not having A.J. Green. It's clear A.J. Green is Dalton's right hand man. Didn't hear anything on Ponder. As usual, they placed all their focus on Cam and the Panthers offense but it's clear who they were rooting for and it wasn't the Panthers.

I don't have NFLN so I'll take your word for that. Truth is, Cam showed poor decision making on a couple of those ints today. But we're asking him to do so much I am not surprised. you expect a rookie to throw ints.

I am a bit more concerned with his outright misses of open guys on occasion, but hopefully he can settle back down and the defense can get a bit more stingy and the offense won't have to do it all alone. Because as it is, the way our defense is playing, we have virtually no chance of winning even if Cam plays at nearly a perfect level.

There's a couple camps there. Some say you can't teach accuracy. Others say you can improve it a bit, especially as a QB becomes more comfortable with the system he's running, or at least the quarterback's ball placement can improve due to familiarity with routes and who is running 'em.

I think Cam is the kind of guy that will always occasionally sail a ball over his receiver's heads, but even the greats do this once in a while.

Rookies do that kind of thing all the time. It's not uncommon. Manning was pretty accurate as a rookie but even he had his moments. It was a long time ago ago but I know that he sometimes sailed balls away from his receiver.

Cam is not *all* poor accuracy, either. He can deliver some lasers, he actually showed some decent touch on short passes today too (wish he'd use them more often). Overall his accuracy still needs work but I think some of what we saw was also miscommunication on routes. Not talking about the Smitty throws there - not sure what that was. Overall I think Cam is still learning, which is good. Plenty of time to improve.

I don't have NFLN so I'll take your word for that. Truth is, Cam showed poor decision making on a couple of those ints today. But we're asking him to do so much I am not surprised. you expect a rookie to throw ints.

I am a bit more concerned with his outright misses of open guys on occasion, but hopefully he can settle back down and the defense can get a bit more stingy and the offense won't have to do it all alone. Because as it is, the way our defense is playing, we have virtually no chance of winning even if Cam plays at nearly a perfect level.

My biggest concern with Cam is this team burning him out before he can reaches his potentual. It's clear he wants to win and it's even more obvious that the coaches are over using him to compensate for the weaknesses of the team.

I really wished the Panthers would build the team around Cam's strengths and minimize his weaknesses by having the receivers step up their game instead of using Cam to plug up where ever the team is lacking; which inturn, spreads him real thin and make him quite vunerable.

IMO, if the coaches really felt confident in the Panthers running game, do u not think they would have implemented it more instead of having Cam run or sling balls down the field with so much time on the clock risking the chance of it being int?

There's a couple camps there. Some say you can't teach accuracy. Others say you can improve it a bit, especially as a QB becomes more comfortable with the system he's running, or at least the quarterback's ball placement can improve due to familiarity with routes and who is running 'em.

I think Cam is the kind of guy that will always occasionally sail a ball over his receiver's heads, but even the greats do this once in a while.

Rookies do that kind of thing all the time. It's not uncommon. Manning was pretty accurate as a rookie but even he had his moments. It was a long time ago ago but I know that he sometimes sailed balls away from his receiver.

Cam is not *all* poor accuracy, either. He can deliver some lasers, he actually showed some decent touch on short passes today too (wish he'd use them more often). Overall his accuracy still needs work but I think some of what we saw was also miscommunication on routes. Not talking about the Smitty throws there - not sure what that was. Overall I think Cam is still learning, which is good. Plenty of time to improve.

I guess that's some comfort.

IMO, if the coaches really felt confident in the Panthers running game, do u not think they would have implemented it more instead of having Cam run or sling balls down the field with so much time on the clock risking the chance of it being int?

No. They wouldn't.

They have said from day one the goal here is to "battle harden" Cam and get him to get used to throwing the balls a ton of times now. To take our lumps with him now, so that in the future if we need to rely on him, we can. They want him to throw the ball a ton because they think that's the way to make him better. They also want to be a pass first offense, both now and in the future.

And anyway, if Chud doesn't trust our running game, it's because he just has that issue (this was a problem he had at Cleveland too when they had a great back), not because it isn't being productive...

No...Don't want to be his bodyguard. Nor do I feel the need to sit and pick him apart. Especially when the real reason why this team loses so much lies on the other side of the Panthers team and not with Cam's occasional overhead throws.

Dude. Cam needs to stop throwing footballs 15 feet over his receivers heads.

No...Don't want to be his bodyguard. Nor do I feel the need to sit and pick him apart. Especially when the real reason why this team loses so much lies on the other side of the Panthers team and not with Cam's occasional overhead throws.

understood. Just messin wit ya. Always see u defending Cam lol.

Im not concerned with cam as much as i am the playcalling and philosophy of the staff. If they want him to pass the ball alot to get acclimated to the game that's fine, but i hope we actually see that transition into a "balanced" offense once he's reached the level they see him being at. Too many times have things been promised to happen and u never actually see it. That goes for many things.. politics, sports, etc.

No. They wouldn't.

They have said from day one the goal here is to "battle harden" Cam and get him to get used to throwing the balls a ton of times now. To take our lumps with him now, so that in the future if we need to rely on him, we can. They want him to throw the ball a ton because they think that's the way to make him better. They also want to be a pass first offense, both now and in the future.

And anyway, if Chud doesn't trust our running game, it's because he just has that issue (this was a problem he had at Cleveland too when they had a great back), not because it isn't being productive...

so u really feel the coaches a more interested in having Cam rep out his arms and have a team "take their lumps" than winning? Cam isn't bad as a QB as many want to project him. He may not be 100% accurate as some want him to be but the coaches don't need to sacrifice a season because they want him to learn on the job. Cam has taken an offense that was dead last to the top 10 ten this season. I'd Cam's game is the least of this team's issues.

so u really feel the coaches a more interested in having Cam rep out his arms and have a team "take their lumps" than winning? Cam isn't bad as a QB as many want to project him. He may not be 100% accurate as some want him to be but the coaches don't need to sacrifice a season because they want him to learn on the job. Cam has taken an offense that was dead last to the top 10 ten this season. I'd Cam's game is the least of this team's issues.

lol, yes, I think they think that working Cam out as much as possible is the best bet now to win more in the future, not so much 'because he needs it', but because they think he will gain valuable experience for the future. They've basically said that. They also want this to be a *pass first* team, to the point where they want to be able to do whatever they want to opposing defenses at any point. Basically every signal they have given is basically that, as far as the offense goes this year, it's all about developing Cam Newton as a passer. I think they also feel that they have an offense in place that can win games doing that. Frankly, they're right... it's the defense mostly letting us down IMO.

They're apparently afraid of ending up with Mark Sanchez (no offense, I know you're a Jets fan).

Archived