• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we don't need Quinton Coples

holycrikey

Anyone that can take the pain that must come from that is a badass. And this is coming from a guy that has tattoos in some of the most painful places you can get them.

If he is anything like what Peppers was I don't care if he has a dick branded onto his forehead.

I was an ATO in college and we did have some hazing but nothing so stupid as a brand. That stuff is actually illegal and constitutes hazing which is prohibited at UNC. I don't see how they get away with it unless they convince the college system that the guys did it voluntarily. Even then the pressure to conform and "be a man" makes it hard to not join in. Add alcohol to the mix and there you go.

I don't think branding and hazing are related in college frats anymore

You don't think branding pledges is a form of extreme hazing?

According to stophazing.org, hazing activities are generally considered to be physically abusive, hazardous, and/or sexually violating. The specific behaviors or activities within these categories vary widely among participants, groups and settings. While alcohol use is common in many types of hazing, other examples of typical hazing practices include personal servitude; sleep deprivation and restrictions on personal hygiene; yelling, swearing and insulting new members/rookies; being forced to wear embarrassing or humiliating attire in public; consumption of vile substances or smearing of such on one's skin; brandings; physical beatings; binge drinking and drinking games; sexual simulation and sexual assault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=33004

Apparently since many fraternities brand you after you join they aren't included as hazing practices. I guess you can't outlaw stupidity.

No, not as a mandatory thing and not in the case of Cope especially. What about the size and placement of these brands tells you he was in any way reluctant?

wikipedia.. funny

I think he wanted it whether it was required or not and I think he is an idiot to want it.

I don't think you have to be branded anymore though. With hazing outlawed even when I was in the early 90's and Bullying being the talk of the town everywhere, I just don't see how they could ever get away with it.

I could be wrong though, and usually am

And if you get branded you are property much like cattle. The cow didn't have a choice but is smart enough to run away if given the chance. People who want to be branded have to be pretty damn stupid.

i think you're stupid for feeling so strongly about something that has absolutely no effect on you.

Archived