• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Broncos Country" Panther GM

Ahrum

Hello! Over on the Broncos Forums we do a game every year called the Broncos Country GM Game. People all over the forum pick a team to become the GM of during the offseason and attempt to turn their team into the next Super Bowl winners... hypothetically, of course. This year, I finally got the become the GM of the Panthers, which are my local favorite (I live in VA).

Honestly, I'm hoping this game not only gives me a better experience of the draft, but deepens my fandom of this franchise. I've always enjoyed watching the Panthers, but I've grown up a Broncos fan. My first ever NFL live game was Broncos vs Panthers in '08 when Delhomme shalacked us 30-10!

On to the nitty gritty, I've done a basic roster check and noticed most of the problems on defense came from injuries. From Thomas Davis to Captain Munnerlyn to Jon Beason the defense just couldn't get past all of the injuries. We go through a FA period (1 week into the actual FA is when we take over our teams) and the NFL draft.

What I'm hoping is to get some insight onto what the dedicated fans think are the best FA targets and draft picks.

From what I can tell, the DL needs to be completely upgraded as well as safety. LB is easily your strongest position, with loads of talent even in the depth chart.

On offense, Cam obviously had a record setting year and is one of the best QBs to be drafting in ages, but you're thin at WR since none seem to be a great #2. Naanee could be, but I don't think he got to show much this year.

Obviously I'm thinking I should be targeting DL and WR, but a hidden problem seems to be a guard, me-thinks.

I'm sorry for the winded post. I'm hoping to get to know everyone and become an active member and an active fan!

Let me add something to what Raging Bull said. You're kind of right in the sense that LB is a strength, but at the same time, it can be worrying. Our 2 best LB's are coming off season ending injuries. Personally, I wonder if Thomas Davis can even play anymore. LB is still a bit of a question mark. CB is another big need on this team. We need someone opposite Gamble quite badly. All our current options are more suited for the nickel. Finally, OT is another need that is often mentioned here. Otah keeps going down because of injuries and Gross is 31. Despite going to the probowl in 2010, Gross' best years are behind him, so drafting a good OT would also be a good option.

Here is how I rank our needs:

1. DT

2. CB

3. OT

4. LB

The most popular prospects around here are Brockers (definitely leading the race), Coples (hoping he can play at DE), Reiff and Claiborne. Devon Still is a guy that the media keeps talking about, but a lot of fans, myself included, aren't too keen on the idea. He has gotten hurt a lot, and we already have too many 1st round picks with injury problems.

Hope I helped.

Let me add something to what Raging Bull said. You're kind of right in the sense that LB is a strength, but at the same time, it can be worrying. Our 2 best LB's are coming off season ending injuries. Personally, I wonder if Thomas Davis can even play anymore. LB is still a bit of a question mark. CB is another big need on this team. We need someone opposite Gamble quite badly. All our current options are more suited for the nickel. Finally, OT is another need that is often mentioned here. Otah keeps going down because of injuries and Gross is 31. Despite going to the probowl in 2010, Gross' best years are behind him, so drafting a good OT would also be a good option.

Here is how I rank our needs:

1. DT

2. CB

3. OT

4. LB

The most popular prospects around here are Brockers (definitely leading the race), Coples (hoping he can play at DE), Reiff and Claiborne. Devon Still is a guy that the media keeps talking about, but a lot of fans, myself included, aren't too keen on the idea. He has gotten hurt a lot, and we already have too many 1st round picks with injury problems.

Hope I helped.

You have to remeber we're getting Gary Williams, Schwarts, and Byron Bell will have a offseason to get better. So even if Otah does his getting injuried thing we have ok back-ups. So OT or Oline isn't as big a need as some think.

I say the need order goes like

CB

DT

OLB

DE

Then maybe safety.

Thank you for all of the input! It seems Michael Brockers and Stephon Gilmore would be the go-to one-two in this draft for you guys. I'm hoping I can pull a good DT or DE during the pre-draft process.

I also had no idea Davis has torn his ACL 3 times. It'd be hard to imagine he could even play after that, no less be as good as he initially was. Dan Connor isn't the type of LB who can play multiple positions?

And it looks like Chris Rainey might be the speed guy we're lookin' for. Come actual draft day, I imagine he'll probably be in the fourth/fifth area, but it'd be a little harder for me because the people over in the Broncos forums are pretty much in love with him and anyone from Florida, so I could imagine that he'll end up getting selected pretty high.

How did Byron Bell play this past year, and how do your guards look? Do you expect any of them to walk during the first week of FA?

Thank you for all of the input! It seems Michael Brockers and Stephon Gilmore would be the go-to one-two in this draft for you guys. I'm hoping I can pull a good DT or DE during the pre-draft process.

I also had no idea Davis has torn his ACL 3 times. It'd be hard to imagine he could even play after that, no less be as good as he initially was. Dan Connor isn't the type of LB who can play multiple positions?

And it looks like Chris Rainey might be the speed guy we're lookin' for. Come actual draft day, I imagine he'll probably be in the fourth/fifth area, but it'd be a little harder for me because the people over in the Broncos forums are pretty much in love with him and anyone from Florida, so I could imagine that he'll end up getting selected pretty high.

How did Byron Bell play this past year, and how do your guards look? Do you expect any of them to walk during the first week of FA?

Dan Connor is a MLB only and a FA who most don't believe will be back. I thought Byron Bell was pretty bad, but he was an undrafted rookie and a lot of people are high on him. Both guys that are potential starting RGs are FAs, so you need to sign at least one of them (I would go with Schwartz as the first choice).

Archived