• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

is Peppers gone before/during/after Draft Day

bLACKpANTHER

The Panthers and Peppers are both no-nonsense actors. What each says should be taken at face value. We are COMFORTABLE paying Peppers for 2009, and signing our draft picks, because we have few picks, and they don't begin until the second round.

Peppers and Carey alone are in the driver's seat in regards to transactions. While that appears to hurt the Panther's position at the negotiating table, it also hurts the bargaining position of interested teams which is actually GOOD for the Panthers.

The Panthers are more prepared than any team in the NFL to draft a DE, should we need to do so, but we are also prepared not to. This offseasons has included some very intensive scouting for the Panthers.

Peppers' value to other teams increases because:

1) Peppers is by far the best DE available to teams across the NFL, including both free agents and the draft rookies.

2) Offensive coordinators consistently plan to stop JP on every play even if it means 2x coverage. No one knows when JP will take a play off, so they still have to plan for him not to.

3) He is not 30 yet.

4) He has neither off-field legal trouble, nor caused locker room or FO drama.

5) The Panthers have the cap space to pay Peppers and sign their draft picks.

6) His upside and potential to be disruptive is mostly unknown. What Peppers claimed was indeed true. He actually wasn't moved around much by our defensive coordinators.

7) The Panthers are obviously comfortable making no move at all, as they'd have no glaring holes whether he stays or goes.

8) Peppers may only leave if the Panthers have committed targets for which to spend an additional 16.8 million dollars, as it is standard operating procedure for the Panthers to keep their budget near the salary cap. That means specific players or expensive draft picks.

None of the above, he will be a Panther this coming year... Panthers want 2 1st round picks for him and they're not going to get that (which they've known all along).

I suspect they will keep him this year while they develop/acquire more talent on the DL and then trade him next year for a 1st round pick, so they can package their 2 1st round picks and move way up in the draft to land one of the nice QB prospects expected to come out.

i would be very happy if that happend!...only u say "then trade him next year for a 1st round pick"...r u saying trade him during the year?? cuz we wouldnt be able to trade him after the year

If he does not sign then none of this matters anyway. Correct me if I am wrong, but if he has not signed by Saturday then it is safe to say he will not be traded until after the draft if at all. I think he is getting really bad advise from his so called agent. I hate all this silents. Is there anyone who is afraid of a hold-out?

What really mega sux if Pep holds out (or doesn't sign the tender if you prefer that way of stating it)is that they don't get him on the field and they are still out the cap room.

If they want to trade him I think this year is the best for them to do so. After 2007, they wouldn't have gotten ISH, and after next year does anyone think Pep at almost 31 would fetch as much compensation as he would this year even if he has a good season in 2008? And that is provided he would sign the FT TWICE. I don't forsee that happening.

I don't think he has any other option but to perform. If he isn't traded before the draft. We will keep him. There is no way we trade him after and take 2 - 1st in 2010 and 2011.

5 days to go.

Go Panthers

Well, the SMART option would be to perform, but he has other options. He could just sit.

My thinking is Peppers did not see himself getting the sacks under the old defense.

I think Peppers wants to go down as a H O F

And did not see the oppurtunity to shine as much in the old defense

If Meeks just turns Pepper lose ,I think both sides will be happy.

And Peppers can pad his sack totals in an effort to pass Strauhan.

My thinking is Peppers did not see himself getting the sacks under the old defense.

I think Peppers wants to go down as a H O F

And did not see the oppurtunity to shine as much in the old defense

If Meeks just turns Pepper lose ,I think both sides will be happy.

And Peppers can pad his sack totals in an effort to pass Strauhan.

I would love this to happen, but if he really wanted to go down in the HOF, he would have more of a drive. After watching him play how he does, turning it on and off, and the 07 season, makes me think thats not the case. Hes had the capability to be that guy though.

Archived