• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At First Glance There Are 11 Holes On This Team

NJPanthers12

Looking into the roster the Panthers are set at the following positions:

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

WR: Steve Smith

WR: Brandon LaFell/David Gettis

TE: Greg Olsen

TE: Jeremy Shockey (going off the assumption he will be brought back)

LT: Jordan Gross

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil

DE: Charles Johnson

SLB: James Anderson

MLB: Jon Beason

CB:Chris Gamble

SS: Charles Godfrey

This leaves us with holes at RG, RT, DE, DT, DT, WLB, CB, FS, KR/PR, K, and P. I know a lot of people on here are talking playoffs next year, and I am sipping the koolaid as well, but 11 holes is a lot to fill in one offseason. Especially in an offseason where we don't have a third round pick and limited cap space. Being realistic you come to realize that some of the holes on this team will need to be filled with players already here and hope for improvement. Looking at the holes I believe at RG you have to allow Geoff Schwartz and Geoff Hangartner to battle it out during training camp. I believe both are suitable starters and we can get by with either one. I know a few posters on this board want Decastro from Stanford, but I think this team could make the playoffs with Schwartz or Hangartner starting.

That now leaves 10 holes. If you look at RT you need to make a decision if you are comfortable with Jeff Otah for at least one more year or if you want to ignore defense and draft Riley Reiff in the first round. I personally think our defense is too much of a mess to ignore and that Jeff Otah should be given one last shot to prove himself. When Otah is right there are not many better at creating holes in the run game. So going into the offseason I see us look for some depth along the O-Line, bringing back Shockey, and possibly looking for a depth WR. In my opinion very little will be going into the offense this offseason.

I think Hardy is a very solid player and someone who I believe will improve. People need to remember there was very limited training camp last year, no mini camps, and he got hurt at the start of training camp. If he can improve his play against the run and we can get solid DTs to take pressure off the outsides I believe he will be like Osi Umenyiora type player.

At second glance I now see 8 glaring holes on this team. DT, DT, WLB, FS, CB, KR/PR, K, and P. How do you see us filling these holes this offseason? I can very easily see us filling some holes by drafting two impact players in the first 2 rounds, getting a KR/PR in the fourth round, and P or K in the sixth or seventh. That would leave us with 4 glaring holes and depth issues. While the upside sure is bright here in Carolina, there are still many questions to be answered and I would love to hear all of your opinions.

I have two dream scenarios that would really fill up these holes. Scenario A would have us drafting Still and pairing him with Edwards. Then drafting an OLB in the second and signing Grimes away from Atlanta. I know this won't happen considering JR said we won't be signing any high priced free agents.

Scenario B is Claiborne falling down to us and getting a DT in the second round. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out, but all I know is if we have any shot at competing next year we need 1 CB, 1 DT, and 1 LB.

how many holes did we have our sb year?

Majority of our oline was old and slow.

We had no starting calibur cb's.

We had a hole at the other safety position.

We had Jake delhomme, whom was a nobody at the time.

Point is, no team is going to be stack at every postion.

Both teams in this weekend superbowl have glaring holes also, yet they are about to play for lombardi.

Needs for the team are simple.

DT, CB, LB

DE's No issues

KR/PR No issues

Oline No issues (The place Otah on IR to allow him to heal properly with trainers and Docs from the team to help him. Remember he had no support during the lock out no did TD)

TE's No issues. (Even if we do not resign Shockey, we have Barndige coming off of IR and he was drafted as a Pass catching Te that FOX never used as such. with our current OC and offense, I think he'll be good)

WR No Issues (Smith, Lafell, Gettis, Naanee)

CB Issues (Captain is a great nickle back but has struggled and been brunt tomany times since starting. And has had to many penalties on top of that)

SS/FS No issues Godd starters and Depth

DE's No Issues (Johnson is a beast in the pass or run, Keiser, Thomas I happen to like his non stop drive. this guys does not stop on plays. needs some work though with pass rush skills, Hardy, Greg real deal just needs another camp and a healthy camp to grow into the position.)

The biggest issue we face this offseason is our salary cap room. and there is not much there.

You can't be serious

Archived