• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

JR4's Pre-FA Mocking

jramsey4

After the combine I am more convinced we need to trade back. Really the value (value to me means elite player at a position of need in the top 10) at 9 for us will just not be there (Decastro maybe). A team might be willing to trade up to get Tannerhill or Richardson. If we can get even a 3rd we should do it (as there are a ton of guys in the 3rd I like) maybe we can squeak out a 2nd even. Most of this Mock will seem the same as my pre-combine mock aside from the top.

Mock Offseason:

Resign Hangman

Resign Anderson

Release Clausen

Restructure Wharton

Restructure Davis

Im probably forgetting some scrubs like Kiesser and Applewhite that need resigning as they are cheap.

Free Agent

Jason Jones UT – Titans

I only want one mid-level free agent guy and that one guy is Jones and its looking like he will be available. The man is a straight up beast in the interior (watch the link below and remember that was when he was a rookie). The Titans last year needed more pass rush on the outside at DE and switched him and are still wanting that which is why he is walking. This is a mistake his ideal position just so happens to be our biggest need UT. He is one of the best interior pass rushers in the league and we are in desperate need of one. Since he had a down year (once again playing out of position) he should come at within our price range even when our cap space is so thin. Just having consistent interior pressure could completely change our D. That with some draft Talent and getting back Beason and maybe even Davis and this D could be special with RR on the job, Thats why my draft is has 4 O players. Once you shore up NT and then #2 CB in the 2nd this D is going to be nasty.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d80da1631/WK-16-GMC-Defensive-Player-of-the-Week

Draft:

1st Pick: Dontai Poe NT

In this mock I am assuming we traded back into the mid-teens and picked up a 3rd and 4th. With the signing of Jones the next biggest position of need is a run stuffer and Poe is as good as they come at that. Not only is he a massive (6'4 350 lbs) he is extremely strong (44 reps) and ran a sub 5 40. He is extremely athletic and has a strong work ethic. His lack of domination against lower level competition is worrying but the guy has a ton of potential and could contribute in run D right away (which we are in need of as well). Obviously if Decastro is still here I would probably still draft him but for the sake of not repeating myself Poe is another guy I like.

2nd Round: Trumaine Johnson CB

As I said in the last mock 6'2 205 lbs Trumaine Johnson is my Fav CB prospect in this draft which is why I doubt he would be there in the 3rd. He is a converted receiver and thus has tremendous ball skills and at his size he can fight for the ball. He has excellent potential in both man and zone (however he is very inexperienced in zone) and hes big enough to cover just about any receiver. Doesn't have elite speed (4.50) but can keep up with all but the fastest receivers. He plays with physicality in the run game but to often goes for the big play instead of wrapping up. Johnson has the potential to be one of the best DB's in this draft.

4th Round: TY Hilton WR

Hilton is one of those prospects you wonder why there is no hype about them. The kid is a straight up game-changer. As a freshman he had 41 rec 1,013 yards and 7 td receiving, 36 returns for 843 yards and 1 TD at kick return, and 18 ret 266 yards and 1 td at punt return. He was bothered by nagging injuries as a sophomore but still led the team in receiving (57-632-5) and kickoff returns (22-633-1), then returned to form strong enough to be named Sun Belt Player of the Year for his play in 2010 (59-848-5 rec, 30-282-4 rush, 29-833-2 KR, 20-126 PR), helping FIU win its first Sun Belt title. This year he had another strong year (71-1038-7 rec, 18-548-0 KR, 8-186-1). He has outstanding hands and YAC ability as well as being a hell of a good return man. He is undersized (5-10 190) but that stereotype should long be dead. He has excellent speed and a very good work ethic. In short a solid eventual replacement for Smith.

UDFA:

Darron Thomas QB

I know some wont agree with me but Thomas reminds me so much of a poor mans Cam. He is no where near the athlete or the physical stature (he's 6'3 220) as Cam but the two have similar skill sets. Thomas has a pretty good arm and can make any throw. He also has pretty good touch and at times has unreal ball placement (similar to Cam at Auburn). He has the athletic ability to come in if Cam was to have to come out and not have to alter the playcalling much.

I would love Jones in FA, but if we get him I would stay away from DT in the draft. We are gonna keep Fua, McClain and probably Edwards on the roster for sure. I think Neblett, who was only a second year player, might be better than either Fua or McClain, so I would hate to see him go and there is no way we keep 6 DTs.

If we get DT in FA, I would go best OL, CB or LB in the first

Good job man. Love the highlights and the picks make sense. You also explain the picks better than me or most that do these mocks. If and this is a big IF we could trade down into the 20's and gain a 3rd and another 4th i think alot of us could come up with a pretty good mock as well. Also as i told another guy to think Poe is gonna last out of the top 15 is wishful.

Good job man. Love the highlights and the picks make sense. You also explain the picks better than me or most that do these mocks. If and this is a big IF we could trade down into the 20's and gain a 3rd and another 4th i think alot of us could come up with a pretty good mock as well. Also as i told another guy to think Poe is gonna last out of the top 15 is wishful.

Thanks. Actually I checked the Draft Value chart and the Eagles 15 and there 3rd and 4th are about even for our 9th. Anything later then that the other team gets way more value. Poe will probably go in the 15-20 range if not Decastro might still be there. Either way I don't want to stay at 9 unless we have no choice.

JR, I would be so pissed with this draft--not kidding. But I appreciate the fact that you put it out there with detailed explanations. I try to keep an open mind, and this helps reconsider players that I had written off. Good stuff.

Here is why I do not like Poe. The combine was a freak show--very impressive. However, I am guessing he had that same ability during the fall, when he was playing at Memphis. He was second team all-conference. Not all-america, not All-SEC, I am talking All-Conf USA. His numbers there were average. Yes, he was double teamed, but so were Still. Cox, and Brockers. He had a rep for laziness. I am not sold on him. Remember too, that something like 38% of DTs taken in the first round succeed in the NFL. I see Poe getting abused my NFL guards.

Do not see us signing another vet DT and drafting one high.

We will only keep 4 dt's. Rivera has continuously paraised Fua, McClain, Neblett, and Shirley for what they were able to do with:

1. No OTA's

2. No vet at DT (having to carry the full load)

3. All the other injuries on defense

4. Brand new system

I think that Poe, Brockers, Still, etc are a likely upgrade to Fua/McClain. But, after spending two 3rd round picks, they are NOT likely to scrap them (especially since it typically takes a season or two for DT's to develop).

Remember the likes of Tony Brown, who we cut when he was in his first years. He has gone on to be a very good DT.

Signing another high pick rookie at DT will NOT help this team next year. I have a feeling (not fact) that we have 75% chance of NOT taking DT in the first or second round.

JR, I would be so pissed with this draft--not kidding. But I appreciate the fact that you put it out there with detailed explanations. I try to keep an open mind, and this helps reconsider players that I had written off. Good stuff.

Here is why I do not like Poe. The combine was a freak show--very impressive. However, I am guessing he had that same ability during the fall, when he was playing at Memphis. He was second team all-conference. Not all-america, not All-SEC, I am talking All-Conf USA. His numbers there were average. Yes, he was double teamed, but so were Still. Cox, and Brockers. He had a rep for laziness. I am not sold on him. Remember too, that something like 38% of DTs taken in the first round succeed in the NFL. I see Poe getting abused my NFL guards.

Do not see us signing another vet DT and drafting one high.

We will only keep 4 dt's. Rivera has continuously paraised Fua, McClain, Neblett, and Shirley for what they were able to do with:

1. No OTA's

2. No vet at DT (having to carry the full load)

3. All the other injuries on defense

4. Brand new system

I think that Poe, Brockers, Still, etc are a likely upgrade to Fua/McClain. But, after spending two 3rd round picks, they are NOT likely to scrap them (especially since it typically takes a season or two for DT's to develop).

Remember the likes of Tony Brown, who we cut when he was in his first years. He has gone on to be a very good DT.

Signing another high pick rookie at DT will NOT help this team next year. I have a feeling (not fact) that we have 75% chance of NOT taking DT in the first or second round.

First of all I would take Decastro over Poe but I did that my first mock (wheres the fun with repeating myself). Second Fua and Mcclain are not going anywhere I agree I think we would go into the season with 5 DT (Jones, Poe, Mcclain, Fua, and Neblett). Third our DT are average at best if you have the opportunity to upgrade such a critical piece of D you do it. Fourth we have to agree to disagree on Poe. I actually liked him pre-combine but he probably did up his stock 10 picks (he was always going to be a late 1st). Isn't that the main reason everybody was hyping Brockers because he was extremely athletic with a lot of upside. Poe to me has Ngata upside and you don't get into his shape (and put up 44 reps) by being lazy.

We have two gapping holes on our D (along with a medium need at #2 CB). A UT that can bring interior pressure and a big bodied run stuffer I addressed both.

nobody lazy can put up 225 44 times.

I agree. How does a 350 lb DT who is that athletic NOT make first team all conference in Conf USA? Were there 2 DTs there who performed better? To me, I fear the WORKOUT WARRIOR tag.

Lazy is referring to his motor. He has the rumor going around that he took plays off.

I am just down on drafting a DT--so I am biased. He could be great.

JR--the reason I do not see taking Poe or any DT in the first has a lot to do with what Hatter said--the DT play improved, and I think it is too early to bring in another DT.

I see LB CB, and DE as our biggest needs. While the DTs could be improved, they are improving. Thomas Davis is probably done, and if not, he might need upgrading. Beason's injury is a nasty one that usually has a 2-year recovery period--if successful. Finally, I do not like the collection of DEs we have, but I like the potential. Keiser and Hardy are on the cusp. CJ is good for 10 sacks and plays the run well. I just dont get the philosophy at DE with Applewhite and Tucker being added. I would like 2 studs and 2 with potential. Not 1 stud, 2 w/ potential, and 2 34 OLBs. Just me.

I see your points. There are just so many unknowns and different ways to go.

I agree. How does a 350 lb DT who is that athletic NOT make first team all conference in Conf USA? Were there 2 DTs there who performed better? To me, I fear the WORKOUT WARRIOR tag.

Lazy is referring to his motor. He has the rumor going around that he took plays off.

I am just down on drafting a DT--so I am biased. He could be great.

Memphis strength and conditioning coach said he was a workout warrior and that if he wasnt playing ball that he would be in the world strongest man comp(seen it on tv). but him taking plays off could be because he was on the field so much. have to remember that there was no talent there around him and he faced doubles every game.

i want whoever the best DL is on the board, unless Morris falls.

Archived