• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill

teeray

One thing that is hard to question is that he will already be a well coached and established run blocker.

yeah, you are 100% correct there.

If Hill doesn't catch 60 or 70 balls by his 2nd season. Are we having this same debate?

honestly, if he catches 30 or more in his 2nd year and he's here in Carolina that's a good thing and honestly, if he catches 50, it's good, BUT this debate will stick until he shakes that off, it's not his fault like it wasnt Cam's fault about the Auburn offense being what it was. Cam overcame that, Hill can too, but it's a risk, no question. Thomas took a full year to just become pretty good.

yeah, you are 100% correct there.

honestly, if he catches 30 or more in his 2nd year and he's here in Carolina that's a good thing and honestly, if he catches 50, it's good, BUT this debate will stick until he shakes that off, it's not his fault like it wasnt Cam's fault about the Auburn offense being what it was. Cam overcame that, Hill can too, but it's a risk, no question. Thomas took a full year to just become pretty good.

I was more talking about how you seem ready to give up on Lafell and Gettis and they have done nothing but show flashes of potential. While playing for the worst offense in 1 season and learning a new one with no Offseason in another.

I was asking if we draft Hill and he has the same numbers of lafell by his 2nd season will you be ready to give up on him to?

Who thinks we would actually draft a receiver with the first pick not named Blackmon Anyone??? So how many pages do we give to a player we have little interest in and won't draft. His combine assured he won't be coming here. Yeah it is the offseason and we have little else to talk about but I am going to focus more on players we actually might draft instead of those we won't. So don't expect me on any of the Luck threads either. After all, who really cares at this point.

I was more talking about how you seem ready to give up on Lafell and Gettis and they have done nothing but show flashes of potential. While playing for the worst offense in 1 season and learning a new one with no Offseason in another.

I was asking if we draft Hill and he has the same numbers of lafell by his 2nd season will you be ready to give up on him to?

i dont want Hill, he's too big a risk honestly, as for LaFell, he's shown flashes, but that's it, he's had big catches, but also had big drops and Gettis had an ok rookie year and showed flashes, but missed ALL of last year. i dont see Gettis or LaFell as go to guys. that doesnt mean i gave up on them, it means i dont trust them if Smith gets hurt and i dont.

i dont want Hill, he's too big a risk honestly, as for LaFell, he's shown flashes, but that's it, he's had big catches, but also had big drops and Gettis had an ok rookie year and showed flashes, but missed ALL of last year. i dont see Gettis or LaFell as go to guys. that doesnt mean i gave up on them, it means i dont trust them if Smith gets hurt and i dont.

What do you expect when 1 season they were playing in the worst offense in the league. The next they were in a locked out offseason learning a new system.

Plus have you seen the 1st 2 seasons of Reggie Wayne, and Roddy White.

Give the guys sometime it usually takes wr 3 years before they reach there potential.

Again, after the first round, you really need to think about the future and not so much immediate needs. Stephen Hill will be a stud in this league. What better time to bring in a guy who has future #1 WR written all over him? He can run the #4 WR this season. Special Teamer, deep threat. Smitty is 33, Gettis is coming off a serious knee injury. Lafell is not much more than a #3. Cam throws a good deep ball. Hill catches deep balls. If he is there at 40, you take him and laugh about it.

Who thinks we would actually draft a receiver with the first pick not named Blackmon Anyone??? So how many pages do we give to a player we have little interest in and won't draft. His combine assured he won't be coming here. Yeah it is the offseason and we have little else to talk about but I am going to focus more on players we actually might draft instead of those we won't. So don't expect me on any of the Luck threads either. After all, who really cares at this point.

My original OP was talking about of he is still there in the second round when we pick. He is still at best going to be the #3 WR off the board because he isn't going to go before Blackmon or Floyd and he will likely still get drafted behind Jeffrey (if he runs decent) and Kendall Wright (especially if he runs better at his pro day).

So there is a decent chance he is sitting there when we pick in the second.

Also keep in mind that Steve Smith is going to be 34 and going into the last year of his contract is we don't extend him. We need to start putting pieces in place for when he departs.

WR isn't our biggest need but it isn't locked down either.

My original OP was talking about of he is still there in the second round when we pick. He is still at best going to be the #3 WR off the board because he isn't going to go before Blackmon or Floyd and he will likely still get drafted behind Jeffrey (if he runs decent) and Kendall Wright (especially if he runs better at his pro day).

So there is a decent chance he is sitting there when we pick in the second.

If he is there in the second round I would definitely give him consideration. Especially if we address the corner and DT/DE issues in free agency and the first round.

Also keep in mind that Steve Smith is going to be 34 and going into the last year of his contract is we don't extend him. We need to start putting pieces in place for when he departs.

WR isn't our biggest need but it isn't locked down either.

There is no doubt that we need to address the number 1 receiver issue in the next 2 or 3 years definitely. The discussion is whether this is the year or not. If the defense wasn't so pitiful last year, there are a number of guys who could help us out at receiver this year. But for me we have to fix the defense first.

What do you expect when 1 season they were playing in the worst offense in the league. The next they were in a locked out offseason learning a new system.

Plus have you seen the 1st 2 seasons of Reggie Wayne, and Roddy White.

Give the guys sometime it usually takes wr 3 years before they reach there potential.

i am not giving up, do you see me saying that we should cut them!!! i just dont think they are number one WRs and until they prove me wrong, i will say that, as of now they arent. as for White, i think he always had the skills, just not the QB.

There is no doubt that we need to address the number 1 receiver issue in the next 2 or 3 years definitely. The discussion is whether this is the year or not. If the defense wasn't so pitiful last year, there are a number of guys who could help us out at receiver this year. But for me we have to fix the defense first.

Just to play devil's advocate say that Smitty declines an extension, we struggle again next year, and he walks after next season to play for a contending team or retires like he thought about doing after 2010. Where does that leave us with our franchise QB and our offense with no legit #1 receivers?

Just to play devil's advocate say that Smitty declines an extension, we struggle again next year, and he walks after next season to play for a contending team or retires like he thought about doing after 2010. Where does that leave us with our franchise QB and our offense with no legit #1 receivers?

He already said that he plans to retire a Panther and thinks he has 3 or 4 more years left to play. After 2010 I think everyone including the fans wanted to quit. After 2011 and the numbers he put up I think he actually started to look at the Hall of Fame again and whether he could reach those numbers. I think he wrote that off after 2009 and 2010 but honestly I think it is back on the table as at least a realistic goal again like he used to talk about. I also think he believes this team could make a long playoff run and he has waited for the chance to play in the playoffs for the past 3 seasons. He wants a ring like everyone does. I think he believes this team could make a run at it.

I think he is here for the next couple of years barring serious injury.

It's just the f'in combine. This guy didn't catch more than 3 passes a game, in the ACC!! Not a baller

i agree it's just the combine, but the 3 passes a game is NOT his fault. Georgia Tech's offense is a heavily run team with very little QB play and Tech's QB play is just awful

Archived