• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wake Forest.

Swan

UNC

Pros:

-Cheaper- even out of state

-More opportunities- a bigger community has more to offer, but it is also easier to get lost in a big school if you don't apply yourself

-Sports:unc-chapel-hill-wins-2009-ncaa-championship.jpg - note this is NOT a good reason to choose a school, but doesn't hurt either

-if you are thinking pre-med, while Wake does have a great pre-med program, UNC has at top ten medical school- disclaimer just in case you don't know (medical schools do not care what you major in, as long as you take the MCAT and the required pre-med courses. At UNC that involves getting a minor in Chemistry. You can major in Women's Studies if you really wanted to

Cons

-If you don't want to go to a big school, you probably will have a harder time enjoying UNC- but that is true no matter where you apply

Grades: 4.4 GPA junior year. All AP/Honors.

SAT: 2100-something, forgot the exact number. Equates to a 32 ACT.

Various leadership, community service, etc.

You're fine then, bro. In state, you'd be in to either school in a heartbeat. Out of state, I'd say you still have a pretty good chance. UNC application deadline was in early January I believe, so I guess it's too late for that.

If you haven't applied for Wake and the deadline hasn't passed yet, go ahead and apply. I'd say you have a fair chance at getting in.

Thanks for the input, Panther. Really appreciate it. Top 10 medicine. Did not know that. However, I didn't apply to UNC. Out of state admissions seemed too competitive. If I do go to Wake, it could be a transfer option. We'll see.

Also, being from two of the hottest states (Texas and California), how is the climate and weather of North Carolina?

Thanks for the input, Panther. Really appreciate it. Top 10 medicine. Did not know that. However, I didn't apply to UNC. Out of state admissions seemed too competitive. If I do go to Wake, it could be a transfer option. We'll see.

Also, being from two of the hottest states (Texas and California), how is the climate and weather of North Carolina?

Generally speaking, not bad. Summer is hot and humid, but the Winters are relatively mild (usually), and spring is generally nice although we have a lot of thunderstorms. Autumn can be wonderful.

Mild in the winter and spring, summer doesn't matter cuz you will be at home. BTW I applaud you for the way you are approaching your decision. I has this conversation with my son last year, and he asked many of the questions that you are asking, thoughtful. Your dad should be proud, he raised a responsible young man

Wake. Winston Salem.

ok, so did you go to Wake? If so, as I said no disrespect to Wake grads. UNC is just the superior school from an academic perspective, even more so if the OP is trying to get into med school. The only other options would be Duke, which is outstanding as well or East Carolina......

You would definitely be wrong about that. They are at the very least, equal.

Well, while they may be about the same academically, UNC really is harder to get into if you are an out of state student than Wake Forest. UNC limits itself to something like 15% of out of state students, because state schools are required to serve the needs of state residents over those from out of state.

With Wake being private, they don't have these restrictions. In fact, about 3/4 of Wake's students are out of state students.

Archived