• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock hits all the Huddle sore spots; Luck vs. Newton, AJ, and Coples

teeray

Mayock, the racist, also loved Jamarcus Russell. Go ahead and put that one into your "matrix" and figure out why he is still a racist. I know you can do it.

Mayock agrees with Rich about the Raiders. Eisen points out that Mayock knew JaMarcus Russell wouldn't work out due to his poor work ethic.

“The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life, but I still couldn’t take him in the first round — the guy doesn’t care about football. He doesn’t have the passion for the game, doesn’t have the work ethic, I don’t want him.

Huh?

You should probably step away from the computer. I am from the Internet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/108621/index.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/mayock-jamarcus-russells-pro-day-a-cautionary-tale/

i hate you guys for making me have to "defend" mayock because i don't like him either (although this might not be as much a defense but more a clarification...).

here's what he said about newton:

"The question is how well will NFL defenses adapt to what Carolina did a year ago and will Cam Newton continue to work as hard as he needs to to stay ahead of that curve?"
2 questions here...

"The question is how well will NFL defenses adapt to what Carolina did a year ago
there have been several threads about this. it's a good question. it's an honest question. some people say this is something to really be worried about and that it might bring about that dreaded sophomore slump that so many are concerned about. it can happen.

the second question, though, has people overreacting...

will Cam Newton continue to work as hard as he needs to to stay ahead of that curve?
i know it's easy to look at that question and throw out the disrespect card and for too many that ugly race card. did you notice something in that question? there's a certain word he used that implies he isn't implying the thing you think he's implying.

will Cam Newton continue to work as hard as he needs to to stay ahead of that curve?
can a person continue to do something they haven't done? no. stupid question. the implication there isn't that he hasn't been working as hard as he needs. it's that he has been working as hard as he needs. right?

now the question is...will he keep it up? well? will he? sure...maybe...he should...we have no reason to doubt it. but it's just a question. there wasn't some "i'm just not sure" statement at the end like there was with his pre-draft crappy criticisms.

now i'm still slightly perturbed by mayock's lack of ability and integrity to come back and say he was wrong about questioning whether or not cam's heart was in it. i blame peter king for that tweet he sent out and mayock's lack of research that people seem to think is impeccable.

it's without question that cam worked his butt off last year. now the question is, will he keep it at that level? will he keep that same work ethic? i'm sure he will, but then i'm a fan.

as far as luck vs. newton in the draft...let me ask this question.

who would you take in the draft if both of these guys were at the start of their career? peyton manning or tom brady? or drew brees? everyone would have a different opinion on that. there's no doubting peyton's intelligence. the dude is an OC behind center. is tom brady just a great QB or just a great system QB? is brees so good because most his games are in domes or is he just a great QB that can do it anywhere? these kind of questions have gone on for years and people will argue over them.

right now that question is being asked about newton and luck just like it was last year. those two will continue to have that question asked throughout their careers. RG3 may be thrown in there as well. just because someone doesn't pick newton doesn't mean that they are racist. it doesn't mean they aren't. it doesn't have to do anything with it.

btw...anyone notice the comments mayock made about RG3? mayock loves him. loves everything about him.

Mayock, the NFL Network’s lead draft analyst, said Wednesday on a conference call the Browns should do whatever is necessary to acquire Griffin, the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Baylor. That includes trading the fourth and 22nd picks to the Rams to get the No. 2 overall pick and ensure they land Griffin.

“I want to go get RG3. As much as I like Colt McCoy, I still think they have to look to upgrade that position and I think they have to do whatever it takes to get there. That’s the first thing,” Mayock said. “The second thing, I think it will be a hell of a ride. The more tape I put on of this kid, the more fun I have watching him.

“I was pleasantly surprised by his pocket awareness, his eyes down the field and his physical toughness is outstanding. He takes a lot of hits and it doesn’t bother him. All of those things mean a lot to me.”

Although Mayock said he “loves everything about the kid,” he has one concern that could make the ride with Griffin a bumpy one.

“He doesn’t throw with anticipation, mostly because he doesn’t have to,” Mayock said of Baylor’s spread offense that didn’t require the complicated reads necessary to succeed in the NFL. “He’s got great touch and accuracy medium and deep. He’s got arm strength, he’s got athletic ability, he takes hits. But he doesn’t anticipate throws. He waits until they develop and then throws them.

“My only question is, will he develop it? Where I think you’ll find it is throughout the process when teams meet with this kid and they sit down and they put the tape on and they break it down with him and talk football and ask him what he sees or doesn’t see.”

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/02/15/draft-expert-mike-mayock-says-browns-should-go-get-robert-griffin-iii/

yep. sounds like a racist to me.

re: luck...he said that luck isn't a once in a lifetime type QB and said he couldn't be put on the level with peyton. said more the level of sam bradford. yes. sam bradford. not peyton manning. sam frikkin bradford. and people are commenting on that a lot. some bordering on meltdown saying that andrew luck is going to make mayock "eat his words" at the combine.

go ahead and throw out that racist card if it makes you feel better or whatever. throw out that disrespect card. i don't think it's warranted here, but whatever.

just thought i would throw out a differing perspective.

ibtdefendingaracistbecauseimwhite crap.

...and this is important to remember: Mayock is a Philly guy, remember how Philly reacted when they drafted a black QB?

lol...how misinformed you are but nice try.

Philly reacted that way when they drafted McNabb because everyone wanted Ricky Williams but yeah.....it was a black thing. :rolleyes: Not to mention one of the most beloved QB's in Philly was and still is Randall Cunningham.

Regardless the connection that Mayock hates Cam because he is from Philly and they hate black QB's is hilarious.

So why does he love Robert Griffin?

I'm not saying what he said was racially motivated. In fact, I think it's asinine to guarantee that is was or was not.

I don't know Mayock, I've never met the guy. It's hard for me to make an informed opinion.

I will however say with certainty it is fair to question his motivation for calling into question Newton's work ethic at this point. It really makes no sense to me. Therefore, I think it's possible the comments could be motivated by race, or by his own ego and not wanting to be wrong, or maybe he just doesn't like Newton's cocky confident attitude.

I just hate it when people come on here and shoot down the possibility of race playing a part with garbage arguments, or their own self-righteous bullshit.

Mayock, the racist, also loved Jamarcus Russell. Go ahead and put that one into your "matrix" and figure out why he is still a racist. I know you can do it.

I love it. You assume that I'm a hyper aware race-a-phobe, willing to press the race button at a slip of the tongue.

I just hate it when people come on here and shoot down the possibility of race playing a part with garbage arguments, or their own self-righteous bullpoo.
i hate it that the race card is thrown out so freely.

you don't agree with what someone says about a black guy. he's gotta be a racist. :confused: weak and lazy.

lol...how misinformed you are but nice try.

Philly reacted that way when they drafted McNabb because everyone wanted Ricky Williams but yeah.....it was a black thing. :rolleyes: Not to mention one of the most beloved QB's in Philly was and still is Randall Cunningham.

Regardless the connection that Mayock hates Cam because he is from Philly and they hate black QB's is hilarious.

Yeah, I got a little carried away with that... shouldn't have applied a stereotype to complain about someone else applying a stereotype, my apologies.

Yes, he says:

but what cause has Cam given for him to raise that question? Will Andy Dalton continue to work as hard as he needs to? Who's to say Luck will work as hard as he needs to to be a successful NFL QB?

Yes, he says:

but what cause has Cam given for him to raise that question? Will Andy Dalton continue to work as hard as he needs to?

Cam has shown he gets frustrated

Cam has shown he allows himself to get away from mechanics that make him good.

.........Cam will have to work even harder this next year. Is it possible to imagine a scenario where Cam could get frustrated this year and he takes a step backwards? I would think so......Carolina is still a Steve Smith injury away from being a different offense.

i hate it that the race card is thrown out so freely.

you don't agree with what someone says about a black guy. he's gotta be a racist. :confused: weak and lazy.

I hate that too, just as much as you, since it perpetuates things. But at least with this Mayock thing there is some ambiguity as to why he is questioning his work ethic as apposed to Luck's.

Thank you..

And they seriously wonder where Mike gets that "Cam has work ethics" issue from.

As I've always felt about this man from the first time I saw him on NFLN, he's a self-righteous and extremely shallow man. He's great for the profession he is now part of.

Remember, this is the same man who tried to dimish all of Cam's first round draft abilites, while claiming how athletic and how high his ceiling was over the QB he was pushing to go in the top 5, Blaine Gabbert. Mike, IMO, was always talking out of both sides of his mouth when it came to Cam.

He's now all in love with RGIII because RG isn't threating the sports media's chosen QB Andrew Luck.

Archived